Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 415
Lens hoods for kx 18-55mm and 55-300mm

Hello... I have been reading up and shooting as much as possible since my kx acquisition. I have a question about lens hoods... I had a scare/slight fumble with my kx the other night which has prompted me to get a set of lens hoods for the dal18-55 and dal55-300. I was wondering if it really mattered which one. I like the flower pedal style and I was wondering if someone could link the cheapest, yet functional recommendation.

I was going to buy a pair of the cheapy, flower pedal ones found on eBay for about $3 a pop. But I figured I should check with the masses.

Let me know what your take is...?

07-02-2010, 02:18 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 49,794
Having a proper hood is a good investment, so unless those cheap ones are nearly identical to the original Pentax hoods for these lenses, I'd go ahead and get the original ones.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-03-2010, 05:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 415
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Having a proper hood is a good investment, so unless those cheap ones are nearly identical to the original Pentax hoods for these lenses, I'd go ahead and get the original ones.
okay... So finding the actual hood for the 18-55 kit lens does not seem to be a problem, however the da l 55-300 does not seem to exist. Maybe I'm blind...does anyone know if andvof the generic knock off hoods work well with this lens?
07-03-2010, 05:56 AM   #4
Junior Member
cloudphreak's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ashburn, VA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 30
Before you shell out for the real Pentax hood for the 18-55, check this one out:

Amazon.com: Fotodiox Lens Hood for Pentax Ph-Rba SMC DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II Zoom Lens as 38741: Camera & Photo

I just got it, and it fits my DAL 18-55 just fine. And it was significantly less expensive than the Pentax version.

07-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 415
Original Poster
I am sold on the one you linked there buddy, but I was wondering if anyone knows if they make one similar that would work right on the da l 55-300 Ed?

I would be interested in getting one fir both of my kx kit lenses.

Anyone know of a cheap hood alternative to the hood made for the tele kit lens?
07-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member
GerryL's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 2,731
The one for the 55-300mm is very hard to find if any one manufactures them.
I am also interested in one so I can get a hood for my FA-J 70-300mm.
How I wished they made something for the 55-300mm like the one for the 18-55mm.
If anyone has news for this, I'm also interested.
07-04-2010, 09:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,562
Well, Mac, the short end of the 55-300 is long enough that you ought to be able to use an ordinary round one, ....I don't have a copy of the lens, but it should be able to take a reasonably-deep one without problems. The rubber kind that has three positions probably would work well, too. They extend out nice and far and you can fold them back if it wants to vignette when at the wider end.
07-05-2010, 03:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 415
Original Poster
Is a flower petal hood typically used on a tele lens like this, or is a standard round hood more commonly used.

07-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #9
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,802
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Well, Mac, the short end of the 55-300 is long enough that you ought to be able to use an ordinary round one, ....I don't have a copy of the lens, but it should be able to take a reasonably-deep one without problems. The rubber kind that has three positions probably would work well, too. They extend out nice and far and you can fold them back if it wants to vignette when at the wider end.
I bought a 58mm 3-stage collapsible rubber hood. It doesn't vignette even in the extended position, but it's huge in diameter and looks awful. It tends to pop back to the mid position easily. I hate the thing.

I use a Zeikos hood. It doesn't provide as much coverage as the original hood, but it protects as well as the 3-stage and isn't as ugly. Amazon.com: Zeikos ZE-LH58 58mm Soft Rubber Lens Hood: Camera & Photo
The 55-300mm needs a telephoto hood but I haven't found anything better than the Zeikos yet except for the original hood (stupid price, I refuse to buy one).

QuoteOriginally posted by mackloon Quote
Is a flower petal hood typically used on a tele lens like this, or is a standard round hood more commonly used.
Typically petal hoods are only used for wide angle lenses.

Last edited by audiobomber; 07-05-2010 at 09:39 AM.
07-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 415
Original Poster
That is what I thought on the petal style hoods...although I have seen them used. So the Zeikos is the way to go eh? I assume your first 3 stage hood was replaced by the Zeikos.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Can you confirm the ability to mount filters, lens caps. and perhaps a threaded adapter with a raynox 150 on the front with the hood attached?
07-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #11
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,802
QuoteOriginally posted by mackloon Quote
That is what I thought on the petal style hoods...although I have seen them used. So the Zeikos is the way to go eh? I assume your first 3 stage hood was replaced by the Zeikos.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Can you confirm the ability to mount filters, lens caps. and perhaps a threaded adapter with a raynox 150 on the front with the hood attached?
I still have the 3-stage but I only use the Zeikos. It does accept filters and caps without having to remove the hood. All you do is fold it back and screw in your filter, then pop the hood forward. Similarly for the Raynox 150, pop the hood back and clip or screw the Raynox adaptor in. The only difference is, you can't pop the hood forward over the Raynox clip. You can pop the hood forward over a Raynox in a threaded adapter, but it doesn't provide any shade. Sometimes I use a 49mm rubber hood on the front of the Raynox.

Personally I like the Raynox clip-on adapter for any lens that will take it (i.e. 52-67mm filter diameter). I only use a threaded adapter for my 49mm primes.

Last edited by audiobomber; 07-05-2010 at 11:17 AM.
07-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 415
Original Poster
What is the length on you 49mm hood for the raynox...?

Nvm the front on that thing is 43mm right?
07-05-2010, 06:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,802
QuoteOriginally posted by mackloon Quote
What is the length on you 49mm hood for the raynox...?

Nvm the front on that thing is 43mm right?
The length of the hood is not a spec you'll be able to find. I use a 49mm diameter hood for 50mm standard lens. Most of these hoods would work. You could use the same hood on any of your 49mm dia Pentax primes. 49mm lens hood

The front thread of the Raynox when it's in its adapter is 49mm. What lenses do you have? If yoiu want to use the Raynox on more than one lens, the clip-on adapter is ideal.
07-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 415
Original Poster
I am going to mount it on a dal 55/300 kit lend that was part of the recent kx acquisition I made.

I ordered one with the adapter, but for a more stable mount for dedicated macroing I figured the step down was the way to go.

I am not actually sure how this mounts, and since my shipment had been delayed I figured the hood would be a nice addon.

So I am going dal55/300 -> 58mm to 49mm step down -> raynox 150

I would like to fit a hood in there fir contrast and protection.

Where would you mount it, and which hood would you put in there?
07-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #15
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,802
QuoteOriginally posted by mackloon Quote
I am going to mount it on a dal 55/300 kit lend that was part of the recent kx acquisition I made.
With the clip-on you can also use the Raynox on your standard zoom.

QuoteOriginally posted by mackloon Quote
I ordered one with the adapter, but for a more stable mount for dedicated macroing I figured the step down was the way to go.
The clip is stable, I`ve used Raynoxes a lot and never had one detach.

QuoteOriginally posted by mackloon Quote
I am not actually sure how this mounts, and since my shipment had been delayed I figured the hood would be a nice addon.
IME a 58mm hood for the 55-300 is a necessity and a 49mm hood for the Raynox is well worth it, but not necessary.

QuoteOriginally posted by mackloon Quote
So I am going dal55/300 -> 58mm to 49mm step down -> raynox 150
That won`t work. The Raynox thread is 43mm.

QuoteOriginally posted by mackloon Quote
I would like to fit a hood in there fir contrast and protection. Where would you mount it, and which hood would you put in there?
IMO: Definitely get a 58mm hood for the 55-300. Use the Raynox clip-on adapter. Get a 49mm hood for the Raynox, or not. It`s not a necessity but good to have.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
flower, hoods, kx, lens, lens hoods, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FA*300mm f4.5 Tripod collar finally. Lens hoods as well Peter Zack Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 18 06-18-2010 10:13 PM
Why No Twin Kit lens optin for Pentax K-X White (18-55mm & DL 55-300mm) ajaya Ask B&H Photo! 8 06-01-2010 10:12 PM
For Sale - Sold: Brand New DA L 18-55mm and 55-300mm lens chemxaj Sold Items 3 02-13-2010 05:51 AM
lens hoods, lens caps, UV filters and camera storage Ed in GA Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 12-22-2007 01:40 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:56 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top