Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

cokin filter system question

Is it correct to assume that the filters and the holder will fit on any of the adapters that attach to the lens? So you would simply by the connectors for your various lens sizes and you can use the holder and filters on all of your lens ? the website doesnt explain it very well at least to me

07-02-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes that is right - the filter holder part has a slot on the back - it either comes with or you have to buy (can't remember) the different filter sized rings - each ring is obviously a different size filter thread, then they spread out with a flat circular surface that slots into the filter holder.
07-02-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks I will have to look at the costs but to me that seems like possibly a cheaper way to go than buying multiple diffrent size lens.
07-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another option is to buy a filter that fits your largest lens (in my case, 67mm) and then buy step up ring adapters for you other lenses so you just have to buy one of each filter you need (polarizer, ND graduated etc) and then use them for all lenses. I prefer this option because it saves money, while permitting you to buy higher quality than that offered by Cokin. Something to think about...

07-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

I use Cokin and love it, because in addition to one filter for all of your lenses, it's one HOOD.

You can buy the inexpensive rings and holder off eBay, and 3 or 4 cheap hood extensions which clip onto the holder. You add or don't add hood modules to cover the FL you're using.

Buying the largest filter and step- up rings to accommodate all of your lenses doesn't address the hood needs of various FLs.
07-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Worth noting is also that there are several sizes for the filters, so if you just buy a filter for cokin without checking size it might not fit your holder. (There aren't as many sizes as filter threads, really only two you need to worry about, but still.)
07-03-2010, 07:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Right, Drougge. There's three sizes I know of: A, P, and Z, the latter of which is quite big and not common at all. Most will be A series, the smallest.

As cost savings go, Gokenin, that really depends on how many filters you like to use and on how many lenses: I've actually found that it's not such a big deal, though they're really nice for graduated filters, cause you can place the darker part wherever you like. The polarizers are unfortunately no great shakes, so if you're looking for nice polarizing, that tends to mean the cost savings isn't huge.

I like to use two sizes of filters, one big, and one smaller, and step-ring them. That saves cost and weight about as well for me, especially since I don't use filters very much.

But Cokins are nice for a lot of things, and if you like to use lots of different filters, they're lots of fun, especially if you have time to fuss.

I like their diffusers a lot. Don't miss out on those, if you go that route and work with people.

07-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

One thing you can't beat a Cokin system for is GND's or any other type of split filter.
07-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm new to the Cokin system. I inherited a few recently and I really like what I see so far. I've been playing with them on my digital because I don't have the correct adapter ring yet to use them on my SPII, but so far I haven't noticed any big issues with them badly affecting the pictures I've taken.

I just got the sunset and the blue and white graduated and a couple of the star filters and I'm really looking forward to experimenting a bit with those. I can't say all of them appeal to me. Some of those spot ones just don't do much for me, but I like the gradients and the other special effects ones and I do plan on getting a couple more of those plus your basic R,Y,G, B set.
07-08-2010, 02:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Cokin's ND filters are total crap on digital bodies. They reduce visible light but not IR light so all your images will come out with pink tints. BE AWARE! If you're looking for a Cokin style system, spend the cash and go for the Lee Filters setup instead.
07-08-2010, 03:32 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
Cokin's ND filters are total crap on digital bodies. They reduce visible light but not IR light so all your images will come out with pink tints. BE AWARE! If you're looking for a Cokin style system, spend the cash and go for the Lee Filters setup instead.
I SOMETIMES get a slight blue tint on the K20 but not pink (and the grads certainly don't combine well with my 10 stop B&W ND) - the different sensors probably behave differently. No doubting the superiority of Lee filters (and the expense!) although the seem to be having production problems with ND/ND grads at the moment. They haven't been available for some months - just as I was starting to retool!
07-08-2010, 03:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Talisker Quote
I SOMETIMES get a slight blue tint on the K20 but not pink (and the grads certainly don't combine well with my 10 stop B&W ND) - the different sensors probably behave differently. No doubting the superiority of Lee filters (and the expense!) although the seem to be having production problems with ND/ND grads at the moment. They haven't been available for some months - just as I was starting to retool!
The amount of affect it has on your image is based on the IR filter on the sensor of your camera. The K10D has a fantastic IR filter and won't show any effect from using Cokin filters, however the K20, K-7, and K-x don't fare as well in my use. I get blue tinting on the K-7 and K20 and pink on the K-x.
07-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

No problems on my Fuji P&S so far. Guess they're playing nicely with my sensor. I actually like the Cokin polarizer lens better then my regular one actually. It seems to take pics that are just a bit less contrasty which in this case is good. Every now and again I do like to use the polarizer, but the circular one I bought seems to produce images that are just a bit too fake in terms of the sky sometimes. The Cokin one doesn't. I honestly don't get the point of the spot filters though. I've got several and I'm just not into them at all. The polarizer, gradients and stars I like, but the rest I can live without.
10-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #14

Is there any way i can use the screw-on pole filter i already have together with a cokin z-pro system?