Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2007, 05:10 AM   #1

Filters needed for ist*

Hi everyone,
I am very much an ametuer with thid digital stuff, and would like comments on which filters would be useful for my ist*.
I do mostly landscapes and nature shooting, but some people too.
Thanks
Any advice would be greatly appreciated..
I have read some threads about stacking and using step up and step down converters..What does that mean?:confused

08-14-2007, 07:26 AM   #2
Inactive Account

A circular polarizer is probably the best filter you could buy. Stay away from linear polarizers, as they don't play very well with built in auto-focus and metering of most modern cameras.

Some photographers always place UV or (in the old days) skylight filters on their lenses as a protective barrier. The idea is that if the filter gets scratched during cleaning or use, no harm done. Others don't do this because they argue that the filter degrades the image.

Step up and step down rings are cheap inexpensive threaded rings that allows you to put on a different sized filter to any given lens of a different size.

All lenses have a size, and they very quite a bit. The standard ranges from 49mm up to 86mm. A step up ring will allow you to place a larger filter onto a smaller lens. This will not give you a nice vignette.

A step down ring will allow you to attach a smaller filter onto a larger lens. This will cause the corners to darken (vignette).

Most filters are screw threaded. However there are different systems of filters. For example, the Cokin system consists of a standardized filter holder along with various sized filter rings to attach the holder onto the lens. The filters themselves are squares that you simply push into the filter holder.

You can stack various filters together to get different effects. You simply screw several same sized filters together, or, as with the Coking system, push several square filters into the filter holder.
08-14-2007, 09:42 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have to agree with Chako; the only filter you will need is a circular polorizer. All other filters that we use for effects on film can be produced with post-processing software like Photoshop. That is not to say you can't use filters, but they are not cheap to purchase. (But then again, neither is some software!)
08-14-2007, 09:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Circular polarize AND a linear polarizer (circular on first) gives a workable adjustable neutral density. Several grades of neutral density and/or graduated neutral density (from light to dark on a single filter).

A didymium intensifier. A warming filter like the Tiffen 812 or a couple of filters from the color compensating series (orange end).

The traditional red, orange, yellow green from B&W will also work for similar effects in digital when converting to B&W is desired.

An IR filter.

Various effects filters: netting (white and black), fog and soft-focus, center spots in neutral and color. Various star-burst and specular highlight enhancing filters. Various sunrise/set graduateds in tobacco, mauve, etc.

QuoteOriginally posted by tclark1960 Quote
Hi everyone,
I am very much an ametuer with thid digital stuff, and would like comments on which filters would be useful for my ist*.
I do mostly landscapes and nature shooting, but some people too.
Thanks
Any advice would be greatly appreciated..
I have read some threads about stacking and using step up and step down converters..What does that mean?:confused

08-14-2007, 02:24 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Not sure if the OP knows this, but you can get some nice special effects...free with this program...

Opanda PhotoFilter - Professional photography filter imitation software

Opanda Photo Filter. I use it and find it very useful. Download it and I am sure you won't be disappointed.
08-14-2007, 06:54 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I am new to digital and was a real ametuer with film. But I like to take pics and was curious about the filters. I had read somewhere that a person really didnt need most filters that were used when film shooting. I seen a pic on here with an infrared filter that was very neat. I really liked it, I think for now I will try to get an infrared filter and the polarizer. Maybe after a little time, I can try some others...Just didnt want to waste time and money getting something that would collect dust!
Thanks again to all....
: )