Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
Pentaxian

6x7 > PK Adapter reliability issues...

I've been using a 6x7 lens on my K20D for a short time now with the use of a 67 > PK Adapter from eBay. Overall, the adapter works beautifully, however, I noticed when it came time to mount telephoto lenses and make use of the built in tripod mount that the unit wobbles. After a short inspection, I found that though the mount flange feels solid with my hands, however I noticed a wobble(back and forth) once mounted on the plate with lens. By the looks of things, it looks as though the flange itself is loose against the housing of the unit. And though there are no visible fasteners(per say) between the adapter and the flange, there must be some way in which it is attached in order for it to move.

So I wanted to know if anyone else had encountered this problem and... if by chance they found a way to rectify it.

PS. I purchased the mount off eBay. It was the cheapest unit I could find(56 USD). Though I don't think its unfair to expect to use the product as it was intended to be used imo.

07-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Okay I just wanted to update this thread and say that I managed to find the mount, fastener location(two small screws). Which left me completely stupefied as to how flimsy and unreliable these are made.

Not only does the entire assembly rely on two micro fasteners, BUT... the surface tolerances of the parts themselves are less than ideal... Which leaves us with two seriously undersized fasteners and... a very rickety assembly. TBH. from what I am seeing on this unit, I wouldn't hang anything off this mount if you value your equipment. Because there is no way it can withstand anything in terms of stress or weight in any reliable way.

It looks like there may be enough material to bore the threads to accommodate some better suited fasteners, but in its current state, I wouldn't trust anything to it.

I'll take some pictures and post them shortly...

Last edited by JohnBee; 07-05-2010 at 10:01 AM.
07-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you have the link to the original auction you purchased this from? Thanks.
07-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Do you have the link to the original auction you purchased this from? Thanks.
This is the unit: Pentax 67 lens to PK Pentax adapter For K200D K20D K-X on eBay.ca (item 280518286010 end time 08-Jul-10 05:13:11 EDT)

07-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #5

fix it yourself?

Ebay is full of cowboy sellers, often from China, selling "best quality" adapters and the like. It costs too much to even consider returning the faulty item, so they know you will give up on that, and they just get away with palming rubbish off on the un-suspecting buyer.

Is it possible you could fix it yourself? I reckon two-part rapid setting epoxy would be worth trying. I use it all the time, (the local brand is Rapid Araldite) to make adapters and fix odd bits of photo-gear. It sticks just about anything to anything, and sets in about 10 minutes. It is fully cured after 24 hours.

To give you an idea how good it is, I used it to bond two filter rings face-to-face to allow reversing of a 50mm lens onto the front of my 100mm lens for extreme macro work. The thinnest of glue lines will quite happily support the weight of one lens onto the end of the other one.

Hope this helps.
07-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote
I reckon two-part rapid setting epoxy would be worth trying. I use it all the time, (the local brand is Rapid Araldite) to make adapters and fix odd bits of photo-gear. It sticks just about anything to anything, and sets in about 10 minutes. It is fully cured after 24 hours.
Excellent suggestion!
I have some alum. glue here but since the parts are anodized I doubt they would bond reliably. But your method sounds quite good and so that's most likely what I'm going to do. TBH. I really like the idea of a mount on adapter. The location and balance seems perfect for my 165/200mm lenses.

Thanks for the tip btw!