Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
Great review. I received mine a few days ago too and wasn't that impressed either. However I am glad I got it because it showed me how impractical a dslr belt holster is. Even with just a Kx and kit lens it was terribly uncomfortable having it around the hip, it doesn't matter which belt holster you use it's still going to be a lead weight throwing your waist off balance.

I'm currently trying to sell it for half price on craigslist
Did you get the B-grip or the ebay knockoff? Is it really that uncomfortable compared to slinging over your shoulder or an R-strap? I'm looking for a good way to carry my camera when hiking, and this seems like a perfect alternative to holding it in my hand or around the neck.

09-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
I'm looking for a good way to carry my camera when hiking, and this seems like a perfect alternative to holding it in my hand or around the neck.
For hiking I have the Optech Reporter Backpack straps for my backpack. If you have a sternum strap on the pack, strapping it over the Optech straps will keep the camera close to your body when you need to scamper over or up something.

I have the Cotton Carrier side holster and I like it for what I bought it for, a third hand, but not really for carrying the camera, except short distances. If I'm going to carry on my hip, I'll use a holster bag for the protection.

Thank you
Russell
09-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
Did you get the B-grip or the ebay knockoff? Is it really that uncomfortable compared to slinging over your shoulder or an R-strap? I'm looking for a good way to carry my camera when hiking, and this seems like a perfect alternative to holding it in my hand or around the neck.
It's pretty miserable, do you have a hiking pack though? I put the belt holster on the waitband of my Burton Zoom pack and it's marvelous when used like that since the weight it being held up by the pack

but when it's on your waist it's just awful, I just use a regular strap now and I just picked up a chest-pack for snowboarding and other outdoor activities
09-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #19

You didn't say which one you have. B-Grip or the one in the pictures earlier in this thread.

I have a hiking pack, and a sling bag. I hate carrying both of them, and I end up carrying my K200D in my hand anyway, as it's a pain having to constantly take it out and put it back in the bag. If its slung over my shoulder, it swings around and if I were to attach it to the front of my pack like shown above, it would bounce up and down on my chest. The b-grip really seems like a good choice, since its stable and takes the pressure off my neck/shoulders. Plus I have my hands free to scramble over rocks, etc.

Tell me why its awful, please. I'm read nothing but good things so far.

09-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #20

Aaaahhh....reading the thread again, it looks like you went for the cheap model. I can see why that one might be uncomfortable to wear. The b-grip looks like it distributes the weight much better, and you can clip it onto the chest straps of a backpack as well. I think I'll give it a try...
09-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think even if you spend a thousand dollars on a holster it wont help, nothing can change the fact that that a heavy DSLR is hanging off your belt, throwing your hips off balance and pulling down your pants

You can try it but I hated it
09-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #22

Check out the b-grip again. The holster is longer, and presses up against your leg, so it's not actually hanging from your belt or pulling down your pants. So yes, in this case there's a different between a $10 belt clip and a $40 holster. I will report back after I give it a test drive.

09-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
When using my telephoto lens the lens dropped and pushed against my leg, and it didn't help

That stabilizing bar cannot defy the laws of gravity, no matter how you do it, that holster is connected to your belt, that's where it's going to be pulling from with a downward force, lateral stabilization like that bar wouldn't do anything to counteract downward force
09-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #24

I received the B-grip yesterday, and it rocks! I went for a 2 mile walk with it today, and it was extremely comfortable hanging from the belt that comes with the grip. I didn't even have the belt attached to my pants, it was just around my waist. It didn't slip down or seem like it was going to fall. The plate that attaches to the camera has a flip-out level that keeps the lens off a table, and you can even hang it on a wall by the plate. One more very cool thing...it comes with a waterproof cover that slips over the whole thing, so you can even walk in the rain.

I'll do a more detailed review later, with pictures, and post to the review section. I think this will be a great thing to have for my trip to New Zealand next week..no more carrying the camera in hand while I hike!
09-15-2010, 01:07 AM   #25
Veteran Member

bookmarked..

That would be good to see.... I have been intrigued by the proper b-grip & wondered if it is as strong and sturdy as all their videos suggest.

I probably wouldnt use it on the belt of my jeans but mabye on the 2" wide strap of a "Bum Bag" (i have a Kata DW type). This would help to even up the weight front/back with this setup too.
Alternatively mounted on the chest strap of a backpack like they show in the videos, it doesnt appear to swing around like it would with normal or modiifed straps.

slighty OT: did you notice that none of the "actors" in the b-grip demo videos know to use a lens hood the right way round ... useless.
09-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #26

Yes, it doesn't swing around at all. When connected to the "grip", it is solidly in place. I can spin around and jump and it stays firmly attached to my hip.
10-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #27

Update: I just got back from a few weeks hiking in New Zealand, and I wore the B-Grip on half of the hikes we took. I walked 6-8 miles a day, on average, with the grip attached to the belt provided, and it was extremely comfortable.

Pros:

- It kept my hands free! No more walking while holding the camera in my hand
- It was totally comfortable, no pressure on the leg or hip...I barely even noticed it was there
- Great option for changing lenses. Just mount it upside down, remove lens, add new lens. Keep both hands free.
- Comes with a nice waterproof cover, which totally kept my K200D dry in a downpour.
- Also has a safety harness, which attaches to the strap lugs, for extra piece of mind (I stopped using it after a few days)
- The mounting plate has a flip out stand, which keeps your lens off the table or surface its on

Cons:
- The mounting plate is large (they say Arca compatible), so I had to remove it when using a tripod
- You may have to slide it back/forward on your hip so your arms fall to your side naturally, otherwise the camera is in the way of where your arms would fall.
10-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #28
Pentaxian

You should add a review here- Miscellaneous - Pentax Accessory Review Database - Flashes, Grips, Camera Bags

Even a short one like that would help others.