Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Slave 2 Mode x Auto Power Off

Well, maybe this is already old news, but in any case I want to share and maybe ask for confirmation.

It seems to me that the AF360 does NOT go to sleep mode while in SLAVE2 mode (optical), which is GREAT news!

I had to actually buy the AF540 because the AF360 would go off every couple of minutes, but now I am trying both side-by-side in SLAVE2 mode and they are both on!

Anyone else noticed this?

07-07-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ooops.. the AF360 did go off, and the AF540 is still on...

BUT it has been really a long long time... actually i lost count... maybe about 20 mins? Not sure.. way better than in PTTL...
07-07-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Looks like it's about 1 hour:

QuoteOriginally posted by p51 of the user manual:
The slave unit will turn off automatically after about 1 hour of non-operation
07-08-2010, 05:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
Looks like it's about 1 hour:
You are correct... right after i posted the second time around, the AF540 turned off... and i checked the post timing, about 1hr apart..

GREAT thing... i was about to buy another AF540 or some nikon SB-25 but now I may as well get the AF360!

07-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The flash's foot is disabled in slave 1 or slave 2 mode, so if you are looking at this for use with radio triggers, you aren't going to get that. I guess you could always put a second small flash in the radio trigger to then trigger the optical slave trigger of the 360 FGZ, but at that point, why not just use the manual flash?

Thank you
Russell
07-13-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
The flash's foot is disabled in slave 1 or slave 2 mode, so if you are looking at this for use with radio triggers, you aren't going to get that. I guess you could always put a second small flash in the radio trigger to then trigger the optical slave trigger of the 360 FGZ, but at that point, why not just use the manual flash?

Thank you
Russell

The current setup I have works fine. I have a (3) strobe bracket with a softbox, and the thing is, previously I used a collection of Vivitar 285s, and for each vivitar I needed a trigger. Okay, it worked fine but the stand would get really heavy (285 + trigger).

I then decided the 285's PC connection really sucks, so I just recently purchased some Nikon SB28s. And the next step would be to purchase some SB-25's with built-in optical slaves.

I then realized my AF360 & AF540 had the slave mode, but i thought the auto-off was few minutes, hence the topic.

So basically I dont necessarily need the SB25s because the AF360 does have the optival slaves as well, and they also work in PTTL, in case I choose this way.

The setup I am going for is this: softbox with (1) SB28 + trigger & (2) Pentax in optical slave, and same thing with the umbrella.
07-13-2010, 08:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
The current setup I have works fine. I have a (3) strobe bracket with a softbox, and the thing is, previously I used a collection of Vivitar 285s, and for each vivitar I needed a trigger.
Three 285s, one trigger, one $10 three way PC sync splitter and a couple of cables would work. Even adding a optical peanut to two of the 285's would have worked and would only be about $40.

Can you daisy chain the 285s via the sync port? First 285 has trigger on its foot, pc cable from PC port on the first 285 goes to hot shoe. Second 285 mounted in hotshoe, pc cable from PC port on second flash goes to PC port on third flash. Cost is a hot shoe with PC port, $10.

Anyway, just an idea.

Thank you
Russell
07-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the idea Russel, but unfortunately in reality a setup like this would not work the same as the setup I am doing. Believe me, I had about 6 or 7 Vivitars and they are heavy, the foot is problematic, the PC port sucks, they are too tall, and the list goes on.

If I wanted a cheap solution, yeah, i'd do something like what you said. But sometimes enough is enough, and you want some more reliable.

In any case, I still have (4) 285's left, if you want them let me know.

Thanks

BB

07-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Believe me, I had about 6 or 7 Vivitars and they are heavy, the foot is problematic, the PC port sucks, they are too tall, and the list goes on.
That's pretty interesting given the praise the flashes usually get; I don't have any experience with the 285s. Thanks for the reply.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 07-13-2010 at 10:39 PM.
07-13-2010, 10:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Would you mind posting a photo of your setup. It sounds pretty interesting. I'd like to see how the three flashes work with the softbox as can't picture this in my head. Details about where you bought it and cost of the setup would be nice too, assuming this isn't a DIY. If it is a DIY, please tell how you put it together.

Thank you
Russell
07-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's pretty interesting given the praise the flashes usually get; I don't have any experience with the 285s. Thanks for the reply.

Thank you
Russell
Russel,

The flashes are great workhorses, and I still have a few left that I am debating if I should sell (i could keep two of them for those times when you dont want to risk expensive equipment). None of my 285's ever failed on me.

But like I previously said, they are not perfect: they are heavy, recharges are a bit slower than Nikon and Pentax, the proprietary Vivitar connection sucks BIG TIME, and even with the replaced hotshoe, the PC connection is a bit clumsy, the battery holders are a PIA and the ebay replacement sucks and to finalize, they are too tall (bad center of gravity).

Geeez... the list is big, as you can see I've been using them for a while. But dont get me wrong, I am only replacing my setup because I need something more reliable as I get into more commercial work.

They have served me really well for few years, but at the same time I was very pissed off many times and always wanted a more professional look / gear.
07-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Would you mind posting a photo of your setup. It sounds pretty interesting. I'd like to see how the three flashes work with the softbox as can't picture this in my head. Details about where you bought it and cost of the setup would be nice too, assuming this isn't a DIY. If it is a DIY, please tell how you put it together.

Thank you
Russell
Russel,

I have a shooting tomorrow, and i'll be using the Nikon + Pentax flashes (and actually the Vivitar as rim light) and i'll get photos of the setups.

Originally I had a metal bracket from Home Depot + hot show adapters from BH, but again, not very professional or sturdy. It fell on me couple of times, but now that I am bracketing expensive flashes (AFs & SBs) I bought a 3-flash bracket from BH, which is very solid. It costs about $35 or $40.. i forgot.

Pictures to came later...
07-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I had about 6 or 7 Vivitars and they are heavy, the foot is problematic, the PC port sucks, they are too tall, and the list goes on.
Would a bracket like this be helpful?

I posted a DIY article here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/106596-diy-horizontal-flash-b...ht-stands.html

Tim
07-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Would a bracket like this be helpful?
Hi Tim,

A bracket like that would definitely help with the center of gravity / balance issues with the 285's but would not help with the other issues. And also, it would not look very professional in front of a corporate client.
07-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Hi Tim,

A bracket like that would definitely help with the center of gravity / balance issues with the 285's but would not help with the other issues. And also, it would not look very professional in front of a corporate client.
It is painted black and you could use black Velcro tie down straps instead of the DIY Bongo's if you are worried about looks.

Tim