Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Trying a new bag

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've been looking for a new shoulder bag for a K10D and a Macbook and ran across this one on ebay:

NEW! PROFESSIONAL SERIES BLACK SLR Camera & Laptop Bag! - eBay (item 180529872331 end time Aug-05-10 12:52:08 PDT)

It should be here Monday and I'll post some thoughts and pics of it loaded. I was also able to swap out the black for a reddish-brown exterior bag. I know it's not Lowepro or Domke, but I've never worn ANY camera bag out so the price is attractive.

07-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I wonder what logo they blurred out on the front of the bag?
I hope it's not Jiakong or something?
07-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually, I figured out what brand rather quickly and it was a bag I had seen numerous times on ebay but never with pics of the inside. I would just post the brand, but I asked a couple of questions of the seller and they asked that I NOT list the brand if I talked about the bag.

Other sellers list it as a Camera/Laptop Bag for $99+ S/H. Comes in Black, Blue, Sienna, and Fern.

I'm sure it was made in China (what isn't these days).
07-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What is with not discussing the name? Its pretty obviously promaster (which generally tends to be neither the former nor the latter!) - good price though and I am sure it will be a solid shoulder bag. Bags. The bane of our existence! Make sure to write a review once received!

07-17-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
It looks fine and should do the job well, let us know how you get on.
07-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bag & pics

Ok, the bag is in and I've been using it for a few days. Here are my initial impressions:

The bag is fairly large (which I expected), seems well constructed, and hold the equipment I wanted to get in it. My only complaint is the top handle arraignment. Now for the pics and details.

I intend to use this as an everyday bag for a lot of equipment and a 13" MacBook. The full list of what I'm carrying:

K10D with grip and DA 16-45 f/4 attached, extra AA below(Center rear)
Data cable & filters (center frong)
DA 55-300 f4-5.8 (right rear)
AF-360 FGZ (right front)
Vivitar 100mm Macro & 1:1 adapter (yogurt cup), sitting on top of 4 cased filters (left rear)
FA 50 f1.4 sitting on Kenko PAF 1.5X DG (left front)
MacBook in rear compartment
Assorted memory cards, pens, and cleaning supplies (front pockets)

The padding seems very good with some initial give and then tending to be very firm. The bag wants to hold it's shape, even when full, and the camera/notebook insert stands just fine when removed. The insert can be removed fairly easily (easier when empty) and is held in place by velcro strip on each side at the top. When the insert is removed, you can see that there are for pockets on the inside. These are difficult to use with the insert in.

At the front of the bag, there are three main pockets. One fairly flat pocket the full width of the front that would be good for paperwork or gray cards and two half-width pockets with pen slots, etc. These pockets are deep so small items will tend to head for the bottom and might be hard to get it if you have large hands.

The lid features a full-width zipper that allows access to the inside without opening the top. This is handy for getting the camera with my arraignment but access to the lenses is a bit limited unless you have the camera out.

The strap is long, has an adequate curved and pad, non-slip backing, and seems very sturdy. The one thing I don't like is the handle (not shown). It is adjustable, padded, but uses the same D-rings as the strap. You can flip it to the back, but I just on't like the way it it makes the strap and D-rings fall. It is easy to remove and I think I will be removing mine.

I have room to add more equipment be either rearranging the items I'm carrying and/or removing some padded cases. I'm also carrying the DA & FA lenses with the hoods attached facing forward and I could remove or reverse them for additional space.

If anyone has specific questions or wants additional info, please ask.
Attached Images

07-19-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
What is with not discussing the name? Its pretty obviously promaster (which generally tends to be neither the former nor the latter!) - good price though and I am sure it will be a solid shoulder bag. Bags. The bane of our existence! Make sure to write a review once received!
I imagine they had to blur the logo because they are not allowed to sell these bags below a certain price. Same as the "add to cart for price" you see on many websites.

07-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hrm, that looks like a pretty decent design: especially with the curvey shape, so you can have a gripped camera in there pretty elegantly. I approve, generally. Is it reasonably not-heavy?
07-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hrm, that looks like a pretty decent design: especially with the curvey shape, so you can have a gripped camera in there pretty elegantly. I approve, generally. Is it reasonably not-heavy?
Well, loaded as mentioned, plus some additional odds & ends, it weighs exactly 18 pounds by my scales. Of course, the laptop and charger are about 6 of that so leaving them out would lighten the load quickly. I don't really notice the weight since I rarely carry it for more than 20-30 minutes at a time.

My system these days is use this bag for house to car, car to office, road trip, etc. When I stop I take out what I need, put the removed items in a smaller bag (if not just in hand), and put the bag in an old cooler I keep in the car. I figure then I'm good for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours before I'm worried about the heat. If my bag might be in the car longer than that, I just bring the smaller bag with a few items.
07-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hrm, really seems not too shabby.

As weight goes, I notice with my 'big bag' that the weight of the bag itself becomes considerable: for me, I carry about twelve to fourteen pounds without hurting, , (Still splitting systems between heavy old Canons and Pentax for digital) but after that every set of AA's counts.

My big canvas bag I've dubbed the 'caboose' can be either for carrying heavy, bulky, or as a travel-carryon that can handle this beast of an old laptop, light gear without winders/grips, and some personal effects. The bag itself is not negligible, weightwise, though. That looks like it could handle a smaller laptop, a full-sized rig, and some etceteras.
07-23-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have my Macbook 13" in a neoprene sleeve so anything smaller than this:

Dimensions: 1.08 x 12.78 x 8.92 Avg. Weight: 5.0 lbs (2.27 kg)

should fit easily. The sleeve adds about 1/4" to 1/2" to these dimensions. The original ad copy claims it will hold a 15" laptop but I think i that might be pushing it. I didn't weigh the bag when empty and I'm too lazy to completely empty it and weigh it now.
07-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WJW Quote
I would just post the brand, but I asked a couple of questions of the seller and they asked that I NOT list the brand if I talked about the bag.
Why on earth would anyone hide the brand while trying to sell it?
This makes no sense to me whatsoever.
People are not entitled to know what they are buying?
Very odd tbh...
Very odd...