Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #1

K-X owners, what bags do you have?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I want a small bag for the K-X that I can use for travel, mainly to protect the camera.

Ideally I want the smallest bag possible. Perhaps a pocket for spare batteries.

I saw some on Amazon, but am not sure if the camera will fit.

Something like this one
Amazon.com: Opteka SLR & DSLR Camera Short Zoom Holster Case…

Thanks

07-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter

I went to a store (J&R) and tried several bags. I wanted the bag to be secure, so I could wear it while bike riding. I tried all the bags on display. The winner, hands down, was the Case Logic SLR Sling bag. The K-x fits easily with a fitted lens, plus one more lens in the larger compartment, plus one or two smaller lenses in the auxiliary compartment. The bag goes across the shoulder (a la messenger bag style), and has a 2nd strap that secures across the waist.

If you can possibly visit a store near you do so, so that you try out the various bags. Bring your camera and a lens to try the fit. The bag I brought home (the Case Logic SLR Sling) was not the one I had picked online!
07-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Xatenp Quote
I want a small bag for the K-X that I can use for travel, mainly to protect the camera.

Something like this one

Thanks
I have the Long Opteka holster bag and I would definitely recommend it over the short bag, it is a perfect fit for the kit lens + hood or and inevitable zoom lens + hood. And you'll have a little room to actually use the pocket in the top instead of being cramped for space and having the items in the top pocket crushing against the screen.
07-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Xatenp Quote

Something like this one

Thanks
prodigital2000 (Prodigital2000 items - Get great deals on Lowepro, Canon items on eBay Stores!) sells some small Kata bags

07-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
i have a kata dr 467 for cam, gear, laptop, etc. and a lowepro slingshot 100aw for just cam and a lens or 2.
07-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For just the camera I have a Zing neoprene cover.
For the camera with an extra lens and extra batteries I have the Crumpler 4 Million Dollar Home.
For everything (3 primes, 2 zooms, flash, K-x, batteries, cleaning supplies) I just ordered a Dolica GS-300 from NewEgg on sale for $20 (with a free smaller bag and 4GB memory card) that I'm hoping will be suitable storage for my whole kit, which I rarely take out all at once. I'll report back. I couldn't find many reviews on that particular bag but the sale price and timing were just right. Hopefully it won't be terrible.
07-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a Tenba MIXX short zoom holster that is good for my Kx with a lens attached and a few accessories. It can attach to a belt, but it also comes with a really nice contoured/padded adjustable & removable shoulder strap. Right now my Kx with DFA100WR macro mounted is stashed in it. There's room for my Op/Tech shoulder strap and some accessories. My guess is this holster could also accommodate the Kx with DA55-300. I use this bag the most.

For camera & DAL18-55 or shorter lens only, I have a Zing neoprene cover. I do like it. They also make a longer cover to handle camera & zoom.

I also have a Lowepro Nova 170 that's good for the Kx/lens and a few small lenses/flash. I don't own a bag that will accommodate my entire kit, probably because I have yet to go out with my entire kit at once.

07-19-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
Forum Member

I have an old camera case that I had for my Pentax film slr and the K-x fits very snuggly (a bit too snuggly to fit the strap as well) but have you looked at the Crumpler range - the 2-4 Million Dollar Home - they say they fit a Dslr - they are very well regarded and come with a limited lifetime warranty. ;-)

http://www.crumpler.com/AU/Camera-Bags/Camera-Bags/3-Million-Dollar-Home.htm...EN&SKU=MD0311A

Last edited by Pixley; 07-19-2010 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Inserting website link
07-20-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
Forum Member

I'm currently using the Tamrac 6 bag. It's fantastic and very roomy.

Tamrac - Model 5606 System 6

Holds my K-x, 18-55, Sigma 105mm macro, Soligor 80-200mm, M50 f/2 and 3 extra sets of batteries, caps/hoods, and the rest of the small stuff. Plenty of room left over as my collection grows too.
07-20-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My favorite K-x bag is the PacSafe 100. Small, nicely compartmentalized and very secure. It comes with a lock, and the bag bottom and strap are reinforced with steel cables so that they can't be cut. I went all over Spain with this bag containing a K-x, 4 DA Ltd primes (or two zooms) cell phone, extra batts, Olympus XA2, a small water bottle and various other accessories and worldly possessions.

Highly recommended for the K-x. For another DSLR, it could be small.

Here I am enjoying this great little bag on the streets of Cordoba (pardon the quality of my wife's P&S shot):
Attached Images

Last edited by GeneV; 07-20-2010 at 04:53 PM.