Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Blackrapid R-Strap RS-4

Just a warning for other users of this camera strap Blackrapid R-Strap RS-4:

In spite of me being aware that this could happen to me, it did happen!

The screw came out (from the tripod fixture) whilst I was walking in the street and dumped my camera. Now the memory card does not read>

07-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting... I just sold today actually my two RS4s and the DoublR connector...

It never worked well with the compact Pentax DSLRs.. i guess it is more suitable for bigger cameras...

In any case, I was always a bit suspecious about the connection to the camera... sorry to hear about your damage...
07-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
Just a warning for other users of this camera strap Blackrapid R-Strap RS-4:

In spite of me being aware that this could happen to me, it did happen!

The screw came out (from the tripod fixture) whilst I was walking in the street and dumped my camera. Now the memory card does not read>
Truly sorry this happened to you.
This thread just came in right on time though, because I was about to get the "Double Strap"; same sort of attachments as yours.
Have you considered something else to replace it if you do? And, did you report the problem to Black Rapid?
Cheers!

JP
07-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Heck

I was thinking of getting one now ya got me worried I've heard this on another site also Thanks for the update

07-15-2010, 12:20 PM   #5

i have been using a rs 7 for a month now and no problem yet. i tighten the ish out of it though. its hard to take off when i need to mount on a triped. also, if you just get the rubber seal a little wet, you can get another good turn out of it to tighten it even more.
07-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Truly sorry this happened to you.
This thread just came in right on time though, because I was about to get the "Double Strap"; same sort of attachments as yours.
Have you considered something else to replace it if you do? And, did you report the problem to Black Rapid?
Cheers!

JP
Thanks for the sympathy!
Yes - I'm going to get the "Crumpler" - same concept much better in my opinion, due to using the normal securing straps that the NECK type of camera strap uses.

Last edited by stevewig; 07-15-2010 at 01:05 PM.
07-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boosted03gti Quote
i have been using a rs 7 for a month now and no problem yet. i tighten the ish out of it though. its hard to take off when i need to mount on a triped. also, if you just get the rubber seal a little wet, you can get another good turn out of it to tighten it even more.
I've been using one for about 9 months - first time it happened to me too. If you want my advice (which clearly you don't), get rid of it!

07-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boosted03gti Quote
This brings back fond memories of the time an auto mechanic said to me "Tight is right, too tight is broke".
07-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Perhaps a safety strap thru at least one of the regular strap lugs would have avoided this disaster.

Confucius say "Never trust one attachment point!"
07-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #10
mel
Veteran Member

The problem with the connection was fixed with the later models of the strap. They put a rubber washer between the bolt thingy and the camera. I have the RS7 and have had no problems with it loosening whatsoever. You can buy the fasterner separately on the Black Rapid website. I highly recommend doing so. Otherwise they're an awesome strap

(and a little plug - for us girls, they just came out with the RS-W1 designed just women. I just got one and it's wonderful!! Everything I didn't like about my RS7 from a girl standpoint has been remedied).
07-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
The problem with the connection was fixed with the later models of the strap. They put a rubber washer between the bolt thingy and the camera. I have the RS7 and have had no problems with it loosening whatsoever. You can buy the fasterner separately on the Black Rapid website. I highly recommend doing so. Otherwise they're an awesome strap

(and a little plug - for us girls, they just came out with the RS-W1 designed just women. I just got one and it's wonderful!! Everything I didn't like about my RS7 from a girl standpoint has been remedied).
Just for the record - mine also had the rubber washer and as MRRiley points out, above, you are relying on one connection and although in theory it should never have happened we all know how useful theory is!
07-16-2010, 04:29 AM   #12
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
Just for the record - mine also had the rubber washer and as MRRiley points out, above, you are relying on one connection and although in theory it should never have happened we all know how useful theory is!
I actually don't rely on just one connection. The same thing happened to BrendanPK with the older model so with mine, using one of the regular strap lugs, I've taken a long braided shoelace, threaded it through the lug and the carbiner so I have 4 strands, then braid those 4 strands into a stronger strap. My little fail-safe I guess.

Shoelace you say? They're stronger than one thinks. I've actually had it keep my camera from dropping when the fastener wasn't in the tripod mount, not because it fell out, but because I had removed it to put it on a lens or my flash bracket, or use the mount for the tripod, and forgot to put it back. There's enough slack in it that I can move the fastener to the tripod mount of my 70-200 without issue.
07-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I actually don't rely on just one connection. The same thing happened to BrendanPK with the older model so with mine, using one of the regular strap lugs, I've taken a long braided shoelace, threaded it through the lug and the carbiner so I have 4 strands, then braid those 4 strands into a stronger strap. My little fail-safe I guess.

Shoelace you say? They're stronger than one thinks. I've actually had it keep my camera from dropping when the fastener wasn't in the tripod mount, not because it fell out, but because I had removed it to put it on a lens or my flash bracket, or use the mount for the tripod, and forgot to put it back. There's enough slack in it that I can move the fastener to the tripod mount of my 70-200 without issue.
Sounds like a good mod and smart of you to use it. I bet the OP wishes they had of put something like that in the original kit.

Thank you
Russell
07-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Sounds like a good mod and smart
Is Russell talking about you Mel, sounds like he's polishing teachers apple.
07-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #15
mel
Veteran Member

Lol. Yes I am a smart and good mod