Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
where do you store your camera equipment?

I just want to see what you do with all of your gear when your not in the field.

i found this great older construction cabinet at a yardsale this week and its perfect for most of my gear.

Attached Images

07-20-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
Forum Member

Tripod sits in the closet, batteries, chargers, bags, filters etc. on the shelf of same. Since I'm living in the tropics, my lenses all sit in a dry-box because of the humidity.

Andrew
07-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had a secret hiding spot for a shoulder bag, but after getting more stuff, some is now in a closet as well.
08-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Much of the glass and gear I intend to use soon are in one or two or three bags atop a credenza, or scattered about atop scanner, scale, monitor, etc. Many of the lenses I'll not use soon are in little Ikea drawer units in bookshelves adjacent to my overflowing desk. Most of the lenses I can't use and haven't gotten around to selling yet, and a stash of misc gear, are in bags and boxes on other shelves.

Most of my film cameras are displayed on other shelves, in front of the books on AI, game theory, systems analysis, etc. Bellows and long lenses that don't fit there are on another shelf in front of part of my comix collection. The largest lenses are stacked on the floor in their cases, with three tripods. On my aux.desk are the foldup studio, lights, minipods, and misc debris blocking access to one of the four computers. Under that desk are a couple crates filled with negatives, transparencies, etc. The big Canon S9000 printer has its own credenza.

Some of my Dad's photo gear is in glass cabinets in the library. The darkroom gear and chems are under my bathroom sink. Other stuff is just scattered about -- there's a couple cameras I haven't seen for some years, and I hardly know where to start looking. I guess it's time to move out and get organized. Ah well, I wanted to relocate to Santa Fe anyway...

08-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't have that much gear (1 body, 6 lenses, filters, remote, tri-pod, and other small stuff), most is in my sling bag that sits on my couch, yes my couch but I take the bag with me every single day, and my tripod is in my closet, as that gets used about once a week.
08-25-2010, 12:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I haven't got a great deal, but it all sits in a cupboard in a spare room. My SP 11 resides in its case with a couple of other Taks, flash etc, in my camera bag. The other stuff is on a shelf above.
Cheers, Pickles.
08-25-2010, 12:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have tons of equipment. I keep a lot of it on a shelf for easy access I leave one camera out and mounted on a tripod( usually a K-7 with sigma 100-300 f/4) and my leica, canon, and nikon gear on a stack of shelves behind my computer. Some of the more unusual or frighteningly expensive stuff ends up being carefully hidden in secret compartments in my furniture. I know an old carpenter who enjoys making stuff for me, he uses some interesting woods. His prices are a bit on the steep side, but it is worth it. I hate Ikea furniture.

08-25-2010, 12:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

In The Netherlands we have"Kringloop". Things still good but no longer needed can be brought there and they end up in the Kringloop shops for sale. Even m42 lenses. And old cameras. Prices are really low. But you have to be lucky. Anyway, I run out of storage room, so I am on the hunt for a new to hang on the wall with a glass door new old lens cabinet. With a little patience I know I'll succeed. Afterall, I always do. All the attic bedroom furniture was bought there ( a bit of paint, some cleaning up ) , including my other equipment storage cupboards (2). Oh, I am so happy, I like the hunt. As it is cheap it is affordable. Good quality at peanut prices.
08-25-2010, 05:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Humidity is not a real problem in Quebec city... My tripod and monopod are in a closet, my camera and most-used lenses are in my camera bag (along with accessories) and my seldom used lenses are in a small cupboard that is part of my computer desk.

I dream of having a big enough collection, and a big enough house, to dedicate a nice windowed cabinet to display everything...
08-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I recently bought one of those Pelican hard cases for storage. I'm going to do an official review of it pretty soon. To me, it's an ideal combination of protection and convenience. Just open the lid and everything is right there to pick out. I got a model with customizable dividers and paid about $175 (has since gone up a little). Deluxe backpacks can cost that much or more. Obviously, it doesn't have the "take everywhere" capability of a backpack, but it does have wheels and a telescoping handle so it's easy to take to the car and put in your trunk. Definitely better protection than a backpack, holds a lot more, and it's water and dust-proof. Plus, it's easier to get stuff out of than a backpack. Holds everything but my tripod, which I keep in its own padded bag.