Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
Forum Member

Camera storage - $25 solution

I've been looking for a cheap way to safely store some of my camera equipment. Wanted to share this case I picked up today.

$25 USD from Harbor Freight. Everything was included, foam dividers, egg crate top pad etc.

It'll allow me to ditch some of the bags I don't carry anymore but kept around to hold all my crap. I'm trying to simplify things and having 5 different bags doesn't help.

18" x 12-3/4" x 6" Aluminum Case

Attached Images

07-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very eloquent solution at an affordable price. Way to go!
07-23-2010, 01:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Good find

Got one about 2 months ago. I'm the same way to many bags laying around kept my favorite tamrac bag getting rid of the rest. Gonna start selling some old camera gear also not much use anymore. The case is just the right size for what I need to store things in Was looking at camera cases like this the price was killing me. Found out also that Home-Depot has them also.
07-23-2010, 03:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You can get a similar case at just about camera store for only $175.

Good find.

I've been wanting a case like that for some time. (But not at camera store prices).

07-23-2010, 05:41 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting this. I want cases for at-home storage of my lenses (I'll still use a bag in the field), and this looks great.

And luckily, there's an HF right near me.
07-23-2010, 07:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Thanks for posting this. I want cases for at-home storage of my lenses (I'll still use a bag in the field), and this looks great.

And luckily, there's an HF right near me.
This would actually work great for lenses as I have also thought about this.
Have been going to Harbour Freight too and kept on looking at this suitcase but never really got to try them.
I know they have different sizes of this aluminum case.
07-23-2010, 08:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Similar cases can be found at Lowes as well. Way back in my office-machine-repair past, I took a job at a company where I had to buy my own tools and got one like this. It worked great for a couple months, but then just started falling apart. Now, to be fair, I was hauling around about 25-30 lbs of tools, supplies and parts and opened/closed the thing a dozen or more times a day. I had to spring $150 for a "pro" level case, which I still have and use when I get the occasional network install job.

Later in life, I used these "budget" cases for storing paintball equipment (guns/markers, air tanks, etc.) and I've got a couple that are going on 10 years old without issue, but they see far, far less use in this capacity (just a few weekends a year).

Bottom line: these are great cases, but not as durable as similar-looking but more expensive models. If you're going to use it all the time or want something that'll hold up better in the long run, spend the extra dough on a pro-level case.
07-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
yes, a word of warning. I would never use this case on a daily basis. Its simply something to use for in home storage. I like the pick and pluck foam more for its organizational value than its protective value.

07-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Shibby3.8 Quote
yes, a word of warning. I would never use this case on a daily basis. Its simply something to use for in home storage. I like the pick and pluck foam more for its organizational value than its protective value.
Exactly.

Basically, most of what HF sells is low quality, but cheap, which is a good thing for tools and accessories you won't use often or abuse. And hell:

For this, $25 is worth it for the customizable foam alone.
07-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have these aluminum cases too - FOC from an LG promotion. But stopped using them as I got fungus on my lenses. I live in a wet and humid place and reckoned I needed air tight water proof cases. Finally I settled for Army Surplus Ammo boxes - US $ 3 each from the flea market. Dunked one in a bucket of water overnight. Absolutely dry inside when I opened it next morning.
Lot of storage in a small box of size 12 x 7.5 x 6 inches - see attached photos - all the stuff removed from their storage cases for a good view.
07-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Sorry, some problem with the website or overshot the allowed file size - photos did not upload.

Last edited by nanhi; 11-19-2012 at 08:32 AM.
07-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
Pelican knockoff for half the price (of pelican ... twice the price of the harbor freight that is the subject of this thread though). Haven't seen it anywhere else, though maybe I didn't look hard enough. Should probably test in the tub on an individual basis before use if watertightness is a concern, as the QC is probably not the best. I didn't bother to test mine (sorry) because I wasn't really concerned about that, just wanted a sturdy case with cubed foam. Designed as a 2 layer, so it has a bottom layer of flat foam, two layers of pick and pull cubes, layer of foam flat on bottom & eggcrate on top, then top layer of foam, eggcrate on bottom facing the other eggcrate..

CED Waterproof Pistol Gun Case 17" x 15" x 5-1/2" Polymer Black - MidwayUSA

Last edited by kxr4trids; 07-23-2010 at 04:37 PM.
07-24-2010, 07:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
You can get a similar case at just about camera store for only $175.

Good find.

I've been wanting a case like that for some time. (But not at camera store prices).
Some are much more-cheaply made than others. I have a cheapie that I use for infrequently-used doodads and parts cameras and the like. Fairly convenient.
07-25-2010, 03:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

nice find

Good looking case there kxr I'll have to look into those