Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #1

Monopod Manfrotto 234RC Use

How do most people use their Manfroto 234RC quick release on their monopods? Are people brave enough and leave it connected and carry the camera and monopod around together or do they disconnect and carry separately each time they move to a new location?

I am torn between a 234 tilt head (thumb screw mount) and the 234RC (quick release). With the tumb screw mount, the camera is not coming off so long it is tight. If I have to remove the camera everytime I move with the quick release it looses some benefit.

Thanks,
Mike

07-23-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I use the same plate on my tripod, and yes it's always a thing on your mind, but I walked around with the camera on the tripod.
07-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I've using the 234 (not quick release) on my 680B monopod for some time now, without drama.

You can get it screwed up tight and carry your kit by the monopod, provided your not using huge glass i.e. 300 mm f2.8 & 400 mm f2.8 etc.
07-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I always have my camera strap around my neck when carrying my cameras on the monopod. Redundant support is always a good way to go.

07-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
I always have my camera strap around my neck when carrying my cameras on the monopod. Redundant support is always a good way to go.
Same here.
07-24-2010, 04:28 AM   #6

Original Poster
kerrowdown,
Do you have much trouble mounting the camera on the non quick release version? Is it easiest to hold the monopod vertical and mount or put it between your legs and mount?

Using the camera strap for carrying sounds good for security.

Thanks,

Mike
07-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by trailrider Quote
kerrowdown,
Do you have much trouble mounting the camera on the non quick release version? Is it easiest to hold the monopod vertical and mount or put it between your legs and mount?
I've never even thought about this.

I had to go away and do it to see how I mount the camera

The answer is just to screw the thing on, anyway you can at the time of use, it makes no odds, I appear to have no set way to do it.

Just as long as it's good and tight.

07-30-2010, 06:08 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I have the 234RC on a 680 Monopod and use it with my Bigma. It has worked great for the past year. I carry with camera on monopod slung over one shoulder. I do make sure to engage the quick release lock lever and I also tend to grab the camera strap and hold it against the monopod while shoulder carrying. Just in case.
08-01-2010, 09:35 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir:
I always have my camera strap around my neck when carrying my cameras on the monopod.
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK:
Same here.
I can just see the gruesome headline now:

"INVESTIGATORS LOOK FOR LINK BETWEEN MARYLAND, CALIFORNIA PHOTOGRAPHERS; BOTH FOUND WITH BROKEN NECK"...

Chris
08-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #10

Original Poster
I just came back from using my new 234 (non-quick release version) and like it a lot. Mounting with the thumb screw is quick and touble free. I kept my camera strap around my neck all the time and carried it over my shoulder. This was the first time I used a monopod. I got some clear shots at rather slow shutter speeds.

Mike
08-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by trailrider Quote
How do most people use their Manfroto 234RC quick release on their monopods? Are people brave enough and leave it connected and carry the camera and monopod around together or do they disconnect and carry separately each time they move to a new location?

I am torn between a 234 tilt head (thumb screw mount) and the 234RC (quick release). With the tumb screw mount, the camera is not coming off so long it is tight. If I have to remove the camera everytime I move with the quick release it looses some benefit.

Thanks,
Mike
I have the QR version and often leave the camera mounted as I move around. That's when I'm stalking: when I'm just walking, I'll take the camera off.

I've use the 234RC with my A*400 f2.8 too but the drill in that case, was one hand for the monopod and one for the camera at all times. That rule still applies even though I've since upgraded to a heavy duty Giottos for that lens.
08-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use the 234RC on my 694CX with K-7 and 70-200/2.8.

Often carry that outfit around sideline holding on only to the monopod. No problems so far.