Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looking for Circular Polarizer

I'm looking to get a circular polarizer for my DA* 16-50. I know I'm going to end up shelling out a fair chunk of change due to the large filter size and I'm prepared for that. I also assume that you end up "getting what you pay for" when it comes to polarizers. I was just wondering what polarizers do you use?

More specificually is the B+W $180 multicoated polarizer that much better than the $100 polarizer?

Advice about any other brands is also useful.

07-25-2010, 05:14 PM   #2

If you want a high quality CPL without paying B+W prices for large diameter, look at Marumi DHG or Marumi Super DHG filters (different coatings apparently).

Here is a link to an old thread with a few members discussing them:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/53135-mar...polarizer.html

I have one and it works quite well and is built nicely. Haven't heard any complaints about them either, even from people with high expectations.
07-25-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The new Hoya Pro HD CPLs are excellent. I have both the older Hoya Pro and the new HD ones (for different lenses). The newer HD filters are about a stop faster in terms of light loss, and optically outstandingly sharp.

Worth the extra bucks, IMHO
07-25-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
go to your local camera store (not ritz, a real camera shop haha) and ask to see their used filters. Much cheaper, and you can inspect them before you buy them. Usually you just have to clean them. I was looking for one for my 72mm lens, and the owner of the shop gave me a 82mm B+W multicoated polarizer with a step down for free because he "wanted to make someones day". Works perfectly

07-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Buying used is certainly one option, but don't forget that there is little point in having a great lens, for many dollars, and then putting a filter on the front that is going to be the weakest link in the chain. CPLs can degrade the image significantly (especially cheap ones) and also cut down the light significantly.

If you've spent good money on a nice lens, like the DA*16-50mm, then I wouldn't be putting a cheap and perhaps substandard filter on the front. You may as well have bought just the cheap kit lens.

Good lens deserves good quality filters. Including CPLs, NDs, grads, whatever.

No point in skimping dollars to make your lens into a poorer one.
07-25-2010, 07:01 PM   #6

If you are willing to pay the $180 for a B&W (which is an excellany polarizer that you can't go wrong with) you might also want to look at Singh-Ray. It costs $210 but is a great polarizer with less light loss than some of the cheaper brands. I have used Singh-Ray for years and have never been disappointed in either the optical quality or workmanship. They are just tack sharp filters.
The great Galen Rowell used Singh-Ray for a lot of his work.

You can find them at:
Singh-Ray Filters: LB Warming Polarizers
or at B&H:
Singh-Ray 77mm Neutral Circular Polarizing Filter R-166 - B&H

The DA*16-50mm is a nice lens, if you are pushing its limits, I wouldn't mess it up with a cheaper polarizer.

Rusty
07-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lowspark86 Quote
If you want a high quality CPL without paying B+W prices for large diameter, look at Marumi DHG or Marumi Super DHG filters (different coatings apparently).

Here is a link to an old thread with a few members discussing them:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/53135-mar...polarizer.html

I have one and it works quite well and is built nicely. Haven't heard any complaints about them either, even from people with high expectations.
Agreed. When Lenstip did an extensive test of circular polarizers the Marumi Super DHG came out tied for first.

07-29-2010, 08:50 AM   #8

+1 on the Marumi Super DHG, they are excellent, I have a 82mm one for my Sigma 100-300/4.

Polarizing filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com

Fleabay has the cheapest prices.
07-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by birdoprey Quote
+1 on the Marumi Super DHG, they are excellent, I have a 82mm one for my Sigma 100-300/4.

Polarizing filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com

Fleabay has the cheapest prices.
Thanks for that link. Very interesting reading.
07-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I would agree that the Marumi Super DHG's are excellent, but I have a Kenko Zeta that is also excellent, comes in a really nifty protective clamshell case with a push-button release, and is an absolute bargain at $107 for a 77mm. Plus, its only 5mm thick. The Zetas are the only Kenkos that I know I can recommend. Others may be OK, but I don't know for sure. Check them out here:

Welcome to Spotlight Photo - The Last Best Place to Outfit Your Camera
07-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Also look at linear polarizers. The whole "modern DSLR needs a CPL" is mostly a myth, moreso with Pentax cameras.
07-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #12
Forum Member

With a wide angle lens you will need a cpl with a low profile frame to reduce vignetting. I use the Hoya 77mm DMC PRO1 on my sigma 10-20 and I love it. The thing that I don't like is that the thin frame leads to an occasional stuck filter, which is what happened on my previous outing when the filter got stuck on my lens rather badly. I had to use these filter wrenches and it came off within seconds.
07-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I would agree that the Marumi Super DHG's are excellent, but I have a Kenko Zeta that is also excellent, comes in a really nifty protective clamshell case with a push-button release, and is an absolute bargain at $107 for a 77mm. Plus, its only 5mm thick. The Zetas are the only Kenkos that I know I can recommend. Others may be OK, but I don't know for sure. Check them out here:

Welcome to Spotlight Photo - The Last Best Place to Outfit Your Camera
Are the Kenko Zeta filters difficult to clean? I've found Hoyas to be awfully hard to clean, and I hear that Hoya and Kenko are actually the same filters under a different name.
07-29-2010, 04:39 PM   #14
Forum Member

It's easy to clean hoyas with the lens pen.
07-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #15
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
Agreed. When Lenstip did an extensive test of circular polarizers the Marumi Super DHG came out tied for first.
+2 on the Marumis.
I still have it fixed on my DA 12-24 and it's produced stunning landscape results.
Top quality glass, though a plastic build. Still worth it.