Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2010, 09:28 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

R-strap mount with Arca QR plate.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I came across this today on ebay. If the QR plate doesn't rotate with a heavy lens, this would solve the issue of having to remove the mount and thus, if you are willing to use a little Loctite, the issue of the mount unexpectedly working loose. Looks like it has lugs for a hand grip/strap as well. US $39.99, so not too expensive, less than some dedicated QR plates from Kirk, RRS, ...

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 09-12-2010 at 02:49 AM.
09-08-2010, 04:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I purchased one and it arrived today. I bought it for a Pentax film camera, but I tried it on the K10D just to see if it would work and it is OK on the K10D. I tried the Sigma 170-500mm on the camera with the QR plate on the camera and after a couple of tightenings, it held without twisting when the head was in the slot and the lens out horizontally. The unit came in two very nice boxes and without instructions or tools. Although it doesn't look like it, even when looking at it directly, the center hole in the mount accepts a small Allen wrench. I don't know the size, but it was one on my keyring set. This is important for getting the unit tight. You can use a pry bar through the loop, but the screw hole will probably be a little off this way. The reason why the fit of the D ring in the QR plate is important is because I needed to add a tiny gaffers tape flag to the D ring to be able to get to the D ring when it was flush to the mount. If there is a way to pull it out without this flag, I haven't found it. The unit is closely machined so there isn't much room between the D ring and the QR plate so I needed the QR centered around the D ring for my flag to work well.

The slots in the sides of the QR plate work really well with a hand grip/strap. There is plenty of room under the slot for the webbing. The D ring and the hook are both well made and seem to be pretty heavy duty. I don't have any issues with its intended use. There is a cork pad on the QR plate and once tightened I don't think it is possible for the unit to work lose. Holding the 170-500mm sideways on the mount convinced me of this.

If I had an R-strap, I would definitely use this set up for the QR plate. As I don't have an R-strap, I used some climbing 9/16" webbing I bought at REI, $1 bag of 3/4 buckles, and a shoulder cushion I just off another strap to make a Russell-strap.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 09-08-2010 at 07:03 AM.
09-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks Russell. This was just the thing I needed. I had an old triangular connector attached to the right camera strap slot on my K20D so I could use it and my tripod. I really prefer to use my R-Strap with the bottom connector and this allows me to do so. You are absolutely correct that the ring is difficult to get up when flush. I put a loop of fishing line around it to get it open. That's not the ideal solution but will do until I figure out something better.

The connector holds my camera and most of my lenses securely. I would hesitate to put a long lens on the front of my camera with this plate. It's so much smaller than the average tripod plate Since my 60-250 has its own mount I use a regular plate there.
09-23-2011, 07:29 AM   #4

Hey Russell,

I realise this is a year old now but do you have any details on the item above, where I can get hold of a few from or even perhaps the sellers details?

Many Thanks,

Mark.