Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2010, 02:52 AM   #1

Ni-MH batteries with TR 3 Power Pack

Hi All,

I've just bought TR 3 Power Pack for my Af540FGz and am looking to power it with Ni-MH batteries. The manual recommends alkalines and states that Ni-Cad should not be used. I have a set of 5,000 mAh Powerex's which are of course, 1.2V.

The TR 3 input is rated at 9V, which is a match for 6x 1.5V alkalines.

I'd like to know whether using the Ni-MHs is OK, and any useful recommendations in their use.

Cheers,
M.

07-29-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You should use 1.5V batteries! The power pack is trying to convert 9V to 330V, by reducing the voltage, 1.2V per cell, you will have a lower voltage out of the power pack. You have two things going on here, there is not enough voltage for the voltage multipilers to work properly and the flash, IF, it fires will not have enough voltage to fully drive the strobe and will have reduced output and can cause misfires. It is also possible to damage the electronics with the reduced voltages but that will be the luck of the draw.

I too, would like to see a good 1.5V rechargable batterie akin to the Eneloop.
07-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The NiZn batteries are higher voltage, ~1.73V.

Thank you
Russell
07-30-2010, 10:17 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jerome Smith Quote
You should use 1.5V batteries! The power pack is trying to convert 9V to 330V, by reducing the voltage, 1.2V per cell, you will have a lower voltage out of the power pack. You have two things going on here, there is not enough voltage for the voltage multipilers to work properly and the flash, IF, it fires will not have enough voltage to fully drive the strobe and will have reduced output and can cause misfires. It is also possible to damage the electronics with the reduced voltages but that will be the luck of the draw.

I took the plunge and used the Ni-MH's. Works like a charm! I'm getting around 1 second recycle times for sub full charge bursts.

Interestingly, I've read somewhere that the Powerex's are above 1.4V when fully charged. I don't have the gadgets (or inclination) to measure any of this, but I'm happy enough atm.

Cheers,
M

11-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,

I've just received the power pack. Is it normal that there isn't anny battery cover (juste the normal case)?

Regards.

Malsi

Last edited by Malsi; 11-24-2010 at 02:48 PM.
11-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jerome Smith Quote

Alkalines actually operate under load at lower voltages than NiMh.
12-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Malsi Quote
Is it normal that there isn't anny battery cover (juste the normal case)?
That's correct!!