Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2010, 03:01 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
... this is where Cotton Carrier comes in but that too has some inherent flaws with the connectors being reported on some forums as coming "un-attached",..
I really like the side/hip Cotton Carrier, but I don't use it as intended. I just mount a Kirk 1.75" QR clamp on the mount and then just use the Kirk to mount and dismount the camera. I don't think it is any slower than slipping the Cotton Carrier's mount in and out for me.

I think the issue with the mount coming loose is because they put a 1/4-20 mount in the middle of the mount screw. It is pretty hard to find a tool to work for tightening the screw. I usually end up using a Dime with a small crescent wrench to tighten the screw into the QR clamp. They really should have made this an Allen bolt type. Maybe it would be possible to machine an Allen head into the bottom of the 1/4-20 hole?

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 08-02-2010 at 09:07 AM.
08-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #17
Veteran Member

IMO has 90% of the disadvantages of a neckstrap, it still puts the weight on your neck/shoulders.

Strapping the camera to a good backpack that has a waistbelt allows you to carry much more weight, more comfortably, for a longer period of time.

I usually strap my K20D to a Kelty Redwing 3100 pack using straps from Kinesis.
08-02-2010, 09:55 AM   #18
Veteran Member

As a previous contributer, on this subject, I had the misfortune to use the 'Blackrapid' product and even though I was fully aware of the risks of using the screw into the tripod fitting (regularly checking it for tightness) the worst case scenario did happen to me.

I am now using the 'Crumpler' product with the same camera attaching concept as the normal neck strap (risk free IMO) - but it is a side/hip type which I can carry around all day without stress.
08-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
why pay $25 for from what i can see is a a loop with a ring on it (the kind that connects your keys together).....could knock that up in a few seconds.

or is there something going on with this thing that im unaware of

08-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beer_nuts Quote
why pay $25 for from what i can see is a a loop with a ring on it (the kind that connects your keys together).....could knock that up in a few seconds.

or is there something going on with this thing that im unaware of
Nope, pegged it!
08-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have actually tried both the Rapid Strap and the Y-strap. Either of these 2 shoulder/hip straps are, in my experience, a quantum step up from the ordinary neck strap in comfort. I find neck straps, such as the Pentax one that came with my camera, to be a very uncomfortable way of supporting a K20/K10 for any but short durations.

If one does nothing but studio or landscape photography, then it is unnecessary to be able to quickly take a picture in transit. One can easily buy a small/large camera bag as a way to transport a camera to the scene location. Or one can use a hand strap to hold the camera by hand. But if one wants to be open to taking quick snaps of wildlife encountered on a trail or in street photography for extended periods, than a shoulder/hip strap has a lot to offer, in my opinion. I also don't want to have to carry a backpack in order to walk around town with my camera. Also, people in your area seem much less initimidated by a camera on the hip rather than one on your chest, as in neck strap, facing them.

Many times on a trail, one needs both hands to get over a log/obstruction, shoulder/hip straps are much better at this than a neck strap.

Are shoulder/hip straps perfect? Of course not, there are pros and cons to every approach. But i have safely tucked away my Pentax neck strap in the camera box if i ever decide to sell my K20. One things for sure, my Y strap is going to be installed on my next camera if i get another one. Its that good IMO.

For people who want to build one of their own, the Y strap has the two ends of the loop sewn together to prevent any loss of the camera. I don't think the average sewing machine is capable of sewing two heavy straps together, but i may be wrong. Also be sure that any split key rings you use are tempered steel. (If they have that spring like quality and are difficult to install, thats a good sign. Do not use cheap wire loops that are sometimes used with trinkets or sales tags; they very well may not support the weight of your camera - they can usually be easily deformed by ones fingers and thats a sign they are not tempered steel)

Best wishes,

Last edited by philbaum; 08-02-2010 at 10:47 AM.
08-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Either of these 2 shoulder/hip straps are, in my experience, a quantum step up from the ordinary neck strap in comfort.
I was going to post the same. I pretty much use all the ways of carrying a camera; shoulder, neck, backpack straps, Bino harness, hip/belt clip, hand grip. It is like bags, it depends on the situation and environment I going to be shooting in. I think people get too caught up in thinking there is only one way to do things.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 08-03-2010 at 01:00 AM.
08-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #23
Veteran Member

When I use something other than a wrist strap (an optech one, which I love and have on all my cameras 90% of the time), I use a pacsafe Carrysafe 100 camera strap. Not really for the security features, but it is actually a cheap option for a strap that is long enough to be extended to be worn bandolier style (I am a bigger guy, some might not need as much extension!). I always wear my camera bandolier style, then it stays out of the way and doesn't bounce around your neck when not in use. This strap in particular works well because it is not sticky; the shoulder pad does stay in place easily though, and I find it quite comfortable (wouldn't think so to look at it, as the strap is quite thin, I guess the shoulder pad does a good job).

I use a quick release plate that has a camera strap lug, and attach the strap hooks to the left side of the camera, rather than the usual top two lugs. With the right length, the grip/shutter rest easily under your right hand and the lens hangs straight down, works well for me!
08-02-2010, 11:50 PM   #24

the concept of this y strap is serving its purpose well for me
so much so that i have several in different colors black with red trim, red with black trim, olive drab with black trim, pentax green with black trim, yellow with black trim from tubular webbing used for mountain climbing harness
all in body strap length with matching hand straps from the excess length
zip tie on right side of k-7 and appropriate key ring
all items well under usd 25
08-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Nope, pegged it!
Just put one together myself. 10 sec. to grab the strap from my Pentax holster bag, 30 sec. to find the spare key ring, and 20 sec. to put it all together.
08-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #26
Nubi

It would have been more convincing for my trained eyes if the dude in the video was using a Pentax camera instead of that toy camera look alike.
08-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Just put one together myself. 10 sec. to grab the strap from my Pentax holster bag, 30 sec. to find the spare key ring, and 20 sec. to put it all together.
Sounds like an impressive DIY project!
08-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
When I use something other than a wrist strap (an optech one, which I love and have on all my cameras 90% of the time), I use a pacsafe Carrysafe 100 camera strap. Not really for the security features, but it is actually a cheap option for a strap that is long enough to be extended to be worn bandolier style (I am a bigger guy, some might not need as much extension!). I always wear my camera bandolier style, then it stays out of the way and doesn't bounce around your neck when not in use. This strap in particular works well because it is not sticky; the shoulder pad does stay in place easily though, and I find it quite comfortable (wouldn't think so to look at it, as the strap is quite thin, I guess the shoulder pad does a good job).

I use a quick release plate that has a camera strap lug, and attach the strap hooks to the left side of the camera, rather than the usual top two lugs. With the right length, the grip/shutter rest easily under your right hand and the lens hangs straight down, works well for me!
I like the word "bandolier" style that you used to describe your camera strap. Sounds like all these straps we are talking about, e.g. black rapid, Y strap, Carrysafe 100, etc are all bandolier style but vary in the details.

Has anyone used a bandolier style strap that is locked into one's belt?? The Y strap has these two earlike strap ends that are sewn large enough to pass a belt through one or both of them. I used one of those ears to put my belt through, but then found that the
length of the y strap was insufficient for this arrangement, so that when you lifted the camera into shooting position, it hampered getting the camera to the eye. The Y strap orginator advises that the Y strap be adjusted high enough on the waist such that the bottom edge of the camera just touches the waist belt, so obviously, i guess he didn't use a strap loop to connect to the belt either.
08-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #29
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
For real?!? Looks pretty simple to me...I can't see how it would be a pita at all.

c[_]
I'm not strapping up for battle to invade a neighboring country. I'm taking pictures.

So what the hell is so difficult about hanging your camera strap over your shoulder, or holding your camera tight with your hand? Or God forbid, holding your camera in two hands in anticipation of a subject suddenly popping up?

These things are ridiculous to me, geared not toward better photography, but geared toward photographer's who THINK it's a better solution.
08-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Has anyone used a bandolier style strap that is locked into one's belt?
I bought a Jerry's Swamp Strap. It is a long piece of 1" webbing with a couple of triglides, a buckle, military style J-hooks, and a number of 3/8" split rings. It isn't a comfortable solution, places the weight around the neck same as a neck strap, but does help control the camera.

It is long enough that I have tried it a lot of different ways. One being to cross the loop around my shoulders harness style and clip one side to my belt with the camera on the other. I also tried this harness style with two cameras. I wouldn't recommend either way to carry a camera. The cross shoulder strap is just easier and more comfortable.

I bought a pair (one package) of 1" Fast Tab Lash points and have used that to make the Swap Strap into a harness now. This moves the weight from around the neck and still provides the camera control the original strap use provided. This probably isn't any better, but is more expensive, than a Optech Bino Harness.

Thank you
Russell