Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
Forum Member

Tripods - 3 vs. 4 section legs, carbon vs. alum.

Hi,

I'm looking for a tripod for my K-7 and I'm trying to decide between one with 3 leg sections or 4 leg sections. Obviously 4 sections makes for a shorter package when folded, but does it sacrifice stability compared to the similar model, but with 3 leg sections?

For example, I'm considering the Slik Pro 813 CF-II and the the Pro 814 CF-II. Basically the same model, just different number of leg sections. (These have carbon fiber legs.)

Or, for going bit cheaper, the Induro 8M AT113 vs AT114. (These have aluminum legs.)

I've also heard that carbon fiber legs transmit vibration more than aluminum. Is that true? Are there any other pros/cons beside price & weight when comparing carbon fiber and aluminum?

Thanks!
Greg

08-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Well for one thing, you can dip the cabon fiber on salt water and not be worried about oxidation or "rusting" like for aluminum or metal legs.

You can use carbon fiber as a weapon and swing it on somebody and it won't get bent too..
08-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hmmm... actually, the thing about salt water is very applicable. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that.

As far as using it for a weapon, not so applicable.

But what about 3 vs 4 leg sections?
08-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
3 or 4 section depends on your gear. I have a K7 and bunch of manual lenses. 4 section serves well enough.
In terms of carbon vs. aluminum, consider this. In cold weather, which one would you rather touch and fiddle with? Plus, carbon is usually lighter to carry too.

08-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I started out with my first quality tripod being a carbon fiber Monfrotto 190CSX, i think. Sort of short for normal use, but worked well for me. Found that without spikes, it didn't weight enough so often had to hang my camera bag on it when not on concrete, e.g. on grass or forest ground.

Then recently got an almost 5 lb aluminum tripod that i only use from my car. Has a set of spikes on it that would put the Roman legion to shame. Has a special tripod collar that allows the neck to be used at any angle for sideways projection. Very solid and often i don't need any additional weight. Spikes are long enough to get down thru loose surface cover and lock into the ground. Now it makes my Monfrotto feel more like a hiking tripod :-)

Comments re your thread:

1. unless you need it for a pure hiking tripod, 3 segments mean that there are 3 less joints to tighten when you set it up. Also, when they put 4 segments on a tripod, it usually means that the smallest tubes are getting pretty sAlumall, which allows more wobble. Alas, everything is a tradeoff.

2. A heavy duty aluminum tripod with spikes works great for use in short distances from a car. Carbon fiber is nicer for longer carry distances.
08-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hmmm... well, I'm think I'm leaning heavily toward the 4-section, carbon fiber Slik.

My thought is (after reading the comments here as well as a few more reviews I've found) are that if I want something for travel, I should get something that's for travel, and if it's not quite sturdy enough for certain conditions, I can get a more heavy-duty setup later on for those conditions. (But I'll see how often I encounter those conditions first.)

I think if I try to split the difference I'll end up with something not small/light enough for travel, but still not sturdy enough for when (if) I need something sturdy.

I hope that made sense!
08-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

In general terms, 3 section is sturdier than 4 section legs, and carbon fiber transmits less vibration than aluminium.
If you want a tripod who's performance far exceeds it's price tag, have a look at the Feisol CF tripods.
I'm using a 3 section tournament for general use, it supports my K7/60-250 very nicely, and also one of their larger ones for supporting my 600/5.6.

08-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Well, in total I had four tripods, three of them were Sliks, two of them are carbon fibre and one of them was Slik 813CF II.

In general Slik legs are very good. Better than many same and more priced alternatives. Tripod heads which are bundled with tripods are crap... Get Slik legs without head and get head separately.

My review of 813CF II i here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/45466-tri...tml#post743288

Currently I use Feisol legs and Markins head: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/45466-tri...tml#post749050

And if I would summarize my experience with tripods: get good quality tripod and head at the very beginning. You'll save a lot of money compared to getting cheap tripod and then upgrading, upgrading, upgrading....
08-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Well, in total I had four tripods, three of them were Sliks, two of them are carbon fibre and one of them was Slik 813CF II.

In general Slik legs are very good. Better than many same and more priced alternatives. Tripod heads which are bundled with tripods are crap... Get Slik legs without head and get head separately.

My review of 813CF II i here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/45466-tri...tml#post743288
It was your review that lead me to look at the 813, and then I also saw the 814. I was thinking of getting an Induro BHD0 ballhead to go with.

From your review, it seemed like you liked this one a bit less than the Slik because of lack of center column and it not being too sturdy with legs fully extended.

Some of the other Feisols look pretty nice though - I'll have to give them a harder look.

And if I would summarize my experience with tripods: get good quality tripod and head at the very beginning. You'll save a lot of money compared to getting cheap tripod and then upgrading, upgrading, upgrading....
That's my plan!
08-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
See my 2 section legged, waterproof to 33" tripod review.

PentaxForums.com Pentax Accessory Review Database - Flashes, Grips, Camera Bags - Benbo Clasic No 2
08-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Wow, the Feisol travel tripod looks like the bee's knees! (Note: I've never before used that phrase!)
FEISOL CT-3441S with Center Column and a Tripod Bag

The Slik 814 CF II is the same price as the Feisol, but the Feisol looks like it might be better. (The Feisol looks to fold smaller, yet extends longer than the Slik. It also has a higher max-load, but weighs less (2.2lbs vs. 3.5lbs).)

Has anyone used both? Can you compare the stability? (I read a review on the Slik on B&H that claimed the 814 was very stable for such a small travel tripod.) How can the Feisol be so much lighter but have such a higher (claimed) max load?

I just may have to go with one of those tripods now. Their panning ball head (CB-40D) looks quite nice as well. It's got quite a large max-load as well.

Greg
08-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think there is an agreed upon standard for tripod loading measurements, so it is quite possible that Slik is more conservative in their load capacities.
I'm using the 3 section version of the tripod you are looking at with the CB-50D head and am more than satisfied.
One think I have found is that I almost never have the center column mounted. The tripod is tall enough to do what I need it to do without the column.
Remember that the tripod height is to the yoke, putting a head on adds a few inches of height.
08-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GregX999 Quote
Their panning ball head (CB-40D) looks quite nice as well. It's got quite a large max-load as well.
I was just going to make one comment. The CB-40D is not a true panning head. In fact most ball heads are not true panning ball heads. If the tripod is not set perfectly level (via the legs), then when you rotate the ball head using the panning base (which is usually beneath the ball), you will not be able to get a true level horizontal pan.

In order to get a true level pan, with out the tripod being perfectly level, you need the panning plane to be on top of the ball of the ball head, with the quick release clamp on top of that. This stacking arrangement will ensure that whatever near level (or not level) orientation the tripod may be in, that once the ball head is leveled, they you will have a true level panning plane.

I cant tell how much this may matter to your intended use (it might not matter at all) ....
08-04-2010, 01:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GregX999 Quote
Has anyone used both? Can you compare the stability? (I read a review on the Slik on B&H that claimed the 814 was very stable for such a small travel tripod.) How can the Feisol be so much lighter but have such a higher (claimed) max load?
First of all, carbon fibre of Slik and Feisol is different.
Second - tripod head base of Feisol is made from lighter metal.
Third - as someone already has mentioned, it could be differences in measuring loads...
08-04-2010, 05:11 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you need to look closely at each design

as a general statement 3 section legs are more stable than 4, but the real test of stability is with the legs fully extended, then the overlap within the tubes and the fit of the bushings dictates things and a good 4 section might be better than a crappy 3 section. BUT a 4 section generally collapses to a smaller overall dimension, which is of interest if you are travelling.

I agree with all comments about heads, the ones bundled are cheap and add their own vibration.

Also, look for a tripod with built in levels, they are useful. as is a tripod with a reversable center column

I prefer tripods with threaded leg clamps not toggles because the locking over time with toggles can fail

I prefer tripods with a secondary support, locking the legs to the central column this makes things much more stable.

as for the difference between aluminum and carbon fibre, I am not so sure there is a clear winner, Carbon is generally lighter, and has different vibrations than aluminum, but both will require adding significant weight under them to dampen things for long lenses. I generally hook my bag under the tripod to add weight, others use sandbags or rocks.

Heads are a different thing all together, I presently use monfretto ball heads, but may look at a panning head at some time. The issue with panning heads is I have found that when they are loose, you have one allignment and when you lock the allignment changes both in the vertical and horizontal, so I went away from them. ALso, they are no better than ball heads for long lenses, and in fact the number of different parts makes them more prone to high frequency vibrations than a ball head.