Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lens hoods on full frame, APS-C...

Most of my lenses are full frame lenses, but I also use most of my lenses on my APS-C K200D, which means that none of those hoods are as effective as they could be. Is it worth calculating the correct hood dimensions for my full frame lenses on APS-C and trying to track down some third-party hoods that would be appropriate?

(Part of me thinks that if this was truly important, lens makers would already be making APS-C lens hoods as accessories customers could buy, since they could probably make some good money selling them...)

08-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think so, as the stock hoods are typically big enough

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
(Part of me thinks that if this was truly important, lens makers would already be making APS-C lens hoods as accessories customers could buy, since they could probably make some good money selling them...)
Actually, some lens makers do offer an APS-C hood options. The new Sigma 70-200mm lens (w/ OS) comes with an APS-C hood extender that goes in between the stock hood and the front of the lens. This gives you the flexibility to shoot on either FF/film or a crop sensor with the same hood by either adding or removing the extender.
08-04-2010, 07:29 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Actually, some lens makers do offer an APS-C hood options. The new Sigma 70-200mm lens (w/ OS) comes with an APS-C hood extender that goes in between the stock hood and the front of the lens. This gives you the flexibility to shoot on either FF/film or a crop sensor with the same hood by either adding or removing the extender.
Aha! That's really cool. It's interesting that it's taken anyone so many years to introduce this, it makes a lot of sense. I wonder if Sigma will be offering any extenders like this for their past lenses?

Regarding your comment Adam: "...the stock hoods are typically big enough." I'm not sure what you mean... a full frame hood is simply not big enough for an APS-C sensor. Heck, even a full frame hood on a full frame body isn't ideal for all apertures of a given lens:

"A lens that is regularly used at various apertures requires hood adjustment each time another f-stop is chosen. Impractical, but it can be done with a continuously variable, compendium type lens hood."

And that's not even taking into account zoom lenses, which have a hood which is typically insufficient for long focal lengths, because it has to be designed for the shortest focal length (widest angle of view), unless the hood attaches to part of the lens that stays stationary while the front element moves outward at short focal lengths and moves inward for long focal lengths, effectively changing the hood dynamically with the focal length, which I don't think any K-mount lenses do.

08-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I bought several no-name metal hoods that were designed for "50-85mm" and they work just fine for my wide angle lenses (20-35mm!). It is worth a test.