Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2010, 06:21 AM   #1
Inactive Account

corrupted SD card- all my photos look like this...

i've ran disk utility on the card, and sometimes it repairs it just fine, other times it slows to a halt and dies- file transfer is painfully slow too

I know the card is toast, but is there any way to salvage the images?

is it common for SD cards to die, i've only had it 2 years, it is a pretty cheap brand though, Pq1

08-04-2010, 07:20 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Images from my camera also turn out like that sometimes. Check the preview of that photo on camera if it is looking normal then it is just a image copy process gone bad.
08-04-2010, 07:35 AM   #3

This screen capture reminded me of a topic I read on a blog some couple of months ago. I found it but unfortunately, this is french : Google translator might be able to help a bit (otherwise, tell me which part you would want to understand).

DigitLife | Apple @ Photo: Photos corrompues: attention à votre stratégie de sauvegarde

I find big similarities between your case and their case. They work on a Mac and on a RAW picture as what you do too.

At first, the topic is based on the necessity to do multiple backups on different support as the author suspected his hard drive to be corrupted (Some of his RAW pictures have bad appearance as you can see). Then, starting the 8th remark, some other reasons start to appear with the resolution of the problem, like:
- changing RAM memory,
- OS X 10.6 bug...

At the end, the author of this topic finally resolved the problem by finding the responsible of these troubles, to be the hard drive controller.
In any case, don't throw your pics.

I hope it helps.
08-04-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I've recently also one picture like that. No idea where it comes from. In my case I've done some different things like looking at the pictures with Faststone on the card and loading some pictures from the card into Elements and then you bring on some changes. So no idea where it started. But I als o used a PQ1 card.

08-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Do the pictures look like this on the camera's LCD? What about if you import them to different software on a different computer?

Paul
08-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
emr

Are you importing them from the camera with a USB cable or do you use a card reader? Just an idea that perhaps you could try the method different from what you've done.
08-09-2010, 04:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clark Quote

i've ran disk utility on the card, and sometimes it repairs it just fine, other times it slows to a halt and dies- file transfer is painfully slow too

I know the card is toast, but is there any way to salvage the images?

is it common for SD cards to die, i've only had it 2 years, it is a pretty cheap brand though, Pq1
Do the images look that way when viewing them from the camera?!?
If not then you've just made good progress on figuring this out