Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Which Tripod

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Okay now that i have my camera and Lens of choice i would like to purchase a good tripod..Would appreciate opinions on best tripod for an amatuer or hobby Photographer..
Cheers

08-21-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
roy
Inactive Account

ebay-- amvona
08-21-2007, 06:24 PM   #3
Forum Member

I was looking through for tripods too, after multiple recommendations for Slik, I found the Slik 700dx the best value. It has solid reviews for being steady. Slik Pro 700DX Tripod Reviews at PhotographyReview.com
08-21-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
roy
Inactive Account

what i and many i know use
HERE
not the head but the legs..

08-21-2007, 06:57 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Papou Quote
Okay now that i have my camera and Lens of choice i would like to purchase a good tripod..Would appreciate opinions on best tripod for an amatuer or hobby Photographer..
Cheers
I'll second the SLIK - although the 700 maybe more than you need. I got a slightly smaller one. Check out their site @ thkphoto.com
08-22-2007, 08:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm going to buck the trend I guess.

My suggestion is for a tilt/pan head. Currently I use the 3047 Bogen Manfrotto. It's my personal opinion that for landscape and portrait type photos that a tilt/pan style head is best. Especially one that's incremented so you can always return to your exact position. The tilt/pan head makes pano shots a breeze as well!

Couple that 3047 tilt/pan head with the 3021B-Pro leg set and you've got a very solid tripod.

FYI- B&H has the 3021B-Pro leg set WITH a tilt/pan head for $282... The tilt/pan head they include is not as heavy as the 3047 however, it does have incrementation on it.
08-22-2007, 08:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have a Manfrotto (Bogen) 3021BN and a 488CR ball head. I like it a lot. Much better than the tripod I got off of ebay (Amvona) but I like the Amvona pistol grip too.

08-22-2007, 10:00 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Cheers
Need some info:

Budget: $100 or $1000 or something in between

Use: Sitting in a studio (no weight limit), or hiking for three days in the wilderness (as light as possible)

Equipment: What is the lens with the longest focal length you will use over the life of the tripod, and what is the heaviest weight of the camera/lens you will use over the life of the tripod.

With this information, some intelligent recommendations can be made.
08-22-2007, 02:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
ebay-- amvona

I'm gonna second this motion. I have a really nice rock solid tripod from Amvona via ebay and a carbon fiber monopod as well. You can really get a great deal as long as you're persistant and realistic
08-22-2007, 06:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Papou,
Whereabouts in Qld? I'm in Burleigh.
Tripods.
What is your use for the tripod likely to be? Are you going to use it for travel? Is size an issue? Weight?
Think a bit about your answer because buying the right tripod for your needs is the trick here, otherwise you will end up buying several :ugh:
The head is also critical and relates to the above question.
The whole point of buying a tripod is to stabilise your camera, beware the cheapies.
The best suggestion I can give you is to go into some shops and try out different tripods & heads.
If you're nearby I can give you the name of a retailer that carries good quality stuff.
Generally speaking you can not go wrong with Manfrotto.
Cheers,
Grant
08-22-2007, 06:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I am quite happy with my Velbon Sherpa tripod ... can't remember the model number though.
Not that heavy ... quite strong and sturdy as well.
08-22-2007, 07:14 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
G'day Grant, mate i'm just north of you in Gladstone and yes wouldnt mind the name of the retailer ey..
Originally heart was set on a manfrotto but then read reports about carbon fibre?? tripods etc and thought ide ask the question prior to buying..
Just have an old cheapie which i carted around Tassie with me for coupla weeks which sorta done the job but not as good as i would have liked..
Mainly for travel, wateralls especially..Macro, and portrait.. Non profesional as just like my Photography as a personal passion..

Cheers and really appreciate the assistance..
08-22-2007, 09:17 PM   #13

Hi Guys,

I have a couple of questions about the Amvona Tripods. I currently have a cheap Giottos, and a Manfrotto monopod, with 486RC2 head. Does Amvona make any tripods with a horizontal feature for the centre column? I have been interested in the Manfrotto 190Pro for this feature, but it is pricey. Second question is about the quick release plates on the Amvona heads. They look similar, but Anvona doesn't specify this.

Chris
08-22-2007, 09:25 PM   #14
Inactive Account

I can recommend with no hesitation a big clunky and heavy Manfrotto 055. I have an old version that is like a tank. I have the Manfrotto super 3D head on it. Just do not throw your back out or drop it on a toe if you do follow my advice.

I also bought a Cameron tripod with a pistol ball head grip. It isn't as heavy or as sturdy, but it does the job on short to medium sized lenses.

There are so many tripods out there...so long as it is sturdy, you can't really go wrong with any of them.

Carbon fiber is lighter and has better dampening characteristics then all other materials. It is also much more expensive. For what I do with it, the 055 is more then enough for me.
08-22-2007, 11:16 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day Grant, mate i'm just north of you in Gladstone and yes wouldnt mind the name of the retailer ey..
Originally heart was set on a manfrotto but then read reports about carbon fibre?? tripods etc and thought ide ask the question prior to buying..
Just have an old cheapie which i carted around Tassie with me for coupla weeks which sorta done the job but not as good as i would have liked..
Mainly for travel, wateralls especially..Macro, and portrait.. Non profesional as just like my Photography as a personal passion..

Cheers and really appreciate the assistance..
Papou. I have the Manfrotto 055 tripod (approx $200), a monopod (?$120+?) and the pistol grip head 222 ($140). Both are great, well built, solid and get a fair bit of use. BUT....its a heavy and big tripod to lug around, the head is almost as heavy as the tripod!
Having said that you will only look at saving 0.5 to 1.0 kg with carbon fibre, and part with a lot of cash in the process.
I have just bought another tripod for travel as the 055 would not fit in my bag for airline travel, so I have had a pretty good look around in the last week or two. Check down this forum for a thread about the Gitzo Traveller Tripod, alot of the stuff I looked at was so bloody flimsy you wouldn't touch it.

I go to a shop here on the coast, "Star Optics" at Miami/Broadbeach they have a good range of quality stuff.
Don't overlook a mono-pod, mine goes with me everywhere.
Cheers
Grant