Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2010, 07:59 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Correct Takumar Lens case

I recently obtained a Macro-Takumar F4/50mm lens. ( 1:1 , 1st issued macro lens prior to Super, etc?)

The Macro came with a hard case, fits in nicely, but I don't think it is the correct one.

The top of the case has the Asahi Optical Co. LOGO. The interior of the case is green felt.

Anyone know what case this was used for?

Anyone know what case the lens orginally came with? Takumar, etc. on top? Red felt interior?

Thanks!

Attached Images

08-06-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

This is the right case. Red interiors came with S-M-C lenses
08-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by CarbonR Quote
This is the right case. Red interiors came with S-M-C lenses
not always true. the case, its colours and the logo/info on top can be dependent on when exactly the particular lens was manufactured. I have a copy of this lens which I purchased as a BNIB item and it has a case that has red on the inside and is marked “Takumar 4/50”. I cant say if that is the correct case for your lens or not. the macro takumar preset is a unique size so if the case seems to fit correctly and this is an early example of the lens, then it could very well be the correct case. another possibility is that this was sold as a ‘Honeywell Pentax’ lens. just a guess there but its a possibility.

also, its nice to see you on the PentaxForums CarbonR. doubt you remember me from MFLenses forum, but its nice to have you here.
08-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

That's the bible that says it, and that's what I thought too. AOCO cases are the oldest, the one with the Takumar name are more recent. I think that for the cases, it depends on the stocks, maybe your lens was nt sold and they added the case of an S-M-C. OH and sure I remember you from MFLenses

08-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by CarbonR Quote
That's the bible that says it, and that's what I thought too. AOCO cases are the oldest, the one with the Takumar name are more recent. I think that for the cases, it depends on the stocks, maybe your lens was nt sold and they added the case of an S-M-C. OH and sure I remember you from MFLenses
I have a copy of that on the way to me from the author. I cant wait to get it. as for the cases, I know for certain, that the cases changed designs and such during lenses manufacturing run. for example, I have had two examples of the auto-takumar 35/3.5. one with a brown case and one with a black case. I also know that often the lenses sold as honeywell pentax takumars tended to have different cases. as for the using of an S-M-C case. thats possible I guess but the later versions of this lens are of a different size, not being presets, and this particular lens is old enough that the first versions could very well have had the AoCo logo’d cases. reference books are great, but they cant account for everything, including transitions of design during manufacturing runs, etc.