Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2007, 09:20 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pros / Cons: Leaving a Quick-Release Plate on Camera

Finally bit the bullet and bought a good tripod. It's the Manfrotto 3021BPro with a 322RC2 Ball Head. I plan on using the tripod much more than I have in the past. I'm concerned that taking the QR plate on and off a lot may, over time, mangle the threads on the camera. Any problems with just leaving the plate on the camera permanently?

08-22-2007, 09:31 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I have a Really Right Stuff plate mounted on my K10D and it's been there for over 4 months with no problems. Several other cameras (and brands) I've owned in the past I have done the same without ever having any real issues. It's very handy when you get a situation where you want to take a good shot with a tripod, but you need to compose and take it quickly. Leave it on if it suits you!
Rob W
08-22-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I leave a manfrotto plate on both the DS & DL.
No problems.
08-23-2007, 01:58 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I'd have thought trying to put it on and take it off quickly all the time would be more likely to mangle the thread. If I couldn't leave it on my camera, it wouldn't be very quick!

08-23-2007, 02:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

never thought about the pros and cons of taking a QR plate on and off. (no sarcasm intended) what's the point of having a QR plate if you don't leave it on the camera?

I've had QR plates mounted to my cameras since I got my good tripod back in 2000, and the only reason I've ever take them off was once when I wasn't taking the tripod along to a family outing.
08-23-2007, 04:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CDP Quote
(snip) I'm concerned that taking the QR plate on and off a lot may, over time, mangle the threads on the camera.

Tripod mounts on cameras are pretty darn sturdy. Indeed, I've never seen one worn out from just normal use, even on really old cameras. Instead, I suspect one would have to physically abuse the mount, such as really tightening down the tripod bolt with a wrench, to actually mangle the threads.

QuoteQuote:
Any problems with just leaving the plate on the camera permanently?

Absolutely none. Just a matter of personal preference. In my case, I only use a tripod about 20% of the time, with no real need to keep the quick release installed for the remaining 80%. Therefore, I remove it between tripod sessions. During those tripod sessions, the release is used to quickly alternate between the tripod and hand-holding the camera. But, again, all that is entirely my personal preference, not due to some cause for you to worry about.

stewart
08-23-2007, 05:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I was on holidays a couple of years ago, travelling with 2 film bodies. We stopped at some caves, and I wanted to shoot with high speed film so I quickly removed my Manfrotto Tripod QR plate from one body and moved it to the other.

While waiting for the tour to start, I put the camera and flash on the tripod and leaned back to relax. That's when the camera, lens and flash teetered and fell off the tripod. The flash smashed into many pieces, camera & lens ok.

In my haste, I had put the QR plate on backwards.

A second plate was purchased at the next opportunity, and it's never been off my cameras since.

dk

08-23-2007, 08:05 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Cons: It's slightly more difficult to fit the camera in the bag. That's it. Nothing else I can think of.
08-23-2007, 08:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have a Velbon tripod for my K100D and leave the QR plate on it. My only problem is fitting my camera in my bag - minor nuisance, but having the ability to put the camera back on the tripod right away when needed pays its dividends.
08-23-2007, 01:23 PM   #10
CDP
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK! What I was most concerned about was hearing horror stories of the camera bottom getting bent or distorted by the plate. All is warm and fuzzy now. Thanks!
08-23-2007, 03:06 PM   #11
roy
Inactive Account

mines on all the time. i keep the camera when not in use on the collapsed tripod. it works for me. i do however have some small cracks in the bottom of my DS. they don't bother me.
08-23-2007, 03:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
Cons: It's slightly more difficult to fit the camera in the bag. That's it. Nothing else I can think of.
Cons: Unless you invest heavily in a "system" with compatible QR plates ($$$$), you often wind up switch QRs anyway.
Also bad for hikers in some ways, as many QR systems add significant bulk/weight to whatever camera support system they have. For example, I almost never leave a QR plate on my camera any more because putting a QR mount on my frequently-used Leki Sierra would destroy its balance and make it an AWFUL trekking pole.
08-24-2007, 09:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Pros:

* You can quickly attach your camera to the tripod.

** I can't think of any others

Cons:

* Takes up extra space in case

* Camera may not sit properly on flat surface

* Adds extra weight

* Effects balance/comfort possibly

* The screw might weld itself in the camera from never being removed

* Chicks don't like it.
08-24-2007, 11:36 AM   #14
Forum Member

I find leaving the QR plate on causes the camera to sit funny and the plate to dig into my side when I'm walking with the camera. I use a longer strap, and throw it over my neck and shoulder such that the camera sits just above my right hip. This leaves me a lot of room for motion without hurting the camera and keeps it in a very comfortable position - but the QR plate digs into my hip and the camera won't sit lens down with it on (because it digs in and catches -- keeping the lens facing out on me).

!c
08-29-2007, 06:22 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
I have a Velbon tripod for my K100D and leave the QR plate on it. My only problem is fitting my camera in my bag - minor nuisance, but having the ability to put the camera back on the tripod right away when needed pays its dividends.
I leave my Velbon tripod QR plate on my K10D as well ... although my bag allows for the internal wall to move slightly ... slotting my camera (with plate) in with no issue.

I don't even realise I have the plate on the camera when hand holding either.

So i just leave it on all of the time now ... no cons at all here for me.