Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mine only weights a little over one kg so I just stick one leg of the tripod through my belt.

08-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/87586-car...afe-strap.html

This is my DIY method for carrying a very big and heavy old tripod, and I still use it a lot.

The leather attachments have held up to a lot of work and haven't rubbed the finish off the tripod at all.
08-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
Just wondering: do you lug it around by hand, put it in a large pack, tie it to your ankles, what do you do with em if you're out in the field with one?
I've tried mounting the tripod horizontally, at the bottom or the top of the pack, but doing it that way the tripod seems to get caught on trees or railings so it doesn't work well.

Most packs have some sort of very strong, short haul/carry strap at top-center right between the shoulder straps, perfect for holding a tripod of almost any length. I usually carry a Gitzo 3-section tripod (21" collapsed) with the ballhead already installed, with two or three legs of the tripod dangling through the pack's carrying strap. This keeps the tripod out of the way, and puts the weight right on your shoulders where you can handle it best, yet the tripod is still instantly available without any unbuckling or unclipping. Nice solution while hiking or biking.

Some packs also have a strap down near the bottom, which you can use to keep the tripod legs from swinging around when you walk.
08-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
my case logic backpack has a tripod mount velcros on the side

08-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Generally I just carry it in one hand. I have a backpack for my dog, so he gets to carry most of my kit, the camera and usually half a dozen lenses. At some point I'll figure out a way to attach the tripod across his back and then he can carry that as well.
I carry it in my hand. I find it easier to carry 3,5kg tripod in my hand than a 1kg tripod on my back.
That dog idea was neat.
08-13-2010, 09:55 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't do any of the above. I am probably odd - my wife agrees, of course. I used pipe insulation to pad the legs of my Manfrotto 055, and carry it like a rifle on my shoulder, legs extended, with the 400 on the ball head (Manfrotto 168) and the K10 + grip and maybe a converter or the 50mm extension tube on it. I change shoulders from time to time, but can go much further since I added the padding. When chasing birds it gives the quickest set up time this way.
08-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I carry mine on a strap over my shoulder like a rifle.

11-08-2015, 04:32 PM   #23

I had a vacation to visit my daughter when she asked my for some good portrait photos before leaving. I bagged my retractable Slik tripod, an articulated flash arm and a photo umbrella inside the same tripod bag. All got used and traveled fine, even in a round air trip "from sea to shining sea". This and my Pentax digital photo hardware in another shoulder bag went with me as carry-on baggage without any issues.
11-10-2015, 01:36 PM   #24
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrEspie Quote
I've been known to throw my tripod in a bag from a collapsible camp chair when I'm walking a great distance with it. There's even enough excess space for a sweater. Otherwise, I just carry it by hand.
Those bags would work great for a tripod; I've used them for telescopes also, so they are strong enough for a tripod.

There's also a tripod strap from OpTech:

http://optechusa.com/tripod-strap.html

(BTW, I recommend OpTech products a lot; but am not affiliated with them whatsoever! I just really like their products, and they are made in the USA).
11-10-2015, 05:28 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Since I'm working out of a backpack almost exclusively, I found this tripod scabbard very useful for carrying my Uni-loc in the field:
Tactical Tripod Scabbard
It's designed for military-style packs with Molle/PALs fields, but a lot of packs (like my Hill People Gear "Ute") have attachment tabs that offer mounting options as well.
11-11-2015, 06:19 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrEspie Quote
I've been known to throw my tripod in a bag from a collapsible camp chair when I'm walking a great distance with it. There's even enough excess space for a sweater.
That's a great idea! Thanks! I don't walk huge distances with my main tripod because it weighs a ton. But when I do need to carry it for a while, I use a heavy-duty dog leash as a strap. I clip it onto one of the control handles on my pan/tilt head and then make a loop out of the other end and put it around the legs. It probably won't work for hiking, but it's a good solution for carrying it around the zoo, arts festivals, etc...
11-11-2015, 06:59 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

My wife carries mine. It's an old Leitz Tiltall. I tell her it would be like if I golfed. Golfers need a caddy. But I don't golf.
11-11-2015, 07:38 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I padded my Manfrotto 055 with hot water pipe insulation. This solves two problems: cold aluminium and hard legs when carrying. I often carry my tripod with M400/5.6 plus camera with and without AFA 1.7x on my shoulder. The insulation cuts down on the pain of having bare metal on my shoulder. The legs are extended, but not spread. It is very quick to stick the front leg on the ground, and spread the other two to stabilize the tripod.
11-11-2015, 07:41 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
My wife carries mine. It's an old Leitz Tiltall. I tell her it would be like if I golfed. Golfers need a caddy. But I don't golf.
I can't believe you get away with that.... of course, my Tess has her own tripod....

I generally carry mine on my shoulder like a rifle, with camera attached.
11-11-2015, 08:00 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Carried with a sling like a rifle when moving about from point A to B.
If in active shooting mode, legs are extended, camera mounted, and whole setup leaning against the shoulder like a rifle on the march.