Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best type of SD card to use - regular, mini, micro?

I am new to SD cards, just picked up an istDS. I was going to buy a basic 2GB SanDisk card from Radio Shack. I have been using a SanDisk 2GB card like that in compact flash format in an istD for a few years now; I have no complaints.

• Is there a reason to get something different?
  • Would a higher capacity 4GB SDHC card read/write appreciably faster? Or would it be slower?
  • Is there a benefit to using a mini or micro via an adapter, or a drawback?

I tried googling this subject, and also searching this sub-forum, but couldn't find any clear answers anywhere. I understand to use SDHC I will need to flash the istDS, but it can use them. I understand there are "speed" ratings (class 2,4,6, etc) but I do not seem listed for cards I see advertised.

Last edited by Oro; 08-12-2010 at 03:28 PM.
08-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm not sure if the *istDS is able to use SDHC cards, as it came out right around the transition period between SD and SDHC.

Only regular form factor SD cards will fit in the camera. With Micro/Mini SD you'd have to use an adapter, so there's no point in using those.
08-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

This is a really good thread about cards

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/108577-so...card-card.html

I'd get something larger, maybe 4GB
Card speed depends on the speed rating, not the capacity
Mini and Micro SD cards are usually more expensive for the same speed and capacity
08-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
Oro

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks, folks.

Yes, the DS can take SDHC, you just update the firmware via your PC and the USB cable. Pentax has the software on their website.

OK, I see now I should just go strictly by "class." I do have a set of adapters and an SD multi-format card reader (for no good reason). So that was part of why i asked. Other than possible future use in a mini/micro device, then it appears there is no benefit. Thanks.

Last edited by Oro; 08-12-2010 at 04:10 PM.
08-13-2010, 06:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oro Quote
Thanks, folks.

Yes, the DS can take SDHC, you just update the firmware via your PC and the USB cable. Pentax has the software on their website.
This is true! The funny thing is, I just purchased an *ist DL a few months ago. It was new old stock (randomly found it on best buy's deal/auction site cowboom). Anyway, popped one of my SDHC cards in and it didn't work! What is funny, is that I had to go digging for a normal SD card (those are dated by about 5 years now!); luckily the microSD card I had for my cell phone was standard SD, so I could use that.