Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which bag? Slingshot 302 or Kata 3N1-30? Something else?

Ok it's hard buying stuff like this because the LCS doesn't have a really good selection...so it's tough to decide on a bag based on online images and specs.

Basically I'm looking for a large, comfortable Sling type bag to haul my gear around in. This is what I got...and yes, when I go out...I pretty much take it all:

Bodies: k7, k-x
Primes: 15 (K) 3.5, 17 (K) f/4 FE, 40(M) 2.8 Pancake, 50mm (M) 1.7, 85 (M) f/2, 100 (A) 2.8 Macro, 135 (K) 2.5
Zooms: 18-55 DAL, 55-300 DAL (will be adding something bigger in the near future, possibly a Sigma 150-500)

I'm currently toting everything around in a Lowepro Nova 4 AW...well, except the K-x as I can only fit one body in there with all those lenses. A day-trip last week convinced me I really need to get some sort of backpack as for 2 days afterward I felt like someone was stabbing me in the shoulder. I want a sling-type bag for fast access without having to worry about setting the bag down to get the camera out.

So what I've narrowed it down to is 2 bags...a Lowepro Slingshot 302AW...or the Kata 3N1-30. Both "seem" like they should be large enough for my needs...but I wonder if anyone can comment on these two bags (size, comfort, quality, etc). Or anyone else have a different suggestion? Like I said...it's tough when you can't touchy-feel it before buying and maybe stuff some gear in and see how it fits beforehand.

Thanks.

Last edited by jgmankos; 08-16-2010 at 12:39 PM.
08-16-2010, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #2
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm finding that I'm becoming more picky about how comfortable a bag is to lug around over how much it will hold. One problem with the slingshot is that it's limited to one shoulder. If that shoulder gets tired oh well. Tough it out. The Kata 3n1 solves that as it can sling on either side or backpack. And if you want to go from one to the other, you can put it on as a sling, cross the other strap and buckle it to distribute the weight on both shoulders, then unstrap to have the convenience of a sling for access again. I really want to get one but need to wait until my budget frees up a bit .
08-16-2010, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've ended up with the Tamrac Velocity 10x, sling but I can pack either multiple DSLRs or my 645 or the 645 plus a DSLR. It does not have the fancy side access, and that is my main issue with it, but moving the dividers around inside to get at the equipment below seems to work.

If I were not fairly tall (over 6'3") I'd probably opt for one of the smaller versions, especially for the K-x, but the 10x fit my back just right as a sling with the waist strap in place. One other nit, it does not work well as a shoulder bag, as the pad will not move around on the strap to a point were it is comfortable. I'd buy a separate pad if I were to use it in that way. However, it is also quite large to carry under an arm any way.

I don't have a store nearby to try the Kata, but I like their waist packs. That might be a great option.
08-16-2010, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Looking at photos of the lowepro 302 AW I can tell you the 3n1-30 is appreciably larger. It truly is backpack sized, but if you want something that will take everything you currently have with room to grow, it is going to have to be the 3n1-30. If you are considering a big lens like a 150-500, the 3n1-30 should be able to accommodate it attached to a body. For reference, when I had my 3n1-30 (have since returned to a backpack, sling didn't work for me), it could swallow the k20d with grip and 50-135mm with the hood extended.

The other positives of the 3n1 are dual straps so you can set it up to be slung over either shoulder, and if the weight gets to be too much, or you know you won't need quick access for the time being you can change it to backpack style. Finally, it is cheaper (though both can be had under $100 on ebay). Though I haven't owned a lowepro pack, from having looked at them in-store many times I would have to say the Kata bag has better overall build as well, the interior is quite modular, it is well padded and its also yellow inside making it easy to find everything.

08-16-2010, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

If you want a sling, you might also consider the LowePro Classified Slings, 100 and 200. They are designed better than the Slingshot series in my opinion. It is hard to beat the Kata 3N1 for its dual strap setup, however.

I think it is better to size a bag for what you normally carry, and add accessory lens cases for longer lenses when needed. Having a separate lens case for your large heavy lens means you can get the lens off of the bag to leave it somewhere when not needed, but still leave them protected. I think the 150-500mm will also come with a case that will work at no extra cost.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 08-16-2010 at 01:40 PM.
08-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses everyone...You've all brought up some good thoughts. When I wrote this I was leaning towards the Lowepro....but after some consideration and the advice here...it seems like the Kata is the bag I need. I really like the multi-carry concept (left, right, cross, traditional backpack)...and this bag looks like it will hold everything I need it to. So I think it's time to just bite the bullet and order one
08-21-2010, 08:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a kata and love it. Haven't taken it hiking yet but for travel around hawaii and the airports it's great. Fits in overhead bins fine. I love the strap changing abilities.

The marketplace has one for sale right now.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/110124-sale-k...-large-us.html