Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
Keebler

understanding the speed of mem cards and where to buy

Hey folks,

Proud new (1 month) old owner of a K100D and LOVING it. I bought a lexar 2 GB 133xs card with the camera. The salesperson admitted that I would quite get the full 133x, but maybe closer to 100x write speed. Is there a website or document I can read to better understand the requirements.

That question leads directly to #2

Are there any particular online stores you folks shop at for good deals on SD cards?
I'm headed to Portugal in the fall for a week with some long tours planned. I'd like to buy another card or 2 and if i can't rent a macbook, I might just buy a photobank (was reading the thread on that one). I'd like the fastest speed possible for my camera to take full advantage so my research prior to buying is key of course

Thanks folks. btw, what is the lingo for us Pentax folks? Pentaxites?

Cheerios,
Keebler

08-25-2007, 06:20 PM   #2
Inactive Account

pentaxians.

and it's amazon for me. 150X Transcend or 133X SanDisk (Ultimate III) are about £8-£15 from what I remember (no idea what they are in Canadian dollars, but then you tend to get things cheaper than us!). No problems with either. Also have an apacer 150X but that wasn't so cheap

I wouldn't worry about it too much to be honest. Just like with anything, it's not just about the numbers. There were some tests in a photo mag i was reading that found the sandisk 133X to be faster than some of the cheaper 150X. And the K100D can't write near 150X from what I hear. In summary: don't worry about it. You'll probably get what you pay for - BUT do shop around. I found amazon to be the cheapest over here but just make sure you don't get ripped off by a high street camera store! I have seen them selling cards for 5 times what they sell for online!

enjoy!
08-25-2007, 06:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If you live in the United States - newegg.com

Excellent service, excellent prices. I have yet to see a vendor that could beat NewEgg's prices that I felt comfortable ordering from.

They also have an excellent product review system, which helps in making decisions between similar items. (Look for stuff with a high number of reviews and a high rating.) Unlike B&H, NewEgg's review system is VERY heavily used.
08-25-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you really want to learn about SD cards you should visit the Secure Digital Assn website

Home - SD Card Association

Too techie for me but there is some usefull references if you have the time to weed through all the tehno stuff.