Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
bumbag for cycling.

Going to cover a triathlon and basically be carrying an 18-55/75-300/Flash and 50mm.

Motorbikes are out so the next best thing is a bicycle.

any recommendations for bumbags? preferably water-resistant.

08-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I carry my camera kit (K200D, 18-55mm kit lens, 50-200mm telephoto, small PAS) in a rack trunk. Showed how in "Journeys with a Pentax K200D DSLR: Outfitting a Rack Trunk to Carry Camera Gear." When I'm hiking, I use a hip pack/bum bag. I put each component into heavy-duty ziplock bags, and just tuck them into the bag with a couple bandannas for additional padding. You could do the same with the pack buckled around your waist as you ride, with the pack in the small of your back. Just be careful getting onto and off the bike so you don't smack the camera gear into the saddle.
08-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

REI carries the MountianSmith Tour FX and when I've looked at it I thought it was pretty nice. Most reviews say you need the harness system with it for it to work well. From trying it on, I would agree as its center of gravity is pretty high. The high center of gravity is actually a good thing if you are actually doing something active however.

Thank you
Russell
08-17-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Check out the ThinkTank Speed Demon.

08-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
Banned

I'm able to carry my K-x, 16-45 and 55-300 in a lowepro inverse 200AW. It has enough room for the camera with a lens and a few accessories. I've done hot centuries on my fixie and forgotten that it was on my back. It's nice to be able to stop, spin it around and grab the camera and shoot.
08-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I've done hot centuries on my fixie and forgotten that it was on my back.
With or without a camera on your back, much respect!

To the OP, I'd consider a messenger bag with padding. It will provide fast access to your gear. Be sure to get one with the extra strap though, as it helps prevent the bag from swinging around while you are on the bike.
08-18-2010, 04:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I'm able to carry my K-x, 16-45 and 55-300 in a lowepro inverse 200AW. It has enough room for the camera with a lens and a few accessories. I've done hot centuries on my fixie and forgotten that it was on my back. It's nice to be able to stop, spin it around and grab the camera and shoot.
Thanks for mentioning this bag, Vaughn. It looks like a great way to haul gear when hiking, too.

Centuries on a fixie? Well done!

08-21-2010, 06:01 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Thanks for mentioning this bag, Vaughn. It looks like a great way to haul gear when hiking, too.

Centuries on a fixie? Well done!
+2 on Inverse for biking and hiking.

Lowepro Off Trail 1 is also worth a look as it is now inexpensive on eBay.

The old style Photo Runner has also become very inexpensive and is a viable alternative.

woof!