Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HDMI in K7

I'm wondering if anyone here is using the K-7 with something like these HDMI to USB converters. USB to HDMI: add HDMI to any Computer

I want to tether my K-7 via HDMI, and then run into my laptop or 10" tablet's usb ports. Has anyone tried doing this?

The adapters are bus powered, so i could just use my tablet, cable, camera & adapter without AC power and this would be great on occasions. (especially for landscapes etc)

I'm wondering why nobody has tried?

08-25-2010, 10:35 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
There's no support for that. HDMI carries a video signal so all you can do is run the HDMI to a monitor that will take the place of the rear screen of the camera. Also, I do not believe the adapter you reference has any way of receiving HDMI, only of transmitting. Theoretically it could function two ways, but it's unlikely they developed the driver for that.
08-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kxr4trids Quote
There's no support for that. HDMI carries a video signal so all you can do is run the HDMI to a monitor that will take the place of the rear screen of the camera. Also, I do not believe the adapter you reference has any way of receiving HDMI, only of transmitting. Theoretically it could function two ways, but it's unlikely they developed the driver for that.
The adapter is to run into my tablets USB port, which adds HDMI.

That should work, as the HDMI is cabled to the adapter. But i'm looking for people who have tried it, I cannot see a reason why it wouldn't work.

Not sure why you believe it won't?
08-26-2010, 05:52 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
The adapter is to run into my tablets USB port, which adds HDMI.

That should work, as the HDMI is cabled to the adapter. But i'm looking for people who have tried it, I cannot see a reason why it wouldn't work.

Not sure why you believe it won't?
Because displaying video and capturing it are two completely different functions. In theory if you had a fast enough computer the device could do both (it's all software based anyway), but that would require a lot more work and money, as in addition to developing the software, the device would have to be HDCP compliant. In addition, because it is limited to 720p, it would be even less appealing. Basically it's a $150 turd. I would suggest contacting the manufacturer to verify it will fulfill your requirements before purchasing.

08-26-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kxr4trids Quote
Because displaying video and capturing it are two completely different functions. In theory if you had a fast enough computer the device could do both (it's all software based anyway), but that would require a lot more work and money, as in addition to developing the software, the device would have to be HDCP compliant. In addition, because it is limited to 720p, it would be even less appealing. Basically it's a $150 turd. I would suggest contacting the manufacturer to verify it will fulfill your requirements before purchasing.
It doesn't have to be HDCP compliant, it's using the exact same methods that i use my K7 for to plug into my HDMI in on my 50" Plasma. Of course i can copy my own Videocameras output, there is no need for copy protection.

I plan to use my 10" tablet, or 15" laptop, both of which have USB, and HDMI output, but no input.. The USB to HDMI adapter does exactly that, it plugs the HDMI cable from my K7 into the USB port, than any Video editing application will treat it as a Camera in. At the moment, if i used a analogue USB TV tuner with AV IN i could use that, but i want HDMI connection, which is what those converter boxes do.

Anyway just thought someone else may already be using a particular one, I will give it a go myself. There are plenty of device that already do what you say, like Blackmagic devices.

Blackmagic Design: Intensity

But they are not bus powered, and thus not portable, for which i'm after, but they work fine with the K-7 to record directly from LiveView.

So i think you may be confused, BTW manufacturer obviously assures me it will work, every YouTube video makes me think it will too, and why does the BlackMagic work fine for me then? Sorry but perhaps only comment on things you have actual working knowledge of, but i do appreciate the warning and thoughts.

What do you think these adapters are for then?

I also only want to do 720p, because I'm using a K-7! Anyone else ever done anything like this?

Last edited by Freak; 08-26-2010 at 07:15 PM.
08-29-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I plan to use my 10" tablet, or 15" laptop, both of which have USB, and HDMI output, but no input.. The USB to HDMI adapter does exactly that, it plugs the HDMI cable from my K7 into the USB port, than any Video editing application will treat it as a Camera in. At the moment, if i used a analogue USB TV tuner with AV IN i could use that, but i want HDMI connection, which is what those converter boxes do.
The page you linked to with the "Grandtec USB to HDMI" and "Atlona USB to HDMI with Audio Adapter" shows two devices "to display the computer’s output on your TV." (That is a quote from the page.) Do not confuse the ability to plug a cable in (HDMI being male to male on either end of the cable allows you to physically plug HDMI devices in all sorts of ways) with meaning that a device such as those Grandtec and Atlona devices as being bi-directional input and output devices, because they are not, they go one way - they output your computer display to an HDMI display device, they do not digitize input.

Anyway just thought someone else may already be using a particular one, I will give it a go myself. There are plenty of device that already do what you say, like Blackmagic devices.

Blackmagic Design: Intensity

But they are not bus powered, and thus not portable, for which i'm after, but they work fine with the K-7 to record directly from LiveView.
The Blackmagic Design Intensity web page links to their product Brochure which says, "Intensity Shuttle powers from the USB 3.0 connection so you don’t need cumbersome power supplies." I'm not sure where you got the idea that it isn't bus powered. (Note however that it is a USB 3.0 device, and will not work on a computer that does not have USB 3.0, which is a relatively new standard and unlikely to be on your computers.)

Also note that the Blackmagic design device has both inputs and outputs - in the brochure it states, "you can plug inline with your cables because input connections are on one side, and output connections on the other!"

So i think you may be confused, BTW manufacturer obviously assures me it will work, every YouTube video makes me think it will too, and why does the BlackMagic work fine for me then? Sorry but perhaps only comment on things you have actual working knowledge of, but i do appreciate the warning and thoughts.
Which manufacturer informed you of what, exactly? The web pages you linked to are clear in what each devices does. You received poor product information if someone you spoke two contradicted what their product info states.

On the swelldirect.com page it says, "...you need a way to display the computer’s output on your TV. Many computers still do not include HDMI outputs, but we have a solution for you: the USB to HDMI adapter"

On the Blackmagic Design page it says, "Intensity lets you capture and playback in the most incredible quality of HDMI and component analog video in both SD and HD."

What do you think these adapters are for then?

I also only want to do 720p, because I'm using a K-7! Anyone else ever done anything like this?
They are different adapters. If you truly want an HDMI input solution, you can use the Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle to do that, but you will need a system that has the new USB 3.0 standard (USB 2.0 will not be enough since there is about a 10x difference is performance between the two). Do not get the "Grandtec USB to HDMI" and "Atlona USB to HDMI with Audio Adapter" type of adapter, those are for outputting video from your computer to an HDMI display.