Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Cold Weather Gloves

Anyone have any ideas? I'd like to spend less than 50, and have them be suitable for a full day snowboarding in mild weather and to be dexterous enough to maintain full control of my camera and zippers on the camera bag ect.

I'm sure I can't be the only one who has encountered this situation

So far my Dakine stingyrays are almost what I'm looking for, but the fat thumbs can be clumsy on the controls

These were more along the lines of what I'm looking for but with all the specialized photo gear out there I wouldn't be surprised if someone made some specific cold weather camera gloves

08-30-2010, 05:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
One good option is to get gloves made in two parts : outer shell and inner, slim gloves. I've seen gloves with this design before (even at Costco). That's the best solution, I think.
08-30-2010, 07:46 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used a pair in NE Minn, that had fingers tips, to the first knuckle, bare and a covering over to keep my fingers warm when doing other things than using my camera. But I don't remember where I bought them.

The link below shows some that are similar to what I had:

http://www.gloves-online.com/proddetail.php?prod=FH-1121

Last edited by photolady95; 08-30-2010 at 07:51 AM.
08-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Work outside as electrician, best Ive used are GI wool, very tight fitting, great dexterity
pick them up at camp supply here, poly liners works well with them too, ultimate are silk liners

08-30-2010, 06:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Try hunting outfitters like Cabelas, Gander Mountain, or Bass Pro Shops. What you are needing is what hunters need also. I just use my hunting gloves when I'm out in that type of weather because they work well. I've seen them in a wide variety of colors also.
08-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What you get really depends on how cold it is. When I lived in Alaska I wore down mittens and took my hands out for less than 30 seconds at a time. Then I had silk thin gloves. Silk is probably the warmest for a given thickness. Hard to find though.

There are shooting gloves made that allow you to pull your index finger out. Should work for shutter shooting, too.

I wear thin polypro gloves with windproof fleece over, I remove the outer glove when shooting. The windproof fleece is adequately water resistant for most snow.
08-30-2010, 09:36 PM   #7

I actually have the Seirus All Weather Gloves. Being totally windproof thin/medium thickness neoprene, they're wonderful for being daily gloves. But they're only mediocre as far as shooting gloves go. The thumbs are just a bit too padded to accurately hit all the buttons. I've managed to get it to work most of the time, but I still hit wrong buttons on occasion. However, the rest of the glove is perfect. The index finger was totally fine for shutter button and stuff on top, and so was my left had for MF.

As far as I've noticed, it's only the thumb that requires much dexterity. That's the one pressing all the little buttons.

On that particular glove, I ended up sewing a new seam midway up the thumb and cutting the rest of the rubber stuff off, leaving a 100% neoprene thumb. Vastly improved feeling.

08-31-2010, 01:43 AM   #8
Forum Member

I have used cycling gloves,from BBB at temperatures below -10 celzius and strong wind on a hike. Just a quick search BBB Winter Gloves 10% Off RRP
08-31-2010, 05:03 AM   #9

Second the two-part solution. A pair of waterproof, wind resistant shell gloves with a light fleece lining, and a pair of lightweight polypropylene/silk/merino wool liners. That way you never have exposed skin and retain full dexterity for the moments that you need it. (Its worth carrying a spair pair of liners in case you manage to get them wet - they don't take up any space and they're good for when its just at that level when you can't decide whether to glove-up or not!)
08-31-2010, 05:19 AM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

I KNOW, TEACHER! I KNOW! PICK ME! PICK ME!

Many moons ago, I had a job where I had to wear an actual New York police uniform, albeit with a different insignia, and the police supply places sell the warmest gloves that offer the most dexterity--because cops have to write tickets, as well as pull triggers in cold weather.

(Yeah, nowadays they use little portable computers for tickets, but they still pull triggers.)

This link has a few links, but there are a ton of online stores that sell police equipment:

Police Duty Gloves
08-31-2010, 05:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies so far

Looking at the solutions so far, as well as doing some of my own research....

A liner/shell situation isn't ideal, I've tired it before simply for warmth purposes but I'm a snowboarder and I've found that I really use my gloves, for one reason or another my hands are always in the snow so I'd need something waterproof at all times more or less

I will definitely look into tactical and hunting gloves, that's a great idea that never occurred to me

I also came across those free hands gloves, turns out the company Freehands' has a whole line of gloves with convertible index fingers and thumbs for great prices, but it looks to be somewhat of a rinky dink operation

The last thing I found, which seems to be nice, but expensive, is the specialized solution I knew there had to be, are these: Winter gloves for photographers – The POW Photog » Dan Carr Photography - Photography Product Reviews + Ski, Snowboard and adventure photography tips

They really seem no better than the other solutions though, if only they were a shell
08-31-2010, 05:49 AM   #12

Might be worth checking out the Ironclad range of gloves. Generally made for trade work and things requiring decent dexterity.
https://www.ironclad.com/
09-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I picked up the All Weather gloves that I linked, they're alright. The padding on the top is angled the wrong way for using the shutter, and the thumb is too big to use the controls on the back with any degree of accuracy, but last time I was out snowboarding I preset all those just used the shooting controls, if I need to use the D-Pad I could easily swap hands and use one of my fingers to do the controls

I think I'm going to keep them because they are quite warm and they just passed the 10 second freezing water faucet test with flying colors, since I'm going to be relying on them as my primary gloves, their performance as that should really come first
09-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #14
Pentaxian

When I'm skiing with my camera I generally take my gloves off to take some shots. Thin gloves and skiing aren't a good mix. I can fire the shutter button with my regular gloves but not much else. I might add that I don't ski with my camera all day. I go up and take my picture shooting run and the camera goes back in the truck. If I'm shooting for a long period of time, like a halfpipe competition, I use a pair of polarfleece gloves which I can use the controls on the camera and provide enough protection that my fingertips don't get too frozen. The OP mentioned mild days. Mild days are usually wet days, something else to consider. A snowboarder's gloves are more likely to get wet than a skier's
09-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found my old super nice Marmot shell gloves so now a shell liner situation is more plausible, I'm going to go to REI tomorrow and try out some other options, I'm not thrilled with the All Weather gloves

if I can find a good pair of liners I might go for it, but I really really really want to find a pair of gloves I can wear all day and not have to take off...I'll go to some sporting goods stores and look at shooting gloves as well