Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lost Base Plate For Manfrotto Head

After throwing the tripod into the trunk of a recent car rental...not using it at all during the vacation...I now notice a week later that I lost the camera base plate which locks into the head.

It's a Manfrotto 128RC fluid video head, which does double duty for my son's digicam.

I am about to explore their website to see the cost of a replacement piece, but these aren't standard configurations at all, correct? And I'm going to have to pay through the nose for a new one?

And based on the head's original price--don't remember but I think only about $75--is it possible that it makes more sense to just dump it and buy a new head?

Last edited by Ira; 08-30-2010 at 02:38 PM.
08-30-2010, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
You should be able to pick one up for less than $2o:

Manfrotto 200PL-14 Rectangular Quick Release Plate 200PL-14 -
08-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Groundloop Quote
You should be able to pick one up for less than $2o:

Manfrotto 200PL-14 Rectangular Quick Release Plate 200PL-14 -
You're a Saint.

THANKS!
08-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #4

No worries. Just be sure you get the 200PL-14. The 200PL-38 is the exact same plate (so it will fit in your 128RC), but has a 3/8" screw.

Last edited by Groundloop; 08-30-2010 at 02:23 PM. Reason: spelling
08-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Groundloop Quote
No worries. Just be sure you get the 200PL-14. The 200PL-38 is the exact same plate (so it will fit in your 128RC), but has a 3/8" screw.
Already ordered, and thanks again--I knew about the difference in the screw size:

I have a 16mm K3 cine camera with a 3/8" socket, and had to order the 1/4" to 3/8" adapter back when.

Good thing I did, since I've shot zero feet on the K3 since I bought it.

I didn't know you could get this stuff from B&H, and thought you had to deal with the manufacturer.
08-30-2010, 05:06 PM   #6

For years and years (not the case anymore), Bogen marketed Manfrotto equipment under the Bogen name ("Before Lester Bogen puts his name on a tripod, he puts Lester Bogen on a tripod"), so a lot of US photographers (not saying this is the case with you Ira), think that Manfrotto is 2nd tier equipment with spotty distribution. When I worked in retail my colleagues and I came up with a cross reference guide, so that when US shooters would call or come into the store looking for a Bogen xxxx, we could figure out the Manfrotto part number. Anyway, if you've got a half decent brick and mortar store in your area, you should be able to find Manfrotto gear.

Glad I was able to help.
08-30-2010, 06:09 PM   #7

I must be weird. I "permanently" attach the quick release plates to my cameras and scopes. I'm guessing 15 bucks must be the standard price for that Manfrotto quick release plate, since I just picked that same one up at a local camera store last weekend.

08-31-2010, 05:22 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dasuhu Quote
I must be weird. I "permanently" attach the quick release plates to my cameras and scopes. I'm guessing 15 bucks must be the standard price for that Manfrotto quick release plate, since I just picked that same one up at a local camera store last weekend.
My son uses the same tripod for his digicam.

If I wasn't unemployed, I guess I would have ordered two.
09-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I think I'm about to embark on yet ANOTHER wonderful UPS adventure:

Paid extra for it to arrive today. Tracking information from early this morning said, "Out for Delivery." It's 7:30PM now, and no package. Half hour ago, UPS truck stops in front of a house across the street from me, goes to that house, but not here.

I sense trouble, and since my wife paid for it, I keep hocking her ("hocking" is Yiddish for "bothering") to keep checking the UPS status via her initial email shipping notification to make sure it doesn't show up as delivered.

I hate these guys. I don't TRUST these guys. And I'm at the point of never purchasing anything from anyone who only ships via them.

It's a stupid little thing that could have been shipped via regular mail Tuesday from NY, and I would have had it in Florida YESTERDAY via regular USPS.

UPS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
09-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I think I'm about to embark on yet ANOTHER wonderful UPS adventure:

Paid extra for it to arrive today. Tracking information from early this morning said, "Out for Delivery." It's 7:30PM now, and no package. Half hour ago, UPS truck stops in front of a house across the street from me, goes to that house, but not here.

I sense trouble, and since my wife paid for it, I keep hocking her ("hocking" is Yiddish for "bothering") to keep checking the UPS status via her initial email shipping notification to make sure it doesn't show up as delivered.

I hate these guys. I don't TRUST these guys. And I'm at the point of never purchasing anything from anyone who only ships via them.

It's a stupid little thing that could have been shipped via regular mail Tuesday from NY, and I would have had it in Florida YESTERDAY via regular USPS.

UPS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed. I'll choose any other delivery method including dog sled and pony express before the Untraceable Parcel Service, and I long ago decided to not do business with retailers that only use UPS.

It's a wonder (to me) that UPS is still in business.

Has the plate shown up yet?
09-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It didn't arrive Friday, when it was supposed to and was what I paid for.

It didn't arrive Saturday, because UPS doesn't deliver Saturday.

It didn't arrive Monday, because that was Labor Day.

And it arrived Tuesday, because.........

I live in a 2-unit duplex, and the shipping label didn't say "N" (for north) as I indicated when I made the order. Forget the fact that me and my neighbor both have our names on our mailboxes, and my neighbor and wife both get TONS of UPS deliveries.

So when I saw the UPS guy making the delivery on Tuesday, I asked, "What the hell happened?" And he said, "The original shipping label didn't have the unit number, so we had to print out the label with the unit number. And I didn't do this route Friday, so I don't know what to tell you."

UPS--drop dead, okay? I've had it with you all of you a-holes.
09-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Hate to say it but I've heard the same stories about FedEx and the US Mail.

But, Ira, in your case I would agree they are retarded. However, even if the address makes sense in the real world, if it does not come up correctly in the database, you get the dreaded "delivery exception".