Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 04:00 AM   #1

M42 to K mount adapter covers/shortcuts DSLR contact?

I'm interested to buy an adaptor from M42 to K mount in order to use it on a Pentax DSLR. I'm not able to find in my town directly the adapter to check it in advance, so there is something which bothers me: a metal M42 adapter(which drives electricity) will shortcut the contacts on my DSLR? Is there a problem?

Background: on some on-line shop forum from my country, someone posted a comment(for a non Pentax genuine adapter), that he had to ensure that the DSLR body mount contacts had to be covered with some tape, to avoid shortcut made by the adapter. Now, it's strange for me that I cannot find any other reference to such problems with any knid of M42 to k mount adaptex, Pentax made or third party made...

Last edited by DrRzvn; 08-31-2010 at 04:47 AM.
08-31-2010, 05:26 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It doesn't short them out, but you can use aluminum tape on the base of the lens to accomplish that, and to take advantage of Catch-In Focus.
08-31-2010, 05:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lets look at all the issues with M42 adaptors so you understand exactly what happens on a DSLR

First of all, there are 2 different styles of M42 adaptors, those called "flanged" adaptors and those without flanges (i.e. origonal style pentax adaptors)

Flanged adaptors are cheap, and have provision for the lens locking pin, but space thelens out away from the camera body by 0.8mm, which upsets the infinity focus. This can be adjusted on some lenses but not all can be set to retain infinity focus.

Flanged adaptors will short out all th epins to th elens mount. This is OK and is no different than pentax K mount lenses, and the camera design accepts this. in fact shorting the contacts, specifically pins 1, 2, 4, 5, & 6 is how the lens coding for maximum and minimum aperture is done. Shorting pin 3 tells the camera the lens has an A setting, and this is why that specific pin is recessed on the camera body.

Similairly shorting pin 7 tells the camera that the lens is manual focus, and allows the focus confirmation to work.

Pin 7 is a multi use pin, which also conveys the lens ID and focusing distance, focal length etc from the lens to the body

Non flanged or flush mount adaptors mount flus to the body mount surface and do not interfere with the infinity focus but also do not obviously touch the contacts, and not all M42 lenses have wide enough bases or conducting bases to short pin 7 so in most instances focus confirmation is also lost.
08-31-2010, 07:35 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you!

Thank you for your feddback!

08-31-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Good info from Lowell! Here's a little more: Shorting the pins is *completely* safe. Some of those flanged adapters are painted black; they will NOT short the pins unless you file the paint off in the 6-o'clock area. I've scraped all mine, so I can use Catch-In-Focus. And I use CIF a LOT. The following is all about preparing for CIF:

I know of *no* M42 lens that shorts the pins when wearing a flangeless (infinity focus) adapter. At least, none of my 55+ M42's do. Many of us employ cheap metallic tape, gummed on one side -- cut a strip, stick it to the 6-o'clock area of the lens, add the adapter, mount on camera, shoot.

WARNING: Do NOT put metallic tape on a painted flanged adapter to short the pins! File off the paint instead. Adding tape WILL make the adapter jam on the camera. This also applies to cheap painted PK macro rings.

Ah, but metallic tape doesn't work with all screwmount lenses, 'cause many have bases too narrow to reach the pins anyway. One trick is to get qa bit of tinfoil under the adapter, shoved down over the pins. But tinfoil easily blows away, and doesn't always work either. Bother.
09-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #6

just got my first m42 (helios 44M) and was curious about something... is it okay to back out the 6 o'clock screw 1/16th of an inch to short it out? i can say it shorts it out fine... any issues going forward ya'll think?
09-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

No, don't do that. The backed off screw could foul on the contacts, and possibly the auto focus drive, when the lens was rotated as you mounted and unmounted it.

The easy way is to get some sticky aluminium tape, scrounge some off a heating engineer, and cut a small crescent which you stick on the back of the lens - or scape the paint off in the same area.

The idea is to connect the pins on the camera electrically.

This is how I do my 44-M and this bit of tape has been on there for months now, and I use this lens a lot.

09-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #8

What is the point in shorting the contacts?
My K10d confirms focus with all 7 m42 lenses I own, using a flangeless adapter.
09-06-2010, 05:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It's not for focus confirmation, it's for focus trap. ( catch in focus - trap in focus )

There's a good description of the technique somewhere in the 'Soviet Lenses Club' topic, somewhere towards the last third of the thread I think.
But a search will also throw up some information.
09-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you!

Thank you for all advices! Meanwhile, I've searched deeply on internet and found even on wikipedia a good description of pentax mounts. I feel kind of silly, that I didn't do that before!
09-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DrRzvn Quote
Thank you for all advices! Meanwhile, I've searched deeply on internet and found even on wikipedia a good description of pentax mounts. I feel kind of silly, that I didn't do that before!
I would trust the guys here a lot more than I would trust Wikipedia:

Basically, they have no lives, unlike myself, and they spend every waking hour of their days learning about these lenses. I, on the other hand, dedicate my life to loving my wife and children and catering to their every whim and desire.

HAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously:

Wikipedia is drek ("drek" is Yiddish for crap) compared to pentaxforums.com

I use all manual lenses (see my sig), but don't use catch focus at all, so this all rolls off my back until I'm ready to do it.
09-07-2010, 08:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wish I could remember who posted this a year or two ago - it seemed so elegant though I've yet to make one myself. Essentially, get some fairly heavy gauge copper wire and bend it to shape, it goes around the M42 lens in a way that shorts the contacts but doesn't interfere with infinity.
09-07-2010, 09:10 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Then you have lenses like my Jupiter-9 that have a painted base but also work with catch-in focus. I was surprised until I put an ohmmeter on the base...conductive paint

Steve
09-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Then you have lenses like my Jupiter-9 that have a painted base but also work with catch-in focus. I was surprised until I put an ohmmeter on the base...conductive paint

Steve
Don't lick the lens, the paint is probably 99% lead and you'll go insane.
01-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm having a problem with the Jupiter-9 and the original Pentax adapter on the K-x. When using live view, it terminates itself as soon as I'm turning the focus ring. The only way I found to keep live view going is by jamming a piece of paper between the lens and the adapter contacts. I don't have this problem with any of my other M42 lenses, supposedly because they don't short out the contacts. Is there another way I can prevent this from happening with the Jupiter-9?