Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
360FGZ or 540FGZ for a K10D

The time is rapidly drawing near when I need to start shopping for a flash to go with my K10D Camera. Call me hard readed but I think I really prefer a Pentax brand flash to an after-market Sigma or other. I want the P-TTL feature. Most of my flash shots will be at family parties in a relative's home, but occasionally I will need the power to reach out a little further. The new 200FGZ (name?) is cute and convieniently small, but hasn't got the reach. The in Camera flash is OK close, but my Sigma 17-70 almost always casts a shadow.
That leaves the 360 or the 540 FGZ units. I know the street price of the 540 is about twice that of the 360 and don't want to take that into consideration here. I think the 360 may be powerful enough for me but I've read a few comments that talk about functioning problems with the P-TTL. I haven't heard that about the 540. I'm a little concerned that the 540 may be too powerful for those in home party shots.
Please help me make a decission here. Which flash would you recommend, and why?
Thanks,
Brian

08-29-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

There is no "too powerful" of flash as you can dial down the flash output. Besides the higher guide number, the 540 rotates as well as bounces, which means you have more options for directional light (like off a wall instead of ceiing), and can "bounce" when in portrait orientation.
08-29-2007, 05:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

i have the 540. love it. dont know if they can all go wireless but i use it like that all of the time. i might get a smaller 360 or whatever for a better on camera controller.

the 540 simply kicks ass in my opinion. i shelled out 400 for it and im broke all the time. it just comes down to your goals. me?...im starting a business so im going for the best. when my school loans come in, im probably getting the new 50-135 even though im broke. why?...its a good investment.

if the only reason for getting the flash is for family parties, dont overspend. get the small flash and put the rest into your family or whatever.
08-29-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you have the $$$ for the 540 you should get it. If there is one thing I hate about me is that if I settle for less than what I want it always haunts me and then I wind up buying what I really wanted anyway. Its a nicer flash and you can be sure that you'll never agonize over whether or not you should have bought the less expensive one with less features.

08-30-2007, 07:07 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
I think the 360 may be powerful enough for me but I've read a few comments that talk about functioning problems with the P-TTL. I haven't heard that about the 540. I'm a little concerned that the 540 may be too powerful for those in home party shots.
I don't use flash very much, but I do need it on occasion for indoor family snapshots and for some close-up photography. I have the AF-360FGZ and it works well with my K10D. I have not experienced any "functioning problems with the P-TTL." It is generally reliable and meters correctly. I did have some exposure issues once when using direct flash in a dark room, trying to balance the exposure of the subjects very close to me against very dark red walls and ceiling. Some fiddling with flash exposure compensation gave me acceptable exposures. But that was a very extreme situation and the only time I had any issues when running in full auto mode.

The AF-360FGZ does everything I need. It is especially good in close-up use with the wireless function. I can position the flash exactly where I need it. For the routine family snapshots, I bounce it off the ceiling and it works perfectly. For my modest needs, the 540 would be overkill and I prefer the smaller size of the 360.
08-30-2007, 12:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

i need a backup/controller flash to add to my lighting for wedding receptions.

so i went to the camera shop and priced the 360 and checked it out.

i had to say...i dont like it
it locks so you have to hit the button every time you move it.
which might not be that often anyway because you can only swing it vertically. so it only going to bounce off of ceilings in landscape orientation, and only off of walls in portrait orientation.

there is no DC connection, so i wouldnt be able to hook it up to a battery pack ( i know you dont need that for family outings but its info so what the hey)

the guide number is 100 (the 540's GN is 148 or something like that...1.48times more power)
EDIT: when i went shopping i knew the gn was 54, then someone tole me it was different...i dont know...i got screwed up about it...but the GN of the 540 if 54 not 148. and the GN of the 360 is lower...sorry for the error

after doing some shopping and comparing,
i would suggest getting the 540 way ahead of getting the 360.
its like 150 more. i dont know your budget...but im a broke college student and i would spring for it. in fact i AM going to when its time to get the backup/remote/controller for work.

i think that your recreational shooting will be more enjoyable with the 540. it is more versitle, more powerful, more connectible....its worth it.

i also believe that with the 360 you may feel a little limited because of the lack of a horizontal swing.
the power isnt much of an issue because you can turn it up a couple of stops, but it is still something to consider.

so,
since you asked for it. there is my full advice.

shop for yourself and take yourself into consideration.

have fun and good luck

Last edited by MJB DIGITAL; 09-01-2007 at 10:56 PM. Reason: got bad info...got messed up about it
09-01-2007, 06:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
The time is rapidly drawing near when I need to start shopping for a flash to go with my K10D Camera. Call me hard readed but I think I really prefer a Pentax brand flash to an after-market Sigma or other. I want the P-TTL feature.
Brian
You don't have a flash that works on the K10 unless you have support for the
P-TTL, or want to figure guide numbers for a manual flash.

Since the flash units onlly put out as much light as needed you have have too big.

That said, I've had an AF330FTZ for some years now (as well as other flash units). The new Pttl is somewhat simlar in power and my observation is this.
Unlike the older units these things have their own zoom in them and pre supposing that when you want to shoot a distance you will be using
a zoom lens or a stronger prime the effective range of the 330 which is now a 360 is quite amazing.

I fairly often get drafted to photograph official events at our church. To me there is something wrong about taking pictures in church and it bothers me, but since I'm not asked if I want to, I do it---as unobtusively as possible.
This means I'm not in the front row however.

In year past I used a 100 mm Pentax A macro for the task switching to a short prime when necessary, and more recently I've used a Pentax FA 24-90 zoom. Of course, if I can get control of the church lighting I turn every light on the platform on and do it available light, but if I can't get away with that,
I've used the AF330FTZ in recent years and a Vivitar manual flash with a manual zoom before that, and take a position in the side Asile about half way back.----bar enough back that the 100 mm macro gave the right framing
for the occasion.--- My secret--- in the film days---fast film -- now its called crank up the ISO. Getting a 100 foot range isn't that big a deal
with the 330 if you are willing to crank up the ISO a ways.----ISO 800 is my favorite.

While there is a time and a place for the biggest flash on the planet, and night sports photography may be one of those occasions, I've made do with
the smaller size just fine. I too have to face buying a G series flash
and haven't quite made a final decision as to which one, but if I end up with the bigger one---it won't be because of the brute force of it---it will be because of other features.

While the 330 lacked some features (such as bounce flash), the 360 comes very close to meeting the 540 g series feature for feature and is a much lighter unit. Having had my old vivitar 285 break a flash mount off of a Pentax ME for me, I am conscious of weight, and I see the extra weight of the larger unit as a Major negative (380g. vs 270g.)

09-02-2007, 12:45 AM   #8

Flash 540

Iīve got the AF540FGZ. Itīs fast reloading and powerful even distances about 20 meters and can point any directions x-ept downwards hehe
09-02-2007, 11:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

hey photoguy, have you ever turned your camera upside down for a pic?

8)