Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2010, 07:23 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good off-camera studio strobe lighting kits? portable... recommendations?

Ive mucked about with some studio lighting recently, some damn nice stuff too, but wondered if anyone had any recommendations for some okay strobe lighting kits.

i dont necessarily need ultra-high powered Bowers, but would prefer a 3-strobe kit and with soft boxes rather than umbrellas, that works the same way as the Bowers and need to be able to get them all in a bag too as i plan to move them round a bit.

i had spotted a great set at my local photographic store, on consignment, that had a huge battery pack for those times when you are outdoors and nowhere near a power outlet, but didnt snap it up quick enough (a A$4000 kit for A$1000 used and in decent condition) so that got me thinking, but i daresay thats more expensive generally too...?

Anyway, the lighting kits ive seen around in shops in australia are stupidly expensive, so if anyone knows of any good kits/shops/ebay site, feel free to point me in the right direction.

thanks in advance!

09-01-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Strobe Kits

Midwest Photo Exchange (mpex.com) has kits from beginner up to $$$. Not "studio" quality, but can be used as such, IMO. Good quality, good pricies.
09-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How much do you want to spend, how often will you use it, and for what will you use it?

If I did more studio work, I'd definitely drop a grand or two on some alien bees. However, since I don't make my living off my lens and only use umbrellas and stands a few times a year, I'm sticking with my half dozen hot-shoe strobes for a while.