Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looking for Recommendations on a Tripod/Head that will hold a fairly heavy load?

Everyone,

I currently have what I felt was a fairly heavy duty tripod to handle larger loads, it's a Vanguard B-200 Tracker tripod and a SBH-200 head. It seems to be well made and not to heavy for not being carbon fiber.

When trying to use my Sigma 50-500 and even the Sigma 100-300 and the K-7 I have a great deal of difficulty getting the head to stay in place. It keeps moving due to the weight. It's not bad if it's straight on for landscape shots but if its at any type of angle forget it.

I'm trying to get floral for the downside and then birding for the upside.

Can anyone make some recommendations that would work without breaking the bank? I also have a K-20, so I need to make sure it will hold the body as well.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks....

09-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Breaking the bank" is relative, and can be limiting.
I find Manfrotto 475B with 3047 head to be fairly good and solid combination.

I also find the JobuDesign BlackWidow pro Gimbal head to perform very well with heavier loads.
Easy to balance lens and camera combination, cost a lot thou.

Cheers, Mike.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 09-02-2010 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Proofreader quit.
09-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestion. Very true on the breaking the bank....I have no problem with spending money on a quality item, but I don't think that I need to purchase the most expensive either. It's just that there are so many models in the marketplace and I was hoping that someone might have a similar setup and could make a recommendation.
09-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
tripod head

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
"Breaking the bank" is relative, and can be limiting.
I find Manfrotto 475B with 3047 head to fairly good and solid combination.

I also find the JobuDesign BlackWidow pro Gimbal head to perform very well with heavier loads.
Easy to balance lens and camera combination, cost a lot thou.

Cheers, Mike.
I'm assuming the head is a Manfrotto as well?? I can't find it on B&H? Have you had this awhile and maybe it's been replaced by a different model?

Thanks

09-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Acratech Ultimate ballhead I'd recommend. I used it for years with Bigma & the Bigma tripod handle will slide into the standard Swiss Arca mount. Great for hiking & easy to clean. Manfrottos have their own proprietary mount. You'll keep it forever, don't go cheap on such a critical tool.

M
09-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stl09 Quote
I'm assuming the head is a Manfrotto as well?? I can't find it on B&H? Have you had this awhile and maybe it's been replaced by a different model?

Thanks
Yes, Manfrotto. And sorry, that is the old number, it is now 229. Yes, not cheap or light but very solid construction.
I do find the head little stiff with light loads.
As far as the Jobu BWGP gimball, it is extreme in build.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553888-REG/Manfrotto_229_229_Super_Pro_Head.html

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 09-02-2010 at 03:56 PM.
09-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I took this out last weekend on the coast fitted with a heavu duty Bogen head.

It was windy(300ft up) and it was the first time(ever) I didn't see any movement at 500+mm with liveview zoomed to the maximum. No shakes, no jitters etc. The only problem with this, is that it takes a level of commitment to lug around with you. I pulled mine 1.5km up a rock trail mountain to use it. But I think it was worth it.

Another review of the head(included) here: http://www.cinema5d.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=17391

I'm most likely going to order a second one(for4 backup and start using it for landscape also.

09-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 229 comes with a $50.00 visa card right now at B&H.
Manfrotto 229 Super Pro Head - Supports 26.5 lbs (12kg) 229 -
09-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Personally I would just spend money on a gimbal head for use with the legs and keep the other head for your lighter lenses. If what you have is acra compatible, you might be able to simply go with a Sidekick or Sidekick like gimbal.

Thank you
Russell
09-03-2010, 01:42 AM   #10
Inactive Account

After trying quite a few different ball heads on my tripod, the best I found is
the Triopo B-3 ball head.rn,and so cheap

Triopo B-3 Ball Head-Supports 12KG-
09-03-2010, 02:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by qysusan Quote
After trying quite a few different ball heads on my tripod, the best I found is
the Triopo B-3 ball head.rn,and so cheap

Triopo B-3 Ball Head-Supports 12KG-
To get an idea of of where you are coming from, what others did you try?

Thank you
Russell
09-03-2010, 04:54 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is JOBU on older Bogen 3036 legs.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:51 PM.
09-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stl09 Quote
I currently have what I felt was a fairly heavy duty tripod to handle larger loads, it's a Vanguard B-200 Tracker tripod and a SBH-200 head.

When trying to use my Sigma 50-500 and even the Sigma 100-300 and the K-7 I have a great deal of difficulty getting the head to stay in place. It keeps moving due to the weight. It's not bad if it's straight on for landscape shots but if its at any type of angle forget it.
It took me a little bit to understand how to use a head with a tensioner as I had never used one before. Bear with me as I explain what I have found works as I think I need to explain it to ask if that is how you are currently setting up the head. I tighten the main knob until the head locks with the lens, then adjust the tensioner to be as tight as the main knob, but backing off the tensioner a little, very little from full tight. On my head this can be as little as 5-10 degrees. At this point I loosen the main knob and see if the tensioner will allow the head to gently move, but hold, when the head is positioned, tilted, toward its side, but not actually on the edge of the head. If not, I tighten the main knob and back off the tensioner and repeat. Once the tensioner side is smooth, I will tighten the main knob enough so that when the lens is positioned toward it, it still moves, but holds when released. This should allow the head to glide to, and then hold, at any position at the top of the head.

Without an elliptical ball, even with the fine adjustment done for the top of the head, moving the lens into the slot will probably not hold with a heavy lens, but since the tensioner is pretty well set, it should only take a little more tension on the main knob to hold the lens in place, very little, when moving the lens into the slot.

So if you are doing this and still the lens won't hold in the slot, then you probably need a new head. If not, practice a little with the head to see if you can get to a really good balance between tensioner and main knob at the top of the head. Then see if the lens will glide and hold in the slot with a little bit more tension. I prefer to have the tension optimized for use at the top of the head and then add the little tension when in the slot, versus having the tension set for the slot. This just makes it easier to work with the setup without having to apply what seems like too much force when the lens is on the top of head. An elliptical ball would probably be the better solution, but at the time bought, elliptical balls were way over my budget.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 09-09-2010 at 10:44 AM.
09-04-2010, 04:48 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The problem described here is common to all tripod heads except gimball heads which have the rotation at the center of mass so that they do not need to be tightened to stay put.

I use monfretto 468 ball heads and they seem to be fine but I don't have a lens like a bigma with most of the mass forward of the tripod mount
09-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You might want to give this article a look.
Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan
The guy's attitude is that ultimately you will want the best camera support you can get and that buying the best stuff up front will save a lot of money in the long run. I don't know if all of us will need the kind of head and tripod that he recommends but the article has some good info. Soon after I read it I saw a used Acratech Ultimate Ball Head for half price and I bought it. It is a step up from the Manfrotto head I was using.