Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2010, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Bulb blower

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

If I don't have a rocket blower in my bag, I will have a big glob of something in every shot, without fail. As the Rocket blower I bought is a bit large, I have taken to pulling the nozzle out of the bulb and turning it around in the bulb to make it a little more compact for transport. The issue with this, of coarse, is when you want to use it, you have to put it back together, and that can be a pain when you are working out of a bag. I finally decided it was time to find a better solution.

I started with a cheap $3 Ebay Blower.

There are three parts to the front of the blower. By arranging the nozzle in the rear of the plug instead of the front, the nozzle becomes more compact, making the overall bulb more compact.

The nozzle backwards in the plug.

Doing this I noticed I could push the nozzle in and out of the bulb. The only issue being that I could push the nozzle completely into the bulb if I wasn't careful. To prevent this, I added a gaffers tape brake to the top of the nozzle.

Pulling the nozzle out of the bulb for use.

So this is the size advantage for transport. The ebay bulb is smaller to begin with and with the nozzle collapsed, it is smaller still.

So far there haven't been any issues with this, so I'm pretty happy with it. I need to find a small flat hard case to store the bulb in so that it is as compact as possible. I've tried a Velcro tie wrap around the bulb to keep it deflated, and that kind of works, but I really would like the whole thing to be flat instead of bunched up. I should also note that the bulb is still usable when it the collapsed position. I can just grab it to quickly blow off a filter or lens without having to extend the nozzle.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 09-10-2010 at 05:46 AM.
09-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice DIY idea! Should this be moved to the articles section?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-11-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Very nice DIY idea! Should this be moved to the articles section?
Thanks, simple idea though. If you are asking me, I have no idea what your mission with the article section is, so I don't really know. If it fits in with what you think goes there, then sure. If not, I won't take offense.

Thank you
Russell
09-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Forum Member

Great idea, Russell!

(and I never would have found it in the articles section. Perhaps I need to go over there more often. )

09-12-2010, 07:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah, I've got a blower more or less just like that, it came from one of those Ritz close-out sales in that semi-generic packaging. I thought the lack of fins might be handy, as well. (I think one that has them would be nice for my desk, though: less escapey. )

As for making it more compact in your bag, how about some kind of clip or clamp, instead of a case? (I keep wanting to think there was some kind of hair-clip that I once had, ...can't quite picture it, but it was ridiculously-strong...) Or, how about a film-hanging clip?
09-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
As for making it more compact in your bag, how about some kind of clip or clamp, instead of a case? (I keep wanting to think there was some kind of hair-clip that I once had, ...can't quite picture it, but it was ridiculously-strong...) Or, how about a film-hanging clip?
That's a great idea, thank you.

Thank you
Russell