Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking for a camera bag

I've begun looking around at various sites (B&H, CordCamera, Overstock, Amazon etc) and I am trying to find a shoulder bag that can carry two slr camera (a digital and a film camera) and at lease two lenses and other items like film.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm not wanting to spend a LOT on a bag. Right now I am just looking at prices.

thanks

09-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Consider taking a look at Think Tank. I'm using a shoulder or messenger bag that carrys two dslr's with lens attached with room to bring yet another lens or lenses depending upon size. They have a number of different sizes I choose to go with the 60.
09-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Naneu has some great offerings also, but they can be a bit on the spendy side depending on what you want.
09-11-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What is A LOT?

I spent 100 bucks on my Incase DSLR sling and thought it was too much until I realized how important high quality bags are, it fit two dslrs with lenses attached, but then was pretty hard up for space after that, another lens and a flash was about all it could fit after the two dslrs with lenses

09-12-2010, 07:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Depends, too, if those cameras have grips/drives on them. (If they don't, then there are tons of options)

Especially if you like the grips and winders, well, If you don't mind it looking like an old school camera bag, there seem to be plenty of like Lowepro Nova series out there on Ebay quite reasonably: they're basically just like traditional camera bags, but a little more compact, and they lack the side pockets that some might use for tons of film: instead they have stretchy ones that are convenient for like your cell phone or whatever other doodads you might want to put there. (You could get a few cans of film in there, sure enough, in a pinch.)

Basically, it's good quality for the money, if they're still there. One of those sellers seems to carry lots of the line, new-old stock and present releases (or maybe 'last year's model') I think I've paid like fourty-to fifty dollars tops for some of these. The only real drawback is they're pretty obvious, but I have a penchant for wanting those grips and winders for steadiness, and generally don't carry too many big lenses, so I can make a surprisingly-compact arrangement even so.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 09-12-2010 at 07:35 AM.
09-12-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is one area where it pays to go to the local camera store, rather than shop online. I've gotten a collection of nice camera bags online I don't use often. Several of the bags that looked good online and were recommended by people I respect just didn't work for my bodies and my body.

The last time I bought a bag I drove to the store and spent an hour trying them out with the actual equipment I would be carrying in them. Everything fits and I can reach it, even though it was a bag I would not have considered from seeing it online or reading some of the comments.
09-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
What is A LOT?

I spent 100 bucks on my Incase DSLR sling and thought it was too much until I realized how important high quality bags are, it fit two dslrs with lenses attached, but then was pretty hard up for space after that, another lens and a flash was about all it could fit after the two dslrs with lenses
I spent ~$250 on my backpack from Naneu and don't regret doing it for a moment. I agree a quality bag is a worthy investment to protect a very expensive investment in camera gear.

09-12-2010, 09:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by opiet70 Quote
I spent ~$250 on my backpack from Naneu and don't regret doing it for a moment. I agree a quality bag is a worthy investment to protect a very expensive investment in camera gear.
yeah I don't necessitate that nice of a bag but I don't skimp anymore, I've since sold that Incase one (it was a little impractical) and now have Burton zoom pack and a Lowepro toploader zoom 50 AW, which are far nicer than the cheap crap alternatives I initially considered

I went back and forth on the Incase sling for about a month since it was my first bag, but now I don't hesitate to buy good protection, rain covers fit that category too (which reminds me I have to get one for my Kx....*runs to amazon*)
09-12-2010, 07:08 PM   #9

Original Poster
I really dont want to spend more than 100 on a bag. I went and bought a camera bag that holds one camera for like 40 bucks and I like at the moment, but I want to start carrying both of my cameras to my classes and for everyday use.

I'm not sure if the cameras have grips/drives on them. The cameras I got are a Pentax Spotmatic 35mm Film Camera (which I had to replace because the light meter broke on me) and a Sony Alpha 230 digital camera. I got 3 lenses for the Pentax (a zoom lens, a wide angle and a normal one) and for the Sony I got just the one lens with it.

I hope this helps.
09-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I love my Kata Sensitivity V bag. It's excellent; had it for a few years and don't anticipate needing another one.
09-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
I love my Kata Sensitivity V bag. It's excellent; had it for a few years and don't anticipate needing another one.
I had a look at the Sensitivity but it seemed a tight squeeze if I was taking the "ful kit" and nowhere for a tripod.

The Kata DR series looks like good value DR4651 , 466i, 467i around $75-80 at B&H

Kata stuff is well made. I have a waist pack and an also shoulder pack, but for hiking & travelling (with a work laptop as well) I am look at the DR467i.

I cant compare first hand with Naneu or Thinkthink which is excellent build by all reports, but significantly more spendy as was mentioned before.
09-13-2010, 04:34 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This website has a ton of information on bags.

CAMBAGS.COM Camera bag review resource for Canon and Nikon D-slr cameras

Tim
09-13-2010, 05:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Look a the Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400 aw. $100. Also comes in smaller and larger sizes. I swear by mine.
09-13-2010, 06:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
I had a look at the Sensitivity but it seemed a tight squeeze if I was taking the "ful kit" and nowhere for a tripod.

The Kata DR series looks like good value DR4651 , 466i, 467i around $75-80 at B&H

Kata stuff is well made. I have a waist pack and an also shoulder pack, but for hiking & travelling (with a work laptop as well) I am look at the DR467i.

I cant compare first hand with Naneu or Thinkthink which is excellent build by all reports, but significantly more spendy as was mentioned before.
It is probably the protection and the system (which prevents more depth), but I find that the Kata bags in general have less space inside than it would appear. I have two waist packs which I like, but I can only get one body into them.
09-13-2010, 06:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by srpickel Quote
I really dont want to spend more than 100 on a bag. I went and bought a camera bag that holds one camera for like 40 bucks and I like at the moment, but I want to start carrying both of my cameras to my classes and for everyday use.

I'm not sure if the cameras have grips/drives on them. The cameras I got are a Pentax Spotmatic 35mm Film Camera (which I had to replace because the light meter broke on me) and a Sony Alpha 230 digital camera. I got 3 lenses for the Pentax (a zoom lens, a wide angle and a normal one) and for the Sony I got just the one lens with it.

I hope this helps.
Ah, sure. I think those will leave you with a lot of options. The concern about battery grips and drives/winders is that they make camera bodies rather taller than they otherwise would be, which sometimes can make them a tough fit in slimmer bags with certain lenses. With those cameras, I think you'll find you have lots of choices. Your Sony having just the one lens simplifies logistics, considering you're carrying two separate systems: all that needs is a place to live, and most of your Spottie lenses are probably small.

(I'd guess the un-specified zoom will be something around an 80-200 type: if it's a particularly large or long lens in physical size, you'll want to account for that: all you need to be sure of is that your biggest lens has a home, and that you can put that lens somewhere with the camera mounted:this can be the same slot or not. Everything else should be more or less straightforward. )

My choice for you would probably be a slimmer messenger/satchel style bag: (Or a camera insert in the shoulder-bag of your choice) With a hundred dollar budget, you shouldn't have too much price trouble at all. It's probably good to have room for 'one more thing' at your stage, like a flash or that next lens, (Or a bunch of film: a lot of things are designed for digital these days,) but you really don't need to go too big to hold what you've got.

Gene's right, though: this is one place it's hard to beat a really good-sized brick and mortar store, and just try things on. It's hard to get things just right from online. Spending time on this board sometimes makes me think we ought to just have the Internet get together in person for a big swap meet for bags and tripods and the like.

You should be able to find something easily-enough, though. A decent place to start choosing is with your own personal style: find something that won't stand out too much in your surroundings or against your wardrobe, and pick a size. If you get into this, there'll be more bags, almost guaranteed.