Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2010, 10:31 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Refurbishing old bellows

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Just won some new bellows on ebay; well, actually, won some really old bellows. And that brings up my question: when purchasing old (1950's-60's) bellows, how should one go about cleaning out the inside of the bellows themselves? Is there a recommended spray? Should I try just de-linting it with masking tape?

I'm sure I'm going to want to use this thing as soon as it arrives, it's a kopil folding bellows with tilt and shift. Here's the listing, with a few photos: kopil bellowsmat. I noticed the tilt from these photos but didn't recognize the shift (front and back) until I found a description of "rise and fall front movements":Topica Exacta info. After I read that the dials and knobs for shift became apparent in the ebay photos.

I've also got an enlarger lens and adapters on the way, I'm hoping I can get a wide enough view to do some city shots (buildings, crowds, etc). Maybe I can, maybe not, I'm sure I'll get some great macro shots either way. But the last thing I want to do is dirty up my sensor. I don't think I'll have any problems with cleaning the metal parts (I was a machinist for a few years). But I'd like (hopefully experienced) advice on bellows cleaning.

thanks in advance,
-richard

09-12-2010, 04:45 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
i used a glue that's used to stop fabric tearing. it's flexible and soaks into the fabric of the bellows to make a pva-like film. then just paint at your leisure.
09-12-2010, 06:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A lot will really depend on how fragile the material may have become in that particular case. If I could touch it, I'd probably be able to assess a bit better: when it arrives, just be sure to extend it *slowly* until you know how much flexibility's left. You may be able to tell, yourself, how robust it may be: sometimes they dry out, and sometimes they may just be all stiff from age. With all those movements, I'm guessing they didn't cheap out on the bellows material, so it probably stands a good chance. How's time treated it, is the question.

The photos make it look pretty fresh, and it may even be pretty clean in there. Sure doesn't look like it'll crack at a touch.

Let's see what you end up with.

I've never actually tried this, btw, but I wonder if one of those little static dusters mightn't pick up a lot from inside one of those, or not.
09-16-2010, 04:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have some old (1910-1930) folding cameras that arrived with holy bellows. Let the light shine in! I plied all the edges and creases and other weak spots, inside and outside, with a black goo found in a WalMart crafts section: TULIP SLICK DIMENSIONAL FABRIC PAINT, 4 fl.oz. / 118 ml for about US$3. It's machine washable (the paint, not the bellows). I've cranked those bellows in-and-out quite a bit and haven't had a light leak yet. Oh yeah, before I painting, I extended the bellows and gently swabbed the interior with a (slightly dampened) cheap paint-sponge-on-a-stick, the kind found in 3-packs for one buck. That grabs most dust and debris.

09-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Good quality bellows are surprisingly hardy. The Kopil looks like a quality instrument and the bellows appears to be in excellent condition.

I suggest gently brushing the exterior with a clean, never touched paint, paintbrush. I use one such brush for the exterior of all my photo equipment. (I collect cameras.)

For the interior, which may have a somewhat delicate mesh or fabric lining, I recommend not touching it if possible. Attach your vacuum cleaner hose to the "blow" outlet on the machine and gently blow out any dust. No such attachment? Take a deep breath and blow.
DO NOT TOUCH IT WITH MASKING TAPE or any pressure sensitive material.

Mickey

P.S. If it has been missfolded and some of the pleats are messed up get back to this thread for further information. M.O.
09-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I have some bellows from the 1960 or 70’s and have used them daily over a two month period.

My experience is your sensor may get dust. I purchased an inexpensive rocket blower to periodically clean the camera sensor.

You can also get compressed air in a can (often used to clean computer keyboards) – available at places like best buy or any office supply store. This is not for your camera sensor, but rather to blow out the bellows.

With bellows you will get a sort of blow effect when you extend and contract the bellows. So even with very clean bellows there is still some air moving around that can blow on your sensor.

I have written about bellows and enlarging lenses at this site.

https://sites.google.com/site/inexpensivemacrophotography/

I have found that the longer focal lengths will work for limited non macro work, so make sure to try all of the lenses you have when experimenting with non macro. Also consider using older prime lens on the bellows at a longer focal length.
09-18-2010, 08:23 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
It's in great shape; no cleaning necessary. I blew on it just to be safe... Here are the first few test shots with a $6 beslar 50mm enlarging lens from the thrift shop:

I've got a really nice Schneider 75mm enlarging lens but it's on a Durst mount right now. It can reach infinity if I mount it 'submerged' about 0.7" (verified holding it by hand) so I've got a good excuse to play with the lathe at work for something other than work. With that setup I'll have a fun little tilt/shift 75mm. The 50mm can't get anywhere close to infinity, more like about a foot and a half max, holding it slightly inside the k2000 body. I gave up on it for distance shots after that, but it does make a nice macro lens.

I'm watching that auction site like a hawk now for more 25mm-mount schneider lenses; this one has 15 aperture blades and makes beautiful pics holding it by hand. Can't wait to see what it can do when it's properly mounted.

09-18-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Sounds like you got a great deal, congratulations, these Kopils are rare and sought-after for the extra adjustments.