Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #16
Forum Member

what about this?

SupremeCo

Last edited by pentax user; 10-04-2010 at 11:21 AM.
11-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Obscura Update

Hi - Any update on the Obscura - I was looking at the same bag for a body, 4 lenses, and a flash unit, plus small extras....
11-11-2010, 04:43 AM   #18
Inactive Account

The defining point is the need for hydration bladder storage. Very few photo packs of any type or brand have this afaik. Several from Clik Elite, and few from Lowepro such as the Pro Trekkers and the DryZone Rover.

Taking that and your other needs into consideration, it would seem that the Obscura is a fantastic choice. Looks like it would carry much better during active sports than the Lowepros, and it has a hydration sleeve which the F-stop packs don't have.

I'm currently using a Lowepro Slingshot when my hydration needs are less, and a Camelback Fourteener when a water bottle or 2 isn't going to cut it. I wasn't aware of the Obscura till I saw this post. That pack looks really, really nice for active outdoor use.

Keep us posted!
11-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On our last hike I took the K20d with three Limiteds - 21, 40, 70. The camera hung around my neck the whole time while the two lenses not mounted sat in my cargo pockets. Worked out great:

If you're doing a lot of traveling and don't want to draw a lot of attention, think about the primes. The stealthiest bag in the world isn't going to help when you pull out a monster "look-at-me" zoom.

11-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
If you're doing a lot of traveling and don't want to draw a lot of attention, think about the primes. The stealthiest bag in the world isn't going to help when you pull out a monster "look-at-me" zoom.
I agree with that 100%. My travel kit of a K-x with DA Ltd primes fits all kinds of places--including the smallest PacSafe bag. On my recent trip around Spain, I only saw one other Pentax, but more interestingly, I saw no other prime lens. Many travelers with a DSLR had a zoom around the neck that would anchor a cruise ship. I loved how my camera was ignored.
11-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ben_leg Quote
My goal is to do serious hiking / bike riding in developing country, while carrying my camera.
So I want something that looks like a normal bag... but where my camera is fairly accessible... but not to the point that it will be a security hazard in a crowded setting.
So forget about all those bags that open from the back... forget all the bags that look like camera bag with strap... forget about those 3 in 1 sling bag... etc.

Also i need a bag that is 1/3 camera, 2/3 other things, with place for a hydration bag and occasionally a small laptop.

So after looking at all the options, i was left with 2 options... the Loka from f-Stop (http://fstopgear.com/en/loka) and the Obscura from Clik Elite (http://www.clikelite.com/shop/obscura/).

Both bags are newly released, not available at my locals retaillers... and no reviews are really available on either of them... so i had to make my choice only by looking at the company web sites...

So the bottom line is that because I’m able to grab my camera without having to put the bag on the ground... i went with the Obscura... hopefully it will fit well.... will keep you posted.
ben_leg how did you make out with the Obscura? The Loka looks like nice bag too. I have the original Clikelite Compact Sport. It is the most comfortable bag I have owned. They are real long term carry packs designed properly to distribute wait to the hips.
11-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #22

Original Poster
So here is a quick review of the Obscura
The camera bay is very interesting... what you don’t see on the web site is that it is a telescopic compartment where i could fit my K-7 + 70-200 2.8.... or make the compartment smaller and get more cargo space for none camera items (when i use a smaller lens). Note that you will have to shift things around the bag if you want to change the setting of the camera compartment. Also the opening of the camera bay is a little bite small... so you may have to look at other options if you have anything much bigger that a K-7.

The internal kangourou pouch is also very interesting... you could probably fit 2 big lens and a flag... or 3 small lens.
The hydration compartment is insulated from the rest of the bag.... so very little chance of leaking on your camera

For me, the most interesting thing about this bag is that you could “sling” it to access the camera... but if you always carry you camera around your neck, you don’t really need it. If you are a pathologic lens changer, anyway you will have to put the bag on the ground, so there may be other options for you.... and if your bag is always very heavy, it’s may not be comfortable to “sling” such bag around, so you may want to look for a chest back that will attach to a traditional bag.

Also relative to my good old black diamond back pack (32L)... Click elite made the choice to use a material that is breathable... the drawback of this choice is that the bag is softer... and the shoulder strap tend to twist over if you try to sling the bag too quickly...
Hope this help
Ben

12-04-2010, 02:39 PM   #23

Obscura

So is does the Obscura get all thumbs up? I am wondering if it's the way to go, or if it's best to buy a regular hiking pack, like an Osprey, and a camera insert...
12-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been in search of the ultimate bag for a long time. I have come to the conclusion that I'm more likely to find the actual Holy Grail first. Hysterical I have found several bags the fit a niche but generally speaking, a bag is either too large or too small. I also flinch when a bag starts approaching the price of my bodies or some of my ltd lenses.
12-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I have been in search of the ultimate bag for a long time. I have come to the conclusion that I'm more likely to find the actual Holy Grail first. :Hysterical: I have found several bags the fit a niche but generally speaking, a bag is either too large or too small. I also flinch when a bag starts approaching the price of my bodies or some of my ltd lenses.
+1
I have no fewer than 7 bags and or backpacks and use about 6 of them quite often depending on the situation.....
12-09-2010, 07:01 AM   #26

Hijacking thread, in need of some advice according to the Ultimate Camera Bag. I'm looking for a shoulder bag to hold my k200d w/ batterygrip, Tamron 17-50/2.8, the new 35/2.4 and one upcoming lens/flash. I've got my eyes on the Crumpler Jimmy Bo 600, but the lack of reviews is holding me back, since i don't really no if it can really hold all of my equipment i have at the moment.

Any suggestions or comments?
12-09-2010, 07:45 AM   #27
Inactive Account

obscura review

I did end up purchasing the obscura, I like it, and it can fit 3 lens and a flash in the top, plus enough extras in the upper zip pocket, but my main two issues are the actual camera side pocket is too small, I imagine any SLR with a battery pack will not fit and is is big. Dare I say, that I am using it with a Nikon d300s and I have to shift and push at angles to get it in and out. The soft back takes some getting use to as well. It flops all over itself. I find I am using this as an overnight back, but taking my camera alone with one lens and a flash in pocket for short outings, trying to be more minimalist and for me to work for a shot.
12-12-2010, 09:36 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by ben_leg Quote
Right now I’m using a 30 liters daypack bag and wrap my camera around my sweatshirt... it’s comfortable, but the camera is a little bite hard to reach, and not really practical when I need the sweatshirt.
You might consider replacing the sweatshirt with a dedicated Domke wrap. These are padded sheets with Velcro at the corners so they can be used to protect anything. It'd be a relatively minor and cheap change from what you have now.

I find I am either in camera mode or not. If I am, then the camera is around my neck ready. If not, it's packed away in a rucksack. I don't need to switch between modes that often or frequently, so access isn't a big issue. I'd echo some previous comments about using primes to keep your gear down.
05-12-2011, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #29

Original Poster
Here is a quick update for the Obscura.... after a 2 weeks bike trip, the bag has become very soft (and deformed)... to the point that it's uncomfortable to ware when it’s empty (only the camera)…. And doesn’t offer any support if you carry a heavy load.

Contacted clik elite, and they were not really responsive to my complains (they offer to replace the plastic support… if it was broken… but since it’s a design issue they are simply ignoring my e-mail)

Conclusion: this product doesn’t believer what it’s intended for… and the quest for the perfect hiking solution continues.
05-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #30
Inactive Account

I was able to check out the Obscura and deemed it too "light" in construction for what I wanted. For those times when I'm carrying light in terms of photo gear I continue to use my LowePro Slingshot if water needs are low, or a Camelbak Cloudwalker with a Pacsafe insert when some water would be good to have along. That still left me with a need for a bag that could handle both a decent amount of photo gear and a hydration bladder ...

Luckily for me, I was also able to check out a Clik Elite Medium Nature and it has a much beefier build than the Obscura. So much so that many prospective buyers would probably find it too heavy a bag. Besides that heavier build, the bag also has a much more refined harness system and carries much lighter than one would initially guess - even when full of photo and personal gear and water (there is room for a 70oz. water bladder). While it's a bit big for mountain biking use, it carries so well that it really hasn't been an issue; though I may change my mind on that a bit once the weather here really warms up this summer

For long day hikes and off-trail peak hiking it's been stellar. Now before I sound like a company shill or something, I will say it isn't perfect (then again I don't think anything really is). There are a couple of head scratcher decisions on the company's part. Like camera insert dividers that really don't fit as well as they should: a bit taller than the enclosure, and in one case far too long unless positioned just so. The other is the bladder hose exit hole. I understand a desire to block entry to dirt and water, but getting a Camelbak's bite valve through that opening was a huge pain in the arse. Some type of rubberized fabric or elastic would have been much, much better. Those are the only real nits after a few weeks of use.

For someone looking for a hydration compatible bag that will hold a body with several lenses and/or accessories (including easily stashing a packable tripod on the outside) it's really worth a look. I think the main "issues" with it for many people would be the weight and bulk upon first picking it up, and the very big frustration of finding one to check out before plunking down their cash. Still, I've found it to be a terrific bag that carries much lighter than it's size and weight would have one believe.

Lastly, their Escape also looked like a good option as it carries more water (but less personal gear) and also has the better harness; however, it seems like they are getting a new version ready and I couldn't find a sample to look at and try on.