Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #1

The quest for the ultimate camera bag

Hi
I’m looking for the ultimate camera bag, here are my needs.
I have a Pentax K7 that I’m using most of the time with a sigma 17-70. I also like to carry my sigma 70-200 2.8. I take most of my pictures when I travel or went I do medium/high intensity sports (long bike ride and hiking). Occasionally I will like to be able to carry a small laptop (only when I take the airplane) and a hydration bag. I will also like to have something relative discreet so I won’t attract too much attention when I travel.

Right now I’m using a 30 liters daypack bag and wrap my camera around my sweatshirt... it’s comfortable, but the camera is a little bite hard to reach, and not really practical when I need the sweatshirt.

So I’m hoping to find a bag that is 1/3 camera space and 2/3 for other items, with a good set hips and shoulder straps and a quick access pocket to the camera (i do not want to put the bag on the ground).

So i have been doing some research and it look like the “Probody Sport” of Click Elite is the most interesting. But it’s not available at any of my local retailers, so i can’t really see if it fit my needs.

I’m pretty sure that i could fit my k7 with a 70-200 2.8 mounted on... but I’m not sure if there is any place left in the camera section for my other lens. Also I saw some reviews that were complaining about the ease of getting the camera out of the bag without having to put it on the ground (defeat the purpose of the side pocket).

So I will really appreciate to get your feedback on this bag... or point me to another product that could better fit my needs
Thanks for your help

09-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would give the following link a look. Urban Disguise? 60 - Shoulder Bag - Think Tank

This bag carries an a lot of equipment including a lapotp. The shoulder strap is outstanding and they offer a back pack type strap that will allow the bag be used as a backpack.

I have carried both a K-7 and K-20 with lenses attached with room still for another lens or lenses depending upon the size. They say you are suppose to carry the bodies in the front pockets but I find those pockets more useful for other things. Overall I think this bag is very well made, very well thought out and overall an excellent bag.

good luck on your quest....
09-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stl09 Quote
I would give the following link a look. Urban Disguise? 60 - Shoulder Bag - Think Tank

This bag carries an a lot of equipment including a lapotp. The shoulder strap is outstanding and they offer a back pack type strap that will allow the bag be used as a backpack.

I have carried both a K-7 and K-20 with lenses attached with room still for another lens or lenses depending upon the size. They say you are suppose to carry the bodies in the front pockets but I find those pockets more useful for other things. Overall I think this bag is very well made, very well thought out and overall an excellent bag.

good luck on your quest....
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately i can't really go on a day hike or ride 100km on my bike with a shoulder bag.
09-13-2010, 04:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I currently own the LowePro Fastpack 350. Tons of room, holds a laptop, easy access like a sling bag.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Fastpack-350,2087,14.htm

Here is a great site with tons of information on most camera bags currently available.

CAMBAGS.COM Camera bag review resource for Canon and Nikon D-slr cameras

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 09-13-2010 at 04:55 AM.
09-13-2010, 05:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Look here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/71275-my-...mera-gear.html
09-13-2010, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ben_leg Quote
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately i can't really go on a day hike or ride 100km on my bike with a shoulder bag.
How much time have you spent at the local retailer? I found that packs and slings were especially hard to buy without trying them. Granted, I am 6'3"+, and that may have something to do with it. I've been able to buy smaller bags over the internet, but when it came to larger packs--no joy.

What few web sites can tell you is how that pack fits your back. Camera packs often do not have the adjustments which are standard on a decent pack. Many packs have no waist straps. To get a camera pack with full suspension and adjustment is often quite expensive. I've seen suggestions, with which I now agree, that if you have a pack that works for you, that you look for a liner to replace your sweater, rather than replacing the pack with something that may be inferior for hiking. (While I was posting this, I see Bdery said the same thing)

Finally, I found that sling packs with waist straps can be a much more viable option than they appear without trying one on. (I was a doubter of hikes with slings until I tried and bought one). Still, I am also a cyclist, and I wouldn't ride 100k in that sling or anything that wasn't designed for cycling.

Even if you have to pay more and drive more, get to a store. Buying a pack which you will wear while engaged in some other activity without trying it on is like buying athletic shoes without trying them on.

Last edited by GeneV; 09-13-2010 at 05:27 AM.
09-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
How much time have you spent at the local retailer? I found that packs and slings were especially hard to buy without trying them. Granted, I am 6'3"+, and that may have something to do with it. I've been able to buy smaller bags over the internet, but when it came to larger packs--no joy.

What few web sites can tell you is how that pack fits your back. Camera packs often do not have the adjustments which are standard on a decent pack. Many packs have no waist straps. To get a camera pack with full suspension and adjustment is often quite expensive. I've seen suggestions, with which I now agree, that if you have a pack that works for you, that you look for a liner to replace your sweater, rather than replacing the pack with something that may be inferior for hiking. (While I was posting this, I see Bdery said the same thing)

Finally, I found that sling packs with waist straps can be a much more viable option than they appear without trying one on. (I was a doubter of hikes with slings until I tried and bought one). Still, I am also a cyclist, and I wouldn't ride 100k in that sling or anything that wasn't designed for cycling.

Even if you have to pay more and drive more, get to a store. Buying a pack which you will wear while engaged in some other activity without trying it on is like buying athletic shoes without trying them on.
+1 on all points. I have a LowePro Flipside 400 pack. It's better than I thought it would be, but I've yet to find a camera-specific pack with a harness system as good as my Osprey daypack. On the trail I manage my load by using smaller primes vs. big zooms. And I often have the camera around my neck or over my shoulder with a couple of primes sitting in the cargo pockets of my pants. That way, if a photo moment presents itself, I don't have to stop and take the pack off.

FWIW, I also have a LowePro Stealth Reporter 400. Snugging the waist strap tight takes some of the load off the shoulder. On a motorcycle the load usually rests on the seat behind me. It's also good for a day in the field, but I wouldn't hike or bicycle with it.

09-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Here is an awesome looking company: ø F-Stop // Adventure Photography Camera Packs and Bags - 253.236.0070 ø

they are expensive, but if you are looking for a do all, end all, travel photo adventure bag it looks like they got you covered

this one looks good: Tilopa

I really want one of those bags, but I can make do with my Burton Zoom pack for now
09-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #9

In my ultimate camera bag search, I've narrowed in it down to using a Domke F6 bag for general storage and toting and then generic bags that I add inserts into for specific purpose activities. For hiking I use an Osprey Talon 22 backpack paired with a neoprene lunch bag to carry the my camera + 28-75mm, then a neoprene bottle sleeve to protect my 70-300mm. These can be easy moved around but still kept handy in my bag.

I've also entertained the notion of purchasing a PacSafe camera insert for backpacks. It looks nice but a bit big for my bag. You may find it interesting though.

Good luck in your search!
09-15-2010, 04:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I toyed with the idea of the Pacsafe too, but I find it too tall. I prefered the Domke insert I referred to earlier.
09-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

my favorite bags

Mountainsmith is a very reputable company and they make great outdoor gear. I have one of the lumbar packs and the camera insert if i want to take a bigger bag. it sounds like you need one of the full backpacks to fit your needs. The prices are very reasonable as well. Some of the packs from Lowepro and more well known "camera bag" makers are ridiculously priced if you ask me.
Mountainsmith
Mountainsmith
09-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I have the dakine mission it is not bad, it opens from the back so when you set it down on the ground to open it the part that goes against your back is not on the ground, and the camera block comes out so you can use it as a reg. backpack, it also has a rain cover and it can hold a tripod/snowboard/skateboard

the camera block is 15L
the dakine mission is 25L (with the camera block you have 10L of extra space)
there is also a dakine sequence and it is 33L (18L of extra space)

i am personally kicking my butt i didn't get the sequence
09-25-2010, 11:31 AM   #13

Original Poster
My goal is to do serious hiking / bike riding in developing country, while carrying my camera.
So I want something that looks like a normal bag... but where my camera is fairly accessible... but not to the point that it will be a security hazard in a crowded setting.
So forget about all those bags that open from the back... forget all the bags that look like camera bag with strap... forget about those 3 in 1 sling bag... etc.

Also i need a bag that is 1/3 camera, 2/3 other things, with place for a hydration bag and occasionally a small laptop.

So after looking at all the options, i was left with 2 options... the Loka from f-Stop (http://fstopgear.com/en/loka) and the Obscura from Clik Elite (http://www.clikelite.com/shop/obscura/).

Both bags are newly released, not available at my locals retaillers... and no reviews are really available on either of them... so i had to make my choice only by looking at the company web sites...

So the bottom line is that because I’m able to grab my camera without having to put the bag on the ground... i went with the Obscura... hopefully it will fit well.... will keep you posted.
09-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #14
Forum Member

Heres what I bought recently, Carries more than enough for my needs but as a rule at any time has 2 x bodies, 3 lenses, assortment of filters. spare batteries, sd cards. Also has attachments at to bottom for tying a tripod to.
I travel a lot for work and its always worried me that a dedicated camera bag is a bit too much of a temptation for some people passing by, this bag looks like any sports bag/backpack. Also has side access for quick access to my main camera and the flap for this also has some smaller storage perfect for a couple of filters, cards remote etc. I cant recommend it highly enough and have had on my back for up to 6 hours so far without any aches, rubbing etc.

Cheers
Geoff

http://www.tamrac.com/5550_open_lrg.htm

Last edited by squizzytaylor; 09-25-2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: wrong link posted
09-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #15

I have the lowepro primus, it came closest to what I was looking for which is similar to what you are looking for.

My photo kit, K10 + Kx, 16-50mm,55-300, 31mm,77mm,10-20mm,21mm, tripod, gorillapod for the more voluminous stuff.

side pocket you can put a tripod or water bottle, other side you have a zippable flap to take out the camera though it be hard with a grip (k10 + 55-300mm was fine). Otherwise you can turn the backpack around with the nicely padded waist strap to have quick access. the front open pocket is deep enough for a bladder syster or a laptop (best to have it in a protective case though); There s a mesh pocket as well useful for maps as an example.

The top compartment is big enough to put a netbook (anything over a 10in screen is too big). The load lifter straps do limit ease and speed of access to the top compartment .

I used it for 4 months straight this summer, traveling around the pacific.
I walked, ran, biked, climbed with it.It definitely could be easily improved upon, but out of all the other backpacks this one still meets my needs best, at a very decent price (you can get them for 80-100 dollars).

Forgot to add that with the sliplock system on the waist belt, I can switch lens even faster, or add more stuff (i find the bottle bag and a pouch to be the best combination), which also helps balance the pack. However I do have some trouble getting the backpack to sit right on my hips to suppport the load but it still felt comfortable regardless .

Last edited by davidvcd; 09-25-2010 at 08:47 PM. Reason: additional info