Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2007, 02:01 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
This normal for first time battery use

So far just been messing about witht he K10D working out variouse settings like which goes best with what etc as advice read on previous posts.
Had the Grandson over playing with his jeep and shooting away to find the camera started underexposing and slowing down with its shutter speed so instantaniousely i rememebered a previouse post where this may be an indication to low battery and sure nuff the battery indicater showed halfe level..
Turned camera off and give it a reboot and started to fire away again with mediocre results so turned it off till i charge up the battery again in the morning..
Trouble is ide hardly say ive shot any more than 130 raw images with the batteries first charge..This normal!!???...
Mindya i have been turning the camera on n off going through its various menus looking at different settings , playing around with its White balance etc and halfe the shots fired away have been with flash also..
Do know with some Batteries they take a few charges before they can store a decent Charge ey..
This the same with the Pentax batteries??...
Cheers

09-03-2007, 02:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Can't shed light on the under-exposing, but all 3 of the genuine batteries I have for my K10D have taken over 400 photos on their first charge.
09-03-2007, 09:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Are you using the flash? If so, that number of exposures (130) is about typical, with much longer battery life without the flash (200-400 exposures). A series of longer exposures can also drastically cut battery life (power needed to keep the shutter open, etc).

If that's not it, you said that you've been playing around with the various settings. Did you change something that could impact battery life, such as the backlight, LCD display, shutdown time, display times, or whatever? If so, you may want to rethink those settings. If you don't remember everything you've changed, you could try resetting the camera (a menu option).

Otherwise, make sure the battery is being fully recharged, the contacts are clean, the charger is functioning correctly, and you're using it properly.

Beyond that, I just don't know what the problem might be. My camera always shuts down long before a dead or dying battery causes underexposures and so on.

stewart
09-03-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

also, what card do you have? i was shooting a wedding last night on the k10d and the studio i was shooting for wanted me to shoot on one of their cards.

the card was a generic piece of crap and slowed me down. it even said 150x on it....go figure

09-03-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ide say a good halfe the shots taken so far have been using flash..
Shutdown time if not using the camera is quite quick..
Do run the histgram after each shot and have it set to show clipping though might turn that feature off..
Display time is also quite short and was thinking of running it a tad longer ..
backlight ??nup.....

But as i previousely said i have spent a bit of time going through the menues, white baalnce and Iso testing so might be there ive used the juice up ey???..
Anyhow will give it a charge today and see how many shots i get next time..
It is a genuine battery which came with the camera too..

Talking about batteries..Ive orderd a spare one of ebay via Honkers which i hope ive done the right thing and for the price its worth the test..I think....
And with the istDs i went through four sets of double "AA"'s and if not used in camera within two days they would all go flat just sitting there???..
peeved me off to no end , only good thing about it was that Big Dub exchnaged them no worries..brand witheld for fear of
last time it happened i changed them to Duracel 2650's and the same set has been in camera for yonkers without showing signs of flattening..
Anyone else experience this with "AA"'s???..
Cheers and thanks for the replies ey..
09-03-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Plain alkaline AA batteries are horrible for a DSLR, they don't last long at all, the ones that came with my K110D crapped out after about 25-30 shots if i remember correctly, Bought some rechargeables, and all is well now...
09-03-2007, 11:53 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
These were rechargables..

09-04-2007, 05:23 PM   #8

I'm not sure about the Li-Ion batts on the K10D but my Maha Powerex 2700 Ni-MH (K100D) were pretty low performing on their first charge, netted me about 100 or so shots before turning into marathoners on subsequent charges - I'm over 800 shots and it still says full charged!

I guess unless the charger puts in an initial 'forming' charge, all rechargeables take a couple of charges to get up to speed?
09-06-2007, 09:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If you have more than one battery, try the other one. My personal experience has been that I get amazing life out of the battery, like 1200 photos with little flash use, 800 with 20% flash use and 500-600 with 40% flash use.
09-16-2007, 04:51 PM   #10

Battery life varies with what you do!

I've found that nothing seems to eat up batteries faster than using the LCD screen on the K10D. A few weeks ago I shot more than 300 pics (no on-camera flash use) and did not have to change batteries once! At other times, I too have found that searching through the menus will drastically cut battery life.
09-18-2007, 10:54 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bluesguy Quote
I've found that nothing seems to eat up batteries faster than using the LCD screen on the K10D. A few weeks ago I shot more than 300 pics (no on-camera flash use) and did not have to change batteries once! At other times, I too have found that searching through the menus will drastically cut battery life.
I've had the same experience. Also, most batteries need several charges when new before you get full usage. And yes, my Maha's gradually drain down too.