Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

DIY Hoodman Loupe Mount

I don't have one of the newer cameras with video, but I do have the K20D with live view, so I looked at trying to mount the Hoodman loupe to the camera without having to resort to the wrap around shock cord they use on their official version of a mount. This is what I've come up with so far.

I'm not sure how the camera meters in live view, but I figured I should have the finder cover on the camera when using the camera with my eyeball away from the finder just to be safe. Gaffers tape won't stick to the rubber of the Hoodman or to the silicon of the bracelet, but it will stick to itself and the plastic of the finder cover. I just wrapped tape around the bracelet and tried to use enough little pieces to have the connection to the finder cover be pretty stable. I used the same looped tape idea on the bottom for the Velcro.

I didn't want to mount Velcro to the camera so I mounted a thin strip to the QR plate where is wraps around the bottom of the camera. I first thought about using the lanyard clip on the bottom to clip into the the one around the neck, but thought the clip might get in the way when not using the loupe. I don't really like the Velcro, but unless I can think of something different or someone posts a better idea, I think it I am stuck with it.

Mounting the Hoodman this way is pretty easy, just have the bracelet on the loupe, attach the finder cover first, then attach the Velcro on the bottom. It helps keep the loupe tight on the camera to have the bracelet off the corners of the loupe at the top, and around the corner at the bottom.

I'm not always going to be using the loupe just for live view, and probably only going to be using it to see the LCD screen in bright daylight as intended, but this wasn't hard to do, it is a might as well type of mod.

The only bad thing have to say about the Hoodman is that it is expensive and that there doesn't seem to be a way to get rid of the dust on the thing. The loupe is for a three inch screen but is isn't too larger to be used with the smaller screens of the older cameras. It also isn't too bad when looking at the 230,000 dot screen of the K20D. It probably wold be OK on the newer 921, 000 dot screens.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 09-16-2010 at 05:11 PM.
09-16-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shouldn't this be in the DIY articles section? Please ask a moderator to move it if so
09-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Shouldn't this be in the DIY articles section? Please ask a moderator to move it if so
Is the article section for posting to as in another forum, or it is a knowledge base type of thing? I thought it was a way to quickly find this or that information, sort of a more general, better organized, sticky thread thing, than a forum. If people just start posting this and that to it, it seems like it would lose its appeal?

Thank you
Russell
09-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A couple of synapses kicked off today and I realized that as nothing sticks to the Hoodman but dust, that the way to get the dust off was to use packing tape on the loupe to remove the dust. I'm much happier now that the loupe doesn't look like I dragged it through the Moab.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 09-18-2010 at 08:22 AM.