Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Small Ball Head on Large Tripod Plate

I've been using my old Pentax tripod for years with it's 4 way head and I'm ready for a ball head. So I went to our LCS (local camera shop) and checked out the manfrotto 484 that they had. The major problem was that its diameter was smaller than the bolt circle of the lockdown screws on my tripods top plate or whatever it's called. So I couldn't lock it down. I've just used what I had so I don't know much about the system. Am I missing something or am I stuck with either looking for new legs or getting a larger ball head?

I'm probably going to go with a photo-clam ballhead and eventually get new legs but I'd like to be able to use the head on my current legs for now.

09-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You've already figured it out. You'll need to get a head at least big enough to use the set-screws in your existing tripod. One advantage of a bigger ball is that it will handle more weight and generally operate more smoothly. Disadvantage is higher cost and weight.
09-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hrm. Is the head's base particularly narrow, or is the tripod's plate just really big? (Funny, I don't know if I've ever seen a Pentax tripod, per se.)

There may be an adhesive/gasket-cementey type solution (just a wee dab) that'll sufficiently-dissuade it from coming loose inadvertently, but still let you have the head off with some deliberate pressure.)

I used to have some stuff I'd use occasionally for some things like that, but I'm just not remembering what it was. I'm wanting to say it was like, kind of translucent red stuff. It may have been a thread sealer for bolts in a car's engine block, or something.

If it's worthwhile, and feasible, maybe just having a machine shop put another hole in the tripod's plate for another set screw or two would be worthwhile.
09-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
Banned

Original Poster
It's a BIG base I don't think any of the photoclams would work with it.. It might be cheaper to get new legs rather than buy an expensive large head. RatMagicLady, I think that you are talking about locktite. I guess I could just screw it on as tight as possible until I get different legs.

09-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
It's a BIG base I don't think any of the photoclams would work with it.. It might be cheaper to get new legs rather than buy an expensive large head. RatMagicLady, I think that you are talking about locktite. I guess I could just screw it on as tight as possible until I get different legs.
Yeah, it might be some variant of that. Pretty sure it was syrupy and red, but memory isn't cooperating: I might be confusing one thing for another. If you don't mind it on the threads themselves, Loctite might do the job as originally-intended. I kind of wonder if there mighn't be an adapter plate you could just buy, or have made, for that matter?

I don't actually use any like big-long-heavy stuff or anything, but it seems like it's not a big risk of catastrophe unless you have something with a lot of leverage mounted and carry the tripod on your shoulder or some such.

I wonder, though, if maybe your legs aren't made for a telescope, and if perhaps some telescope-stuff company makes an adapter or something.
09-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
Inactive Account

How about showing us what you're working with? Somehow, I'm not getting exactly what the issue is..

09-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
It may be normal, I've never had a nice tripod with a detachable head. The head shown in the picture has 3 screws to lock down the current 4 way head. If I put on the manfrotto head it sits inside of the diameter of the set screws so they don't do anything. It might be tight enough by itself or I could cut a piece of aluminum the diameter of the base with a hole and us the screws to push it against the new head to hold it tight. Or this is just normal and it's only held on by the screw? Like I've said it's my first good tripod in many years of shooting. It's built like a tank, stable but heavy, and I got it basically free with a bunch of stuff from a pawn shop.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo   
09-22-2010, 07:20 PM   #8
Inactive Account

The 488 head on my tripod is held on simply by the one center screw as is the head (don't know the model) on my monopod (all bogen/manfrotto). You may have to get a thread bushing to mount your 484 on that tripod and you could use the 3 set screws to simply tighten things up.