Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Any time this sort of thread pops up, I feel the need to put in a plug for Feisol. They really are very good tripods.
FWIW, I use a Feisol Tournament and a CB-50D head under my K7 and 60-250, and also my 200 f/4 Macro with no problems.
Neither of these lenses are especially light.
I heard good things about them too, but just can't see anyone who stocks them. I don't think they are easy to find in Australia. Buying tripod from US is a little pointless because most places charge around $100 for shipping to Australia. Not paying that much to ship a tripod worth $200.

Do you know of any online shop that ships to Australia at a reasonable cost?

Thanks

09-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #17
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Coladuna Quote
I know my gear isn't that heavy, but I want this tripod to last many years and who knows what I end up buying. lol
I may be being overly picky because I want this to be future-proof.

I was quite impressed with AT263 actually and it's a lot cheaper than 190XPROB.
You want it to last, then you'll have to pull out a few extra dollars to get the quality you need. No good tripod comes cheap, and I can vouch that as much as the 190 may be overkill for you, it will stand the test of time (and treatment). Tripods aren't like cameras where they become redundant within 6 months of their release, so invest in a robust design, and you won't be disappointed.
09-22-2010, 10:30 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
I went through similar pain a few years ago. The most important thing is getting a tripod. The head you selected is a good one. Our next door neighbors just moved back to Australia and I had no idea it was that expensive to get things shipped there.

My first tripod which I still have and occasionally use is a Marchioni Tiltall that was probably made in the early 1970's. I bought it used on eBay. I used it last 4th of July so I could shoot with two cameras and I used it to take my profile and web picture. I do however, love that new one with the ball head.

Sounds like all the legs you looked at will be fine. Do think about a remote release and using the 2 second delay, you get automatic mirror lock up and you don't have to turn off SR, it does it. I bought a wireless remote from a guy on eBay for about $40, same remote as Adorama at half the price. Lately I find myself using the wired more often, just quicker and easier.

The tripod opens up a whole new bunch of possibilities. I think if I was starting again, I'd buy the tripod, then the lens and then the camera in that order.
Thanks for the tips.
When you say the head I selected is a good one, which one are you referring to?

I do actually have a remoste release, which I bought off eBay a couple of years ago for peanuts. Can't remember now, but I don't think I paid any more than $20 and it works perfectly fine.
I'm now leaning heavily towards the Vanguard. It looks to be just as well built as 190XPROB, cheaper and I can get it from the shops rather than wait for delivery from ebay sellers. I could put it to a good use this weekend as I'm planning to go to a flower festival.
09-23-2010, 07:25 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Coladuna Quote
I heard good things about them too, but just can't see anyone who stocks them. I don't think they are easy to find in Australia. Buying tripod from US is a little pointless because most places charge around $100 for shipping to Australia. Not paying that much to ship a tripod worth $200.

Do you know of any online shop that ships to Australia at a reasonable cost?

Thanks
Pretty much mail order only. I think they are made in Taiwan, which is kinda in your neck of the woods.
Try feisol.com rather than dot net for a website near you.

09-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #20
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought my Manfrotto legs and ball head on eBay from a domestic seller (Melbourne) - I may have just been lucky; there was only one selling at the time, it was at an excellent price and shipped at a reasonable cost
09-24-2010, 04:17 AM   #21

Original Poster
Ok. After much consideration I bought vanguard Alta pro 263at with sbh-100 ball head. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it feels very solid and sturdy. The ball head is rated for 10kg load so I think it should be more than sufficient for my need. It was a close call but the biggest factor was the fact that I could buy it from a local shop rather than waiting 7-14 days for delivery. It should come in handy tomorrow as I'm planning to go to a flower festival.
Thanks for all your input
09-24-2010, 06:04 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I own the 190XDB, and I must say, it's the sweet spot of price, portability and sturdiness. It only weighs 5 pounds, but it can hold nearly 12, and it's an absolute tank.