Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Just received Youngnuo Shipment

YN560 Flash

2x RF602 receivers
1x Trigger

In short, they are bloody amazing value!

And the YN560 is basic/manual only but in terms of build quality is SHITS all over the Pentax 540.

1/128 to 1/1 out settings, relatively easy to use and as I said the unit feels solidly built.

The 540 always to me felt like it was ready to fall apart with the flimsy battery door, noisy zoom motor, flimsy bounce card and wide angle diffuser the YN560 feels totally opposite.

It's closer to a Canon 550EX in design than a cheap chinese flash, the battery door is spring loaded and feels similar to the Metz units, the zoom motor is quiet and smooth even the flash shoe lock is surprisingly decent for the money and once again much better than the 540FGZ.

For $80 Australian I cannot fault it.

Only complain really is the manuals are poorly translated and the flash head tilt/swivel could be tighter and be lockable, but oh well still excellent value.

Pentax should really really consider contracting Youngnuo to manufacture their flashes, one of these units adapted with P-ttl would be a killer.

Last edited by Christopher M.W.T; 09-22-2010 at 08:35 PM.
09-22-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
TAP

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
YN560 Flash

2x RF602 receivers
1x Trigger

In short, they are bloody amazing value!

And the YN560 is basic/manual only but in terms of build quality is SHITS all over the Pentax 540.

1/128 to 1/1 out settings, relatively easy to use and as I said the unit feels solidly built.

The 540 always to me felt like it was ready to fall apart with the flimsy battery door, noisy zoom motor, flimsy bounce card and wide angle diffuser the YN560 feels totally opposite.

It's closer to a Canon 550EX in design than a cheap chinese flash, the battery door is spring loaded and feels similar to the Metz units, the zoom motor is quiet and smooth even the flash shoe lock is surprisingly decent for the money and once again much better than the 540FGZ.

For $80 Australian I cannot fault it.

Only complain really is the manuals are poorly translated and the flash head tilt/swivel could be tighter and be lockable, but oh well still excellent value.

Pentax should really really consider contracting Youngnuo to manufacture their flashes, one of these units adapted with P-ttl would be a killer.
You said $80!?
Am I to assume It is P-TTL?

From what you're saying, it seems I MUST get one!
09-22-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Newbie here, but interested in playing with flashes. I got 540 too, and I do think it's flimsy. Does the YN can be used mounted on the body, or is it only off body?
09-22-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
TAP

QuoteOriginally posted by TAP Quote
You said $80!?
Am I to assume It is P-TTL?

From what you're saying, it seems I MUST get one!
Oops, retracting the P-TTL question, guess I didn't read closely enough

@Aseno: It can be mounted to the body, check out this review of the flash

Yongnuo YN-560 Speedlite Review | Speedlights.net

09-23-2010, 12:42 AM   #5

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Hi Christopher, sounds like your pretty happy with your purchase.
I want to get the same flash and trigger setup myself. Did you get the Canon or Nikon transmitter.
I was also wondering where you purchased yours from and how long it took to arrive. Was it all working properly and how did you go with any customs charges, if any.
Thanks. I have never purchased anything of Ebay or from "OS" so am looking for info on where to get some items from.
09-23-2010, 12:48 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by ozzi-paul Quote
Hi Christopher, sounds like your pretty happy with your purchase.
I want to get the same flash and trigger setup myself. Did you get the Canon or Nikon transmitter.
I was also wondering where you purchased yours from and how long it took to arrive. Was it all working properly and how did you go with any customs charges, if any.
Thanks. I have never purchased anything of Ebay or from "OS" so am looking for info on where to get some items from.
Hi ozzi youcan bring anything under 1000 into Aust with out paying duty. keep under 1000 and you will be ok .
cheers Mark
09-23-2010, 02:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I cant recommend this ebayer more highly enough

eBay My World - jiaxinzhang2010

Excellent communication and relatively fast delivery.

I ordered the Pentax version which includes the RF602 transmitter and receiver then I just ordered a second receiver unit.

I'm pretty impressed I'm going to order at least another YN560, it's just a surprising unit for the money.

Apparently it is actually a knock off/clone of the Canon 580EX in many respect, surely not as solid as the 580EX but as I said feels a helluva lot more solid than the Pentax 540.
09-23-2010, 02:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I should add the only real negative of this unit is the UI, its quirky and odd but as I said for the money show me a better flash.

Reviews on it's power output say it's close in performance to a Nikon SB900.

09-23-2010, 02:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Further update the Yongnuo RF602's work fine up until 1/125 shutter speed where they have an issue syncing, so 1/160 & 1/180 are a hit and miss affair.

I've contacted the seller to see what can be done, but it appears that it maybe the Nikon transmitter would work better going off what I've read. No major issue to be honest, still great value units.
09-23-2010, 02:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Further update

Most reliable sync speed is at 1/125 with absolutely no problems.

1/160 & 1/180 well is hit and miss, some are perfect then others have half the shutter still covering.

Other limitation when shooting with my K-7, continuous shooting at full speed (5.2fps) the whole thing loses sync, once again no biggie, using slow continuous shooting it works fine.

I shot a sequence of 6 shots at 1/180 with the low speed setting, 2 were usable.

Hopefully there is a solution, if not well it's not a big hassle.
09-23-2010, 02:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL
FINAL UPDATE

Problem solved

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/69648-rf-...riggers-3.html

Half pressing down on the manual trigger button on the triggering unit then firing the camera, it sync perfectly at 1/180 lol. The trick is in gaffer type

And ever better I can shoot at 5.2fps continuous at 1/180 and get perfect sync each time

So there you go!
09-23-2010, 06:38 PM   #12

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Thanks for that Christopher, I am thinking of getting the Nikon version with the Canon sync cable, have read that the Nikon version is better suited to the Pentax, its just the cord that fits the Canon fits the Pentax so they sell the Canon version as the one to use with Pentax cameras.
Yeah, I also read about holding the trigger button hald pressed while taking a shot to get full sync speed so thats not really to much of a problem, not at that cheap price anyway.
I also came across another brand that looks ok (Hahnel) and they have the Canon version listed for the Pentax to, probably just because of the PC sync cord to. They are sold at Photo Supplies/Camera House in Oz.
09-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The flash looks promising for off camera work in manual.

It would be nice if one of these were built with an old style auto flash setting with 4 or so aperture values. I do use my Vivitar 285s in manual off camera, but I also often use one of them with a remote sensor cable, which gives me 4 auto aperture values and a light sensor on the camera body with the ability to move the flash up to 3 feet away from the camera on the remote cord and point it in any direction I want.
10-15-2010, 07:09 AM   #14
Inactive Account

testje

Heb deze flitsers getest: Test YN560 flitser

Misschien interessant......
10-15-2010, 04:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've got 3x YN560 flashes, and they're excellent value for money if anyone's looking to get into manual off-camera flash photography for cheap.