Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2007, 05:56 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Saves running around the front of the camera. You can keep taking photos without going back to the camera. You could set the camera up somewhere and take photos whenever you want.

I set the camera up first and focus (just as per self-timer) then go wherever and press the button.

09-26-2007, 06:07 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery
the cheap one should auto focus before taking the picture, as long as the camera is in auto focus mode
when you push the button, it should auto focus, and then take the picture (or wait two seconds if you have the timer on)
that's what mine does anyway

dave
09-26-2007, 08:48 PM   #33

Original Poster
got mine this afternoon and went out shooting with it all night. it works perfect for what i need it for, standing a good 10 feet away (in the dark) down a flight of 15 or so stairs it was firing just fine. :thumbs up:

here's a pic of what came today, seriously it had to have been at LEAST $4.44 for the envelope and postage, i really don't know how they're making ANY money on these.

09-27-2007, 09:24 AM   #34
Forum Member

Granted, I haven't used it much, but my K100d did not focus when I pressed the shutter button; it just snapped a picture immediately. It's possible I mistakenly had it set to MF. I guess I'll try again tonight.

09-27-2007, 09:34 AM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lunelson Quote
Granted, I haven't used it much, but my K100d did not focus when I pressed the shutter button; it just snapped a picture immediately. It's possible I mistakenly had it set to MF. I guess I'll try again tonight.
is having a button for AF even that great of a function, can't focusing be done say....when you are setting up the camera, making sure things are level?
09-27-2007, 11:38 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I posted about this a while back, on a similar thread about remotes. I myself didn't think the original remote was worth $30 dollars, particularly because I found its size a disadvantage. I am sure to lose or break something so small, particularly on the field. The fact that it fits in the grip is great should I want to keep it in there and use it once in a while, not likely in my situation.

Instead of going on ebay and risking an untested remote plus paying more for shipping than the remote itself, I went to a local discount medium-box store (Big Lots) and picked up a small Universal GE remote that worked like a charm. Had it not worked, I would have returned it the same day, perhaps tried another one, without the grief of mailing back items.

In the original thread you can see Strattman's image of how small the remote is, as he took a picture of it laying on his hand.
GE universal remote (RM24948)
Remote code 0256
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/7128-remote-pentax-k10d-3.html

Why this shape and not a flat one like those sold on e-bay? Not ergonomic at all and those bubble buttons will not last with frequent use and abuse. My remote is so ergonomic I don't even have to look at it to figure out which way it goes and which button to press (more than one button works to activate the shutter). Think of shooting in the dead of night, fireworks, moon, other night-time activities .

And since there are no numbers, it doesn't scream TV remote anyway, and even the color scheme matches my K10D

As far as functionality, I have to set the menu option to AF before firing if I want the camera to focus before firing when using the IR remote. When doing fireworks or long exposure I focus manually. The only reason I want AF before firing is when let's say the camera is pointing at a bird-feeder or nest and I want to make sure it AF on the subject as it moves about.

Because the remote uses 2xAAA batteries, it is quite powerful except on very sunny conditions, which is to be expected. I can even bounce off other objects. Also, I use rechargeable AAAs, so no worries about cell batteries that don't last or can't be bought anywhere.

And lastly, the remote has an auto-shutoff feature, should the remote buttons get jammed in your bag, it will shut off the remote and prevent battery drain.
09-27-2007, 01:02 PM   #37

Original Poster
four dollars is four dollars is four dollars

09-28-2007, 01:53 PM   #38
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boosted84wagonmonster Quote
is having a button for AF even that great of a function, can't focusing be done say....when you are setting up the camera, making sure things are level?
Well, specifically I'd like it for self-portraits. And unless I take the place of a dummy or something else, I just have to estimate how far away I'll be from the camera if I don't have autofocus capabilities.
09-28-2007, 03:59 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Just wanted to comment. Got mine, it works. Can trigger shutter in Bulb mode, but it still just open and closes, does not stay open. Maybe I just haven't figured out how yet, so if some other use has figured it out, please share.

As for autofocus, there's a AF for remote option that will AF before every shot, and can be turned on or off. This is true for the K10D atleast...
09-28-2007, 06:26 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AVANT Quote

As for autofocus, there's a AF for remote option that will AF before every shot, and can be turned on or off. This is true for the K10D atleast...
Also on the K100 &110D, go to the "Custom" menu, look for "AF with remote control" set it to 2, and you're set !!
09-28-2007, 07:21 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just wanted to comment. Got mine, it works. Can trigger shutter in Bulb mode, but it still just open and closes, does not stay open. Maybe I just haven't figured out how yet, so if some other use has figured it out, please share.

You should be able to just aim, press, and hold it down as long as needed. If it doesn't hold, then it's possible your remote isn't doing what it's supposed to. If it came with documentation, make sure it is capable of sending the beam for as long as you need it to.
10-01-2007, 02:03 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Cheers mate. Just checked my Ds manual, and that setting is there too in the Custom Settings menu. Cool.
11-11-2007, 11:41 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
too many little gizmos

QuoteOriginally posted by boosted84wagonmonster Quote
seriously...$4.44 is beyond trivial i don't know why anyone would think twice about buying one.
Yeah, but what is worse is that I had to order one and I have the Pentax F remote (fits into the grip I have), I also have a remote that I haven't figured out even how to work yet that I bought off ebay and it came with no directions and a wired remote or two. Ah, I have more little accessories for all my different cameras I need a better organization system to keep track of everything. Go ahead, you can say it, just call me crazy.

11-12-2007, 01:29 AM   #44
Pentaxian

You're crazy.
11-12-2007, 01:02 PM   #45
Inactive Account

Hi all

The following links might be of interest ? This remote is ridiculously inexpensive and can be thoroughly recommended.
Check out these posts.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/84720-post29.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/84728-post30.html

Wireless Shutter Release for Pentax K10D K110D K100D - (eBay item 230156798294 end time Aug-01-07 18:45:04 PDT)

I ordered this one some time ago off E-bay and IMHO it's brilliant ! It works up to 100m or 320' away, has 16 alternative codes to avoid potential interference issues and handles Bulb control without any problem. Trust me on this, it's the best value accessory I've ever purchased and I am simply a VERY satisfied customer !!! Job done....

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 11-12-2007 at 01:09 PM.