Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2007, 11:02 PM   #1

wireless infared remote (good deal inside)

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

just ordered one, SHIPPED for less than five bucks? uhhhhh, yes please!

https://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=2882

it's basic and at less than the cost of a mcnugget meal, you can't go wrong.

09-06-2007, 03:08 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, that sure is cheap. I've been considering buing an IR remote for a while now, and this is by far the cheapest I've seen.
Could you tell us more about the remote when you receive it? (Like size, built quality, and trigger distances)
09-06-2007, 08:28 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PaulF Quote
Yeah, that sure is cheap. I've been considering buing an IR remote for a while now, and this is by far the cheapest I've seen.
Could you tell us more about the remote when you receive it? (Like size, built quality, and trigger distances)
it's definately the cheapest whether on ebay or from a e-company. i expect to post a full review when i get it, with pictures.
09-06-2007, 09:15 AM   #4
roy
Inactive Account

i'd like to hear it also

09-07-2007, 12:36 AM   #5

I bought one similar to this on eBay a while ago for about £5 inc P+P and it works a treat. It never leaves my walkaround bag. The range is good and the angle of coverage is fantastic.

Wireless IR Remote Control for Canon Nikon Pentax DSLR on eBay, Remote Controls, Digital Camera Accessories, Photography (item 150158683127 end time 07-Sep-07 12:15:18 BST)

I imagine this one is pretty similar.
09-07-2007, 02:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. I only just discovered this very one for sale here too, and was thjinking for the price I may give it a go.
09-07-2007, 06:46 PM   #7

Original Poster
seriously...$4.44 is beyond trivial i don't know why anyone would think twice about buying one.

09-07-2007, 07:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

In case anyone didnt know this already, you can use any universal TV remote as a wireless IR remote. I had an extra rca tv remote lying around so it was basically free. All you have to do is use the code search until the shutter goes off and there. Free (or VERY inexpensive) wireless remote. The only downside is that it is a little big, but I wouldn't use a wireless remote outside of home anyways so its ok.
09-08-2007, 04:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Do you think some PDA (Pocket PC) can do it? It seems most of them do not produce strong radio signal to operate TV in distance, but if put it close to camera it might work.
09-08-2007, 05:15 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I don't think it would fit in the battery grip for the K10D. This would be the only shortcoming that I can see. I have grown quite used to the convenience of on camera storage for the remote..

But for that price..you can't go wrong.
09-08-2007, 10:02 PM   #11

hi

i got that same remote off ebay
it's useful, thin and light

the only problem with it is that it doesn't handle bulb exposures
it just takes the picture, so the max exposure you can use is 30 seconds

there's this one from hk, which says it does handle bulb exposures, and it's pretty much the same price (i only saw this after i got the other one, i might still get this one sometime)
Universal Multi Remote Control for Canon/Nikon/Pentax

bonus is if you have a nikon or canon camera, it should work with them too

dave
09-16-2007, 05:18 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just bought one. Had it working over about 15 metres inside (couldn't find a line of sight any longer!). Then went outside, it was a sunny day, and could get about 12 metres. Obviously the sunlight affected the infrared performance. Very small and light and fits in my bag no worries.

Last edited by Arpe; 09-17-2007 at 02:47 AM.
09-16-2007, 07:20 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kthung Quote
In case anyone didnt know this already, you can use any universal TV remote as a wireless IR remote. I had an extra rca tv remote lying around so it was basically free. All you have to do is use the code search until the shutter goes off and there. Free (or VERY inexpensive) wireless remote. The only downside is that it is a little big, but I wouldn't use a wireless remote outside of home anyways so its ok.
seriously, that is amazingly retarded.

it's $4.44!
09-17-2007, 06:52 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by kthung Quote
Original remote for Sony TV does the trick also, if you press Teletext button
09-17-2007, 07:16 AM   #15
Forum Member

I've tried the universal remote "trick" as well, but besides the very obvious problem with the remotes being rather bulky, I found it to be very slow. I had to hold the release button (power in my case) down for several seconds before anything happened.

So, when someone sells a dedicated remote for something lower than $5, I have to agree with boosted84wagonmonster that it's a tad silly to stick to the universal remotes.

boosted84wagonmonster, you received your remote yet? I know that $5 is such a small amount that I should just order the bugger myself blindly, but no reason to give the people money if their product sucks.