Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

190XPROB tripod droop

G'day all,

I have an issue (or a feature) with my 190 with the centre column in horizontal mode. The column will rotate through about ten degrees with the clamp done up at a touch more than finger tight. If less than horizontal the column slides slowly through the clamp.

I have a K10D with a Viv 105mm macro on the end, surely that is not overloading the tripod?

Anyone else have a similar experience?

09-24-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dale Quote
G'day all,

I have an issue (or a feature) with my 190 with the centre column in horizontal mode. The column will rotate through about ten degrees with the clamp done up at a touch more than finger tight. If less than horizontal the column slides slowly through the clamp.

I have a K10D with a Viv 105mm macro on the end, surely that is not overloading the tripod?

Anyone else have a similar experience?
I don't have a 190 but why don't you just torque the clamp tighter? I have two Manfrotto tripods that were bought more than 20 years ago, and they can certainly take good amount of punishment in stride. If you are going to baby your equipment like that what's the point of having a tripod? Surely you must value your camera and lens more than your tripod?

Thanks,
09-24-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, I've had a go at way more than finger tight.

1. When set vertically, the clamp thread feels smooth, and just more than finger tight has the column clamped immovable. No rotation and no creep. I reckon I could sit on the thing and it would not move.

2. Set horizontally the clamp thread feels rough to turn. At way more than finger tight, the grip on the clamp screw is bending under pressure. Column can be slid with a light push with one finger. Still has 10 degrees of slop.

I'd apply a pair of footys (plumbers wrench) but I secretly suspect that a fine piece of Italian engineering should not need such an accessory to make it clamp.

I've had a good look at the clamp design, and cannot see why it will not hold in horizontal.
09-25-2010, 01:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Sorry, if I seemed a bit testy - your initial post came across as someone babying their equipment when in fact there seem to be a serious problem. I don't have one of these horizontal centre column tripod but I can see a definite use for one particularly in macro photography. I have been thinking of fabricating a pseudo centre column that can be mounted on any tripod head, I will check out a hobby shop soon to see if I can pick up some hardware for what I have in mind.

Thanks,

09-25-2010, 02:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Sorry, if I seemed a bit testy - your initial post came across as someone babying their equipment when in fact there seem to be a serious problem. I don't have one of these horizontal centre column tripod but I can see a definite use for one particularly in macro photography. I have been thinking of fabricating a pseudo centre column that can be mounted on any tripod head, I will check out a hobby shop soon to see if I can pick up some hardware for what I have in mind.

Thanks,
No worries!
Your idea sounds interesting.
For what it is worth, I've just rechecked the tripod, and there is something going on inside the clamping device. Depending on how I hold the tripod (and my tongue) the clamp will occasionally lock the column solid. Time for a visit to the shop I think.