Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

RF-602 like: 16 channel 2.4Ghz & AAA in both transmitter and Receiver

http://www.lightingrumours.com/meike-mk-rc7-2-4ghz-flash-trigger-better-than-rf-602s-677

However, Shenzhen-based company Meike has brought out an improved trigger that’s the cheapest 2.4GHz model so far seen on the market. The Meike MK-RC7 “Flash Quick” triggers very much resemble Yongnuo RF-602s in functions, and initial appearance, but offer several key improvements.
  • AAA batteries in the transmitter
  • Bulb and self-timer support when used as a remote shutter release
  • Locking pin on the transmitter foot
  • Universal transmitters for Canon and Nikon
  • Cheaper (see below for where to buy)
Features

• Universal Iso flash trigger with 100 metre range
  • Wakes sleeping flashes on shutter half-press (Canon/Nikon)
  • 6.35/3.5mm cable for studio lights
  • Wireless shutter release with interchangeable camera cables
  • Autofocuses remote cameras on transmitter half-press.
  • Bulb, continuous shooting and self-timer support.
  • 15 channels and 1 “fire all” channel
Specifications

Frequency FSK 2.4 GHz Channels 16 Range 100m (open area) Ports Transmitter Prontor/Compur (PC sync) Receiver Olympus RM-CB1 (Yongnuo 3-pin) Batteries Transmitter 2x 1.5V AAA Receiver 2x 1.5V AAA Dimensions Transmitter 81 x 34 x 28mm Receiver 86 x 35 x 34mm Weight 235g

Flickr: Discussing MK-RC7 vs RF-602 in Strobist.com

Thank you
Russell

09-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting..I just wished they made something specifically for Pentax and not just Canon and Nikon.
10-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Correct me if I'm wrong, but these are wireless triggers and work on any system. They might, however, support remote shutter, which may only work on Canon/Nikon.

They look very interesting with their AAA's in Tx and cheap price.
10-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have been trying to look at these again and having quite an interest rather than on the RF-602.
Does anyone tried these or have any experience with these?

10-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but these are wireless triggers and work on any system. They might, however, support remote shutter, which may only work on Canon/Nikon.
If they're like the RF-602s, then there are two different types of transmitters (Tx), one for Canon, one for Nikon. The difference is due to the different hotshoe pin arrangements, which are required for the wake-up functions on the flashes. You should be able to switch and swap, i.e. Canon Tx on Nikon body, or vice versa, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'd be curious to see what the sync speed these Meike triggers are with the Pentax system though. The RF-602s consistently full sync with Pentax at 1/125th, but at 1/160th and 1/180th, results vary, usually with the shot catching a bit of the trailing shutter curtain. (unless the half-press trick is used). However, from all the reports I have read, the Meike triggers aren't as reliable as the RF-602s; there is an occasional no-fire, whereas with the RF-602s, a lot of people, including myself (I have 1 Canon Tx, 1 Nikon Tx, and 6 Rx), claim 100% reliability.

EDIT: just did a bit of reading, looks like the Meike units have universal Canon/Nikon transmitter units, i.e the same Tx unit can fit Canon or Nikon and still retain the ability to wake-up flashes.
10-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks for the additional info. I would really want the RF-602's if they where 100% compatible with Pentax but as for now, they are only specifically for Canon and Nikon with Pentax doing so-so patches to make it work.
I hope they make one for Pentax soon with the K-x making a lot of sales and I bet with the upcoming K-r and K-5 too!
Maybe all I need to do is wait.
10-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Looks promising. I've been using the RF602's for a while and they do the job, though they are limited to 1/125 x-sync. The transmitter that accepts 2xAAA is a big plus too.

10-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
The RF-602s consistently full sync with Pentax at 1/125th, but at 1/160th and 1/180th, results vary, usually with the shot catching a bit of the trailing shutter curtain. (unless the half-press trick is used).
I documented my troubleshooting w/ this in the RF602 thread.
Pentax doesn't send out half-press the same way as Nikon and if you get the Canon one (they usually sent that because the cables were the same for Pentax's shutter release), it didn't work at all.
The triggers send some data when you half-press to prep it for shutter release. If they never see the half-press, you only get 1/125 sync speeds which is what I experienced.

I went to Radiopopper JrX Studios and have been extremely happy with them. Remote control of flash power makes you incredibly more efficient for location shoots once you try it...
10-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
If they're like the RF-602s, then there are two different types of transmitters (Tx), one for Canon, one for Nikon. The difference is due to the different hotshoe pin arrangements, which are required for the wake-up functions on the flashes. You should be able to switch and swap, i.e. Canon Tx on Nikon body, or vice versa, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'd be curious to see what the sync speed these Meike triggers are with the Pentax system though. The RF-602s consistently full sync with Pentax at 1/125th, but at 1/160th and 1/180th, results vary, usually with the shot catching a bit of the trailing shutter curtain. (unless the half-press trick is used). However, from all the reports I have read, the Meike triggers aren't as reliable as the RF-602s; there is an occasional no-fire, whereas with the RF-602s, a lot of people, including myself (I have 1 Canon Tx, 1 Nikon Tx, and 6 Rx), claim 100% reliability.

EDIT: just did a bit of reading, looks like the Meike units have universal Canon/Nikon transmitter units, i.e the same Tx unit can fit Canon or Nikon and still retain the ability to wake-up flashes.
Thanks for the info. What is the half-press trick?

I'm looking at buying my first strobist budget kit and am deciding between these two (I threw out the Cactus V4's after reading comparisons). I've found the K-x's built-in flash has pathetic P-TTL wireless range. I take it the remote shutter doesn't work for either of these on Pentax?
10-24-2010, 05:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I know the shutter remote release works that is why these two are my options.
I have had an experience with the radio remote shutter release and I love how you don't need to be in the line of sight of the IR nor have to be on the front of the camera in view of the IR.
It won't work on the K-x though since K-x doesn't have the appropriate attachment except for the IR remote capability.
I'm nearly tempted to buy just one of those ordinary remote shutter release if I don' t decide on these two RF-602 and RF-602 lookalike.
10-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Oh, it plugs into the external remote port, that makes sense. Darn.

I have an IR but have no idea how the range is.

So, no pentaxians have tried this? Are the Tx/Rx pins actually different from Nikon/Canon?
10-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Oh, it plugs into the external remote port, that makes sense. Darn.

I have an IR but have no idea how the range is.

So, no pentaxians have tried this? Are the Tx/Rx pins actually different from Nikon/Canon?
I want to try it but the price is now almost the same as the RF-602's.
I want to make a good judgement on this.
10-25-2010, 05:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The half-press trick is to half-press the button on the transmitter, then take the shot. Most people tend to use some tape to hold the button down in the half-pressed position.
10-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Does the wake-up flash work for the Pentax systems with flashes where you can't turn off the timers?
10-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I'm looking at buying my first strobist budget kit and am deciding between these two (I threw out the Cactus V4's after reading comparisons). I've found the K-x's built-in flash has pathetic P-TTL wireless range. I take it the remote shutter doesn't work for either of these on Pentax?
I hadn't read anything bad about the Cactus V4s, and for the price, I jumped on them. I was shooting in one room, and just following the groomsmen around. By the time I was across the house and downstairs, I could still hear the reset beep on my strobes going off upstair after each shot. I've never had a misfire.