Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Overloading Tripod and head?

Hello everyone, I use a Manfrotto 055xprob tripod and a Manfrotto 488rc2 Midi ball head. I am using my K20D with battery grip and Pentax DA*300 using catch in focus. I am finding I am still getting slightly blurred photos.
I am attaching a photo that was taken today.

This was taken with a shutter speed of 4000. Any suggestions of what I might be doing wrong? Maybe like I said before. Am I overloading the tripod and head?

Thanks
jim

10-02-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Silly question: Have you calibrated your autofocus with the lens and camera? 1/4000 speed would not result in blurry pictures.
10-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
did you turn off the SR?
10-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are using catch in focus, so you are taking the exposure when an objects passes through the focus trap. You would not want to use a 2 second mirror delay in this case due to the induced latency. Thus, you will have a bit of vibration from the mirror. That and luke's question about SR being disabled, is the only thing I can see.

10-02-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not acquainted with the head but I do have the same legs and certainly think they're up to the job.
10-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VF-19 Quote
Silly question: Have you calibrated your autofocus with the lens and camera? 1/4000 speed would not result in blurry pictures.
No I haven't calibrated my camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
did you turn off the SR?
Hello Luke, no I didn't turn off SR. Will that make a difference?

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
You are using catch in focus, so you are taking the exposure when an objects passes through the focus trap. You would not want to use a 2 second mirror delay in this case due to the induced latency. Thus, you will have a bit of vibration from the mirror. That and luke's question about SR being disabled, is the only thing I can see.

I was hoping I could lock the mirror up, then it dawned on me that that only happens with the 3 second shutter delay. So of course that wouldn't help some my problem I am having.

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I'm not acquainted with the head but I do have the same legs and certainly think they're up to the job.
Thanks Dave I will keep looking to see if I can find more info on the head.

Thank you everyone for your help on this.

Thanks
Jim
10-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Turn off the SR when you are using the tripod, give that a try

10-03-2010, 06:19 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
Turn off the SR when you are using the tripod, give that a try
Absolutely! I think you'll see a marked improvement.
10-03-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
Raylon

And FYI, SR, when there is no movement, actually causes movement by trying to search for movement. Weird I know but it does it.
10-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I want to tell everyone thank you for your help on this. I think SR was my problem. Here is my test shot from today without the SR on.

I think it came out a lot better than the one from yesterday.

Thank you
Jim
10-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
I think it came out a lot better than the one from yesterday.
Are you a cop? Just curious because it seems like you are hiding behind signs.
10-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad you got it resolved Jim!

One thing of note: an exception for SR being enabled while on a tripod would be when using a longer (eg. 500-600mm) lens and the head/tripod is primarily functioning as a support system but the lens/camera can still move freely. In that instance, you would be using your hands, etc. to move the camera/lens around to compose/focus on the target (eg. wildlife) and dampen lens movement to some degree.

In other words, if the tripod head is locked down, etc., then SR would definitely be set to the off position - the reasons as already indicated by a few people. I hope that made sense? If not, let me know and I'll try to re-phrase it.

Regards,
Marc
10-04-2010, 05:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Are you a cop? Just curious because it seems like you are hiding behind signs.
No Dave, I'm not a cop. But when ever I was out in the open everybody and I mean everybody was slowing way done. So I thought if I get behind some cover I shouldn't be detected as easy. And that solved the problem of everyone slowing down too much.

Thanks
Jim
10-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Glad you got it resolved Jim!

One thing of note: an exception for SR being enabled while on a tripod would be when using a longer (eg. 500-600mm) lens and the head/tripod is primarily functioning as a support system but the lens/camera can still move freely. In that instance, you would be using your hands, etc. to move the camera/lens around to compose/focus on the target (eg. wildlife) and dampen lens movement to some degree.

In other words, if the tripod head is locked down, etc., then SR would definitely be set to the off position - the reasons as already indicated by a few people. I hope that made sense? If not, let me know and I'll try to re-phrase it.

Regards,
Marc
Hello Marc, how are you doing? If I am understanding you right. If I have the head locked down totally then I should have the SR off. If I am rotating the head side to side I should have the SR on. Am I understanding you correctly. Great to hear from you again Marc.

Thanks
Jim
10-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Hello Marc, how are you doing? If I am understanding you right. If I have the head locked down totally then I should have the SR off. If I am rotating the head side to side I should have the SR on. Am I understanding you correctly. Great to hear from you again Marc.

Thanks
Jim
Hi Jim, doing OK and hope all is well!

My statement is made from the reference of being able to move the lens from side to side, but also up/down. However, that's move indicative of a gimbal style head, not a ball head. I am guessing it may be a single pan head, but it's hard to confirm.

That being said, I suspect you'll have some play on the Y axis (up/down), but very little if any on the X axis (horizontal). I'd suggest you try some test shots to see. Otherwise if there is X axis play and it freely moves when not locked down, SR may be a consideration.

Cheers,
Marc