Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2007, 12:27 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Energizer e2 lithium batteries for K100

Couldn't find any previous threads to answer my question.

At the beginning of June, I purchased a set of energizer e2 lithiums for my K100D. I was impressed to find that they were still going strong 3 months later. I also thought they must be wonder batteries because my battery indicator info on the LCD panel ALWAYS showed full charge. That is, until yesterday when I took a few shots and got a "battery depleted" message. That's it, no warning. Just done. I was able to squeeze off a few more shots after shutting the camera down a few times.
My questions are, why isn't the indicator working? Is that typical for this type of battery or is it perhaps a camera glitch? Do I have to now just keep track of how many photos I've taken and expect them to die at around a few hundred shots?
I almost never use flash, my LCD is set to turn off after 5 seconds and I would guess that I take around 500 shots in 3 months. I usually rename my photos after editing, so I no longer have the original number of my shots. Is there a way I can retrieve that from the EXIF data?

Any help or advice is appreciated!
Cheers,

09-09-2007, 01:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

My understanding is that lithium batteries will work great right up until the end of their life, and then they just die. So what you are describing would not seem to be unusual to me. I would just always carry a backup set of batteries with you because you will not get much warning......

I put in a set of the e2 lithiums about 400 shots ago and they are doing just fine so far. Much better life then the rechargables that I was using.
09-09-2007, 02:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
That certainly seemed to be the case here! All of a sudden, gone! I'm glad I was able to get a few shots more after shutting down for a bit. Now I know that in 2-3 months time, I'll make sure I buy another set. I am very happy with the life-span of them so far.
Certainly way better than the rechargeables.
Thanks for the reply!
09-10-2007, 03:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Debb,
The battery level indicator was probably showing an intermittent decrease, but as I have noticed, if you turn the camera off the next meter reading will show full.....briefly, before dying completely.
warning signs to look for are slow.. (..er than normal) auto focus.
Lithiums are good, very good.... the only battery I have found that is better are the Sanyo Eneloops rechargeables, which reach their maximum after a few charges.
Grant

09-10-2007, 07:21 AM   #5

This has happened to me on the 2 sets I've already gone through. The battery meter does go to half and depleted very quickly (several minutes) before the camera gives me the depleted message.
09-10-2007, 09:08 AM   #6
roy
Inactive Account

i swear by the rayovac hybrides. 1200 shots, 50 flashes, over a months time. they don't self discharge. i've had them for aroung 4 months and i'm just waiting to get to the 3-4 times recharge to ck them again.
09-12-2007, 03:42 PM   #7
Forum Member

FWIW, I've had the same problem with the K10D using the Pentax battery, which I believe is also a Li-ion battery.